forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 04 Dec 10 12:13pm

Girl next door

Occupation Student
From Germany - Muensterland
Member since Thu 02 Dec 10

What to use instead of garlic?

I am garlic intolerance, I'm not able to eat a little bit of it. . .
But there are so many recipes made with garlic, and I want to know if there is something I can use instead of it? Is there a herb or something that taste near to garlic?
Someone told me I could use ramson, is it true?

Thanks in advance!

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 04 Dec 10 12:19pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: What to use instead of garlic?

I don't know about the ramson, but you might try asafetida.  It's supposed to taste a bit garlicky and oniony in cooking - but I'm afraid that's just hearsay on my part as I've never tried it!

Doing a google search, ramsons seem to also be reasonable option, but again, I haven't tried it ...

Good luck in finding something!

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 04 Dec 10 1:17pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum Girl next door  smile

I don't find that asafetida has a garlicky taste at all...its very pungent and you only need a tiny bit of it when cooking with it.
Don't think I would use it .
I use it in Indian cooking and even then , not very often.

To be honest, if you don't like it just leave it out, I think in most recipes it just add a little more flavour but is not essential.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 04 Dec 10 3:23pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Ramsons (Bärlauch) are also called wild garlic, and they do have a garlicky taste.  It tastes milder and greener than garlic; like spring onions compared to 'normal' onions.  Problem is they're very seasonal, so you'll only be able to get them in spring. 

Definitely recommend trying asafoetida (heisst auf Deutsch glaubs Teufelsdreck puke).  When using asafoetida, add it to the hot oil or butter at the beginning of the cooking.  Don't add it halfway through like you would with some other spices.  It releases the garlic flavours best in the hot fat.  You only need a TINY amount, otherwise it will ruin the dish.  It's a seriously strong herb!  You can usually buy it in Asian/Indian shops or health food stores (it's used in Ayurvedic cooking).

Übrigens:  "Asant ist besonders beliebt bei indischen Brahmanen, denen der Genuss von Zwiebeln und Knoblauch auch aufgrund ihrer angeblichen aphrodisierenden Wirkung verboten ist." (Wiki)   whistle lol

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 04 Dec 10 4:45pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

You might try garlic chives.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 04 Dec 10 4:50pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

Or maybe shallots.  I love the flavor, and they're not as pungent as garlic.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 04 Dec 10 7:33pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

asafoetida  might also be called hing  if you are looking for it in an East Indian market. It usually comes powdered.  It has a very distinct flavour but I personally don't think it is much like garlic flavour.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#8 Sun 05 Dec 10 8:18am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Yep when I tried asafoetida it tasted like old socks smell puke , well kind of, prefer garlic chives or leaving the garlic out all together if necessary and substituting another flavour depending on the dish being cooked e.g. putting red wine into spagetti sauce if garlic is unavailable or sometimes even when it is. whistle

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 05 Dec 10 10:50am

Girl next door

Occupation Student
From Germany - Muensterland
Member since Thu 02 Dec 10

Thank you for all your answers!
I think i am trying ramson when ist has season, and garlic chives sounds good!
But i don't know where to get asafoetida. . . we don't have an east india or chinese market. And it sounds a bit 'dagerous' in taste wink
I think i have to try some options, and you gave me a lot of inspiration.
But if garlic isn't so essantial for the flavour i will leave it out.

Thank you!

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 05 Dec 10 11:37am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Asafetida , (often known as Hing  as Ashen has pointed out ) is fine in the right sort of cuisine, but I would definatly not use it as a general thing like you would use garlic in a recipe.
With Asafetida , you only need the tiniest of quantities to change the taste of the recipe. It smells terrible , but can be good if used in the right way.
Its mostly used in Indian cooking.

I would not consider it as a substitute for garlic in any way.

Likes (0)