Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 28 Oct 10 4:09pm

cl1306

From Kent, UK
Member since Thu 02 Sep 10

Boiled eggs in a curry?

Hi everyone, tonight i'm planning on doing a veggie curry with sweet potato, cauliflower etc etc quite similar to the one on 30 min meals last week (although i'll be using a korma paste as my parents like it mild!)
i was thinking of adding some protein in the form of a boiled egg each but i'm not sure how well this would work. has anyone ever tried boiled eggs in a curry before? did it turn out well?

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 28 Oct 10 4:13pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Boiled eggs in a curry?

Works in Kedgeree..which is curry based..and Biryani back in the day always came with sliced boiled egg and cucumber as a garnish...

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 28 Oct 10 4:43pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Yep.  There are a few traditional curry dishes that include boiled eggs, cut into quarters usually.  I can't look them up right now but rest assured: it's good!

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 28 Oct 10 4:44pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Hard boiled egg curry used to be quite common in the 70's, but personally I don't think I would add them to a cauliflower and sweetpotato etc curry.
I would be inclined to add chickpeas instead.I think the chickpeas would go better both in flavour and texture.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 30 Nov 10 7:31pm

sue arbon

Member since Thu 23 Aug 07

Egg curry, delicious my mother in law who was brougt up in India always made an egg curry, keep the eggs whole until just before you serve it, that way egg yolk and white stay more or less together.  Corned beef was sometimes added, which is also made a tasty dish, and last but not least she is the only lady I have heard of that turned breakfast sausages into a fine curry.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 30 Nov 10 11:41pm

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

And then there's good old curried egg sandwiches.   yummy

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 01 Dec 10 1:03am

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

yummy  never think a about a good curry in the morning when you did not have your food yet  big_smile
This sounds very good very nice... love to come over and try hehehehe thumbsup

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 01 Dec 10 4:32am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Mmmm Love curried eggs!

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 01 Dec 10 12:56pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

I am sorry but curried eggs  puke , takes me right back to the 70's, my mum would always do a plate of them for a buffet served on a bed of lettuce leaves right next to the foil wrapped potatoe covered in cheese and pineapples  roll .

I would agree with Mummza and go with the chick peas.

Gem

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 01 Dec 10 10:29pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Eggs in curry is SO different from curried eggs! I like them both, but one is from India and the other is from the 1960's (or 70's).

The eggs in curry are usually a creamy sauce with the boiled eggs added at the end, but I can imagine them being a good addition to other curries almost like a garnish.

I like this recipe
EGG CURRY WITH YOGHURT
Melt 50g ghee or butter in a large pan
Add
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tbsp finely grated ginger
1 onion chopped
Fry gently til soft and golden
Add a 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and a tsp of chili powder and stir for a few seconds.
Take off the heat
Add 5 tbsp of Greek style yoghurt a tbsp at a time, stirring until it is completely incorporated
Pop back on the heat adding a 227g tin of diced tomatoes and salt to taste, stirring again til hot.
Add 6 hard boiled eggs, spoon the sauce over them, cover the pan and simmer very gently for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle some chopped coriander over the top and serve immediately.

I only made it once because I need visitors to get through 6 eggs! But it was good! smile

PS What did you do Cl1306?

Likes (0)