forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#81 Wed 24 Nov 10 12:55am

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

Re: seed saving illegal

Money for noting and the ... for free;) it comes up in my brain all the time i hear about nice money making stories.
I think they don't show up at your door because they need to spend there money on way more important thinks.There not like a good old China have the option of endless pumping people and money in it.
So when you don't talk about it and just go your way its for nobody possible to check.
And don't they need a good reason to check on you and kick the door?.Tell it to a law making person and he will smile and see .... yes MONEY

big_smile  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#82 Wed 24 Nov 10 1:10am

gardenstart

Member since Wed 17 Nov 10

I've reformed my ways, gonna stay out of politics, as it's not a very good thing to participate in these days.  Back to the garden!

Likes (0)

#83 Wed 24 Nov 10 1:24am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Just interested to hear opinions from any one who has seen 'The Future of Food'. A doco on Monsantos seed contolling, yes it's been said before but interesting viewing.

Likes (0)

#84 Wed 16 Mar 11 1:55am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

SonomaEddie wrote:

I think someone has a few loose seeds rattling around in their head.

It might be a hard law, unless the Canadians had some way to check the plants. 

Gardeners have been saving seeds since someone figured out how to garden.  There will be seed-savers, especially if the plant in question is an heirloom-variety.

Likes (0)

#85 Wed 16 Mar 11 3:34am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Heard about an international seed saving group that is collecting seeds from old varieties to keep them going.  Sounds so good to me.   

But I can't believe this thread was exhumed!  How long before the zombies return shocked  question  lol

Likes (0)

#86 Tue 12 Apr 11 6:33am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

SonomaEddie wrote:

Heard about an international seed saving group that is collecting seeds from old varieties to keep them going.  Sounds so good to me.   

But I can't believe this thread was exhumed!  How long before the zombies return shocked  question  lol

I didn't do it.   lol   I didn't even know this was an old thread.

Likes (0)

#87 Tue 12 Apr 11 1:30pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Here's the Australian link: http://www.seedsavers.net/
smile

(Just keeping the zombie lurching on another step)

Likes (0)

#88 Fri 03 Feb 12 7:00pm

SugarMagnolia

Member since Fri 03 Feb 12

Seed saving is illegal. I live in Vermont. February 1st, H.R. 13, declaring the inalienable right of all Vermonters to save and grow seeds, passed through the House of Representative, with a unanimous voice vote. Ofcourse, if you seed save at your house and plant those seeds in your yard, no one will knows about it. The law is mainly enforced amongst farmers, thanks to multinational corporations like Monsanto, forcing farmers to buy seeds every year, verses seed saving and using those to plant crops.

Below is a link for the Vermont State Legislature's site. On the far left hand side, go to "Legislative Research" and click "Read the Bill". Where is says "bill number", type in "HR13". Then click "As Introduced", under where it says in caps, "H.R. 13 HOUSE RESOLUTION DECLARING THE INALIENABLE RIGHT OF ALL VERMONTERS TO SAVE AND GROW SEEDS". Read the bill yourself. As unreal as it may sound, seed saving is illegal. Many things are illegal, but people still continue to do them. When your a farmer, you have the government up your you know what all the time, so its hard to get away with anything.

Likes (0)

#89 Fri 03 Feb 12 7:28pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Can you provide a link?  Everything I can find on Vermont State Legislature's HR 13 bill states that the bill will insure your inalienable right to save and grow seed.  I see nowhere where it states that it is illegal to save and grow seed in the state of Vermont.

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 03 Feb 12 7:36pm)

Likes (0)

#90 Fri 03 Feb 12 9:00pm

SugarMagnolia

Member since Fri 03 Feb 12

Uhmmm... lol The point of HR13 is to give people who live in the state of Vermont the right to seed save, because its illegal. If it wasn't illegal, they wouldn't have to pass a bill that give people the right to save seeds and plant those seeds.

Likes (0)