forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 20 Dec 10 12:06pm

Baron Weasel

Member since Mon 20 Dec 10

Where can I buy Unpasteurised Milk

Hi folks,

Anyone know where I can get unpasteurised milk nr Windermere in the Lake District, UK?

I have been reading evidence that it is extremely healthy and can even reduce many modern illness's such as asthma - the law says that unpasteurised milk cannot be sold in the shops because unhealthy grain fed Holstein cows routinely have high levels of pathogenic bacteria in them.

What I want to buy is some good old fashioned milk from good old fashioned cows that have had their correct diet of grasses, clover, wild herbs and flowers... Anyone else feel like this, or should I just shut up and accept the govenments view that we should all have processed milk and suppliment our diets with Yakult?

In the US they have The Campaign for Real Milk (based on ours for real ale) and their website makes interesting reading.

www.realmilk.com

Baron Weasel

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 20 Dec 10 12:36pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Re: Where can I buy Unpasteurised Milk

Your best option will be to find an Organic Dairy Farmer and try to buy direct from him. Whether or not he's allowed to sell it to you or whether he will is another story.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 20 Dec 10 12:57pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum Baron Weasel  smile

The raw milk verses pasteurized milk debate has been going on for ages.

Personally , although I drank it as a child ( and still had asthma !) I feel happier now we have pasturised milk.

It is not only Holstein cows that can contain bacteria and the milk is pasturised for a reason. Salmonella, ecoli 0157 , Brucellosis , Campylobacter , Tuberculosis ,
Q fever , can sometimes be caused by drinking unpasteurized milk  and can be caught from any cow........not just Holsteins .

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 20 Dec 10 2:03pm

Baron Weasel

Hi Mummza,

you are right, I shouldn't make Holsteins the scape 'goats'. I simply mention them as they form the bulk of the UK dairy herd, the bulk of which are grain fed instead of being allowed to eat what cows eat naturally which is species diverse pasture land.

My reading suggests that the factory techniques used to produce ruminants such as cows makes it not only more likely, but quite probable that they will be affected by diseases that can pass into milk... making pasteurisation necessary... (I came across the figure of 1 in 4 factory cows in the UK needing antibiotics at some stage in their life?)

You say that "Salmonella, ecoli 0157 , Brucellosis , Campylobacter , Tuberculosis ,
Q fever , can sometimes be caused by drinking unpasteurized milk"

Personally I think that I should have a free choice in a democratic society to decide if I want to take a risk which could have great health benefits too - after all, I am free to go and buy tobacco products which may cause cancer, emphysema, death et cetera...

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 20 Dec 10 2:05pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

There are directories of raw dairy producers here:

http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/resource … ndex.shtml

http://www.naturalfoodfinder.co.uk/unpa … aw-milk-uk

We get Demeter milk at home in Switzerland.  It's raw milk from bio-dynamic/organic farms, and really delicious.  Really miss that stuff!  Hope you find a source.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 20 Dec 10 2:29pm

Baron Weasel

That's great Anna!

How often do people get ill from the Demeter milk? - I bet it's pretty rare!

Really enjoyed the video on the natural food finder link you posted - I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in exactly what happens to the food we consume!

Baron Weasel

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 20 Dec 10 3:43pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland

It's quite the handy link.

I have no idea how often/whether people get ill from the milk.  I doubt it's very often, as the product would have been pulled otherwise.  So saying, the usual precautions apply (same as with raw eggs): I wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable giving it to someone who's never had raw milk before, for example.  It also doesn't keep as long as the usual supermarket variety.  In summer it will turn sour within two or three days - which is probably normal for milk, and expecting it to last a week is a recent development. 

At any rate, we always had raw milk as kids and are still here to tell the tale.  smile

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 20 Dec 10 5:50pm

leilabellydance

Hi Baron

I buy unpasteurised buffalo and cows' milk from my local farmers' market (www.lfm.org).

As far as I know the cows are all grass-fed, which is how you should buy your meat, too.

There may be some health risks, I don't know - I haven't experienced any or heard of anyone else who has. On the other hand there is no evidence to support humans drinking cows' milk full stop - it's not what cavemen did.

My motto is always if it's natural, then it's more than likely to be better for you. The less adulterated food is, and the closer to it's natural state the better.

I believe that conditions such as asthma and eczema are modern conditions caused by altered food. People who are often 'lactose-intolerant' are, in my opinion, intolerant to milk that is heat-treated which causes the milk to turn into nothing but sugary (lactose) water, with few nutrients.

If I cannot obtain unpasteurised milk, then I opt for organic soya milk - although I do question whether this is good for us or not.

It's also worth noting that many of the best cheeses are made from unpasteurised milk, and people don't seem to get ill from eating those cheeses.

I hope this helps.

Leila

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 20 Dec 10 6:50pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland

Leila, your link doesn't work.

Not sure I agree that asthma, eczema etc. are caused by modern foodstuffs. Personally, my eczema flares up when I consume too much milk or dairy products - raw, organic, pasteurized, goat, cow, whatever.  There are plenty of traditional remedies for these illnesses, suggesting people have been afflicted by similar conditions for a very long time indeed.  I have a late Anglo-Saxon recipe for treating skin conditions that involves boiling a goose down to mush.   neutral

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 20 Dec 10 9:29pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Ask in your local farm shop, they will know if there is a dairy farm near you. I buy "at the gate" from a small farm 2 miles from me, they make the best ice cream too.

Likes (0)