forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 04 Nov 10 6:12pm

Binaatthelake

Occupation medical secretary
From Alberta Canada
Member since Fri 02 Apr 10

seed saving illegal

I just found out that saving seeds from year to year from the plants in your garden is going to be against the law in Canada.  It is already illegal in some countries, this seems so wrong.  I have seeds that have been in my family for over two centuries.....a spotted lettuce, why can't I continue to grow it? 
Gardenners, small farmers and organic farmers have been saving seeds and the genetics of these heirloom varieties for years and now free trade between the EU and Canada will make this act illegal. I will be contacting everyone I can think of to prevent this from going through, writing letters to editors and contacting the group in India to find out how they prevented this from happening in their country.  We need to preserve these seed stocks and genetic lines to safeguard them for future generations. 
Up the revolution....save seeds.
Cheers
Bina

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 04 Nov 10 7:25pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

Re: seed saving illegal

It sounds like tosh to me....

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 04 Nov 10 7:45pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

What's the reasoning behind this law? Except clearing the way for genetically enginered BS, that is?

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 04 Nov 10 8:07pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Where did you find thisout exactly??? and who would enforce if this was the case....are the mounties gonna turn up on your doorstep at 3 in the morning to arrest you for having seeds in the house...

Stop being a pillock and grow up... evil  big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 04 Nov 10 10:22pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I think seed saving is only illegal if it's from plants with breeders rights. And even then I doubt anyone will bother about it unless you plan to sell them. It's kind of like copyright on DVDs and books.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 04 Nov 10 10:23pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

There are a few things on the internet about this...
From what I can gather its mainly about farmers who have bought their cannola seed from a particular supplier who ' holds the rights to the plants DNA !
It is a particular brand of seed .

Binaatthelake , I think that you would be ok to keep the pretty lettuce going for many years by saving the seeds, from what I have read , its about the particular cannola seed and not things like the lettuce seeds that came into your family generations ago.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 04 Nov 10 10:48pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I think someone has a few loose seeds rattling around in their head.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 05 Nov 10 1:48am

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

SonomaEddie wrote:

I think someone has a few loose seeds rattling around in their head.

lol

It would be a very hard law to enforce...

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 05 Nov 10 4:00am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I know, you read this on the internet.  Do you want me to list things that have been written on the internet?  How about things that people BELIEVE that have been written on the internet? 
You are a university student, I hope you've taken some classes in logical thinking and figured out that just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it so.
It it did, we would all be laying in bathtubs with our kidneys missing and Osama bin Laden would be living in a guest room at the White House.  Stop being moved by fear.  It's an age-old tool that seems to work all the time.  Sad sad.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 05 Nov 10 4:05am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

Sigh.  Oh dear.

For those in fear, have a look at these threads in the forum:

http://www.jamieoliver.com:81/forum/vie … p?id=41025

http://www.jamieoliver.com:81/forum/vie … p?id=48190

If you were a commercial farmer, in clear breach of a company's seeds patent, and making money from what you were growing in breach of the patent, you might get the mounties showing up at your door.  If you are a private individual, growing your fruit, veg and herbs in your little patch in your backyard for your own use, I should think that firstly, they're highly unlikely to know about you and your veg patch, and secondly, they are unlikely really to care.

However well these films on the net are made, they are offering only one perspective on an issue.  People really need to read much more widely and judiciously, to have an accurate understanding and judgement of an issue.  You are a university student.  Have you learnt how to seek out multiple sources from different perspectives, to read them critically, and to form careful conclusions?

Last edited by cengland (Sat 06 Nov 10 7:48am)

Likes (0)