forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 29 Oct 10 3:36am

Pandaa

From Sydney Australia
Member since Wed 27 Oct 10

Re: Copha

Thanks Cengland. Am making Weetbix fruit slice as we speak, and am going to have another go at the chocolate icing. Will let you know how it goes. Got some Nestle Melts, so will have a go icing with that. Fingers crossed!

cengland wrote:

I discovered the crackly chocolate the first time I tried to use it as an icing on caramel slice.  It's a tricky judgment call.  Chocolate in a block can be pretty hard to cut or break.  No recipe ever really says this, but I find when using it as an icing, it has to be set just to a certain point and no more, so that it's still soft enough to slice through with a sharp knife, but not so soft that the knife will just drag rather than cut it.  I always tend to err a bit on one side or the other ...

But if the chocolate is a bit too hard set, cutting it with a hot knife can help; just have a cup or bowl of boiled water, dip the knife in till the knife is hot, then quickly wipe dry with a teatowel and cut away.  When the knife cools down, repeat the process until the slice is all cut.

Yes, Mummza, Copha is a vegetable oil shortening product predominantly made from coconut oil.  It's seriously good artery-clogging stuff that's been used in Australia for decades.  It's best known as a primary ingredient in Chocolate Crackles, where you make a mixture of Rice Bubbles (the breakfast cereal), icing sugar, dessicated coconut, cocoa and melted Copha; then you blob the mixture into patty cake papers and refrigerate it.  First-rate fete fare.

White Christmas is a similar thing, made from Rice Bubbles, milk powder, icing sugar, dried fruit and Copha.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 29 Oct 10 3:43am

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

That sounds like what we call "puppy chow"...it's cereal squares...Rice, Corn, Wheat Chex, in a mixture of chocolate and shortening (or butter), then cooled and dusted with confectioners sugar.

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 29 Oct 10 3:55am

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

I haven't been able to find a place to put this, but I read yesterday that when decorating cookies, if you put royal icing on them and let them dry until hard, you can then take a new rubber stamp and a new stamp pad, ink the pad with gel icing and make the stamp design (gently) on the cookie...opens up whole new areas for decorating.  You can then add a more 3-D effect with regular cookie frosting using a piping bag.  The ones I saw were in the shape of teapots and teacups.  Very pretty.

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 29 Oct 10 5:48am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Cool tip nanstertoo! I am going to pass it on to my my daughter, the cupcake queen! smile

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 29 Oct 10 8:18am

Pandaa

From Sydney Australia

That sounds pretty awesome! What's gen icing though???

nanstertoo wrote:

I haven't been able to find a place to put this, but I read yesterday that when decorating cookies, if you put royal icing on them and let them dry until hard, you can then take a new rubber stamp and a new stamp pad, ink the pad with gel icing and make the stamp design (gently) on the cookie...opens up whole new areas for decorating.  You can then add a more 3-D effect with regular cookie frosting using a piping bag.  The ones I saw were in the shape of teapots and teacups.  Very pretty.

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 29 Oct 10 8:21am

Pandaa

From Sydney Australia

Yes, very similar. In the recipe I did, you break up the Weetbix, mix with SR flour, cocoa and fruit, and mix with melted butter and golden syrup, then bake. It was good!

nanstertoo wrote:

That sounds like what we call "puppy chow"...it's cereal squares...Rice, Corn, Wheat Chex, in a mixture of chocolate and shortening (or butter), then cooled and dusted with confectioners sugar.

Likes (0)

#17 Sat 29 Sep 12 4:10am

rogerrabbit

Member since Sat 29 Sep 12

Next time melt sugar in microwave then add to copha

Likes (0)