forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 25 Jan 11 9:38pm

Andie101

Occupation I'm on sabbatical...
From Mexico City
Member since Sun 18 Jul 10

Gallbladder removal diet...

My boyfriend is having his gallbladder removed this Friday due to "gallstones". I've read on several web-sites that after the removal you need to have a: less fat easier to digest diet.
He (the boyfriend) is only 20! And has horrid eating habits (which I have tried to change for the last 4 years that we've been together, without much success I might add). He hates veggies and loves red meat and is having a really hard time accepting he needs to change his eating habits, so do want to make things easier for him...
Any suggestions as to nice yummy dishes he might enjoy? That aren't loaded with fats and that are easy to digest?  yummy

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 25 Jan 11 10:13pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Gallbladder removal diet...

Actually all he need do is eat no fat til the surgery (so as not to push any more stones out) and then take it easy on the fat afterwards. Other than that he can have a normal diet. Check with the surgeon obviously but he should be fine. The liver will produce bile to help consume fats.

a relative had theirs out a couple of years back

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 25 Jan 11 11:17pm

Andie101

Occupation I'm on sabbatical...
From Mexico City
Member since Sun 18 Jul 10

smile TheWhiteRabbit, thanks for your reply n.n Yes he is in an "all veggies and chicken diet" until Friday... I was asking because his sister (16) had her gallbladder removed last year and the doctor gave her this really strict diet. I don't know if you've seen my profile but I live in Mexico, so most of our meals usually have loads of oil and are fried and, well, spicy...  And like I said he rather have a hamburger with fries and soda instead of a healthier meal.
Thanks though! n.n

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 25 Jan 11 11:21pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

In which case he could probably do with more vegies in his diet. 16 is pretty young for a gall bladder problem. Everyone i know who has had it has been in their 40s or 50s.

Spicy should not be a problem for gall bladders, fat is the thing that messes with them.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 25 Jan 11 11:34pm

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia
Member since Sun 23 Nov 08

I had my gall bladder removed many years ago and, providing I do not eat fatty foods to excess I eat , pretty much, what I like. Your b/f will find that with no gall bladder he will be very uncomfortable if he eats too much of the wrong foods. I still  eat fried foods and creamy/fatty stuff but IN MODERATON exclaim  That is the key to it in my opinion. I am no expert but this is what I find. When I eat the wrong foods I find I get ,sort of like, reflux?, or regurgitation? and it is not very pleasant yikes and that is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow thumbsup  (well, most of the time wink  tongue ).

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 25 Jan 11 11:40pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

He may like fried food, but the pain of gall bladder episodes should keep him happily eating salad till the operation!

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 27 Jan 11 2:27am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

janiz wrote:

I had my gall bladder removed many years ago and, providing I do not eat fatty foods to excess I eat , pretty much, what I like. Your b/f will find that with no gall bladder he will be very uncomfortable if he eats too much of the wrong foods. I still  eat fried foods and creamy/fatty stuff but IN MODERATON exclaim  That is the key to it in my opinion. I am no expert but this is what I find. When I eat the wrong foods I find I get ,sort of like, reflux?, or regurgitation? and it is not very pleasant yikes and that is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow thumbsup  (well, most of the time wink  tongue ).

So how do you go with things like butter and cheese (like on sandwiches)?

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 27 Jan 11 3:05am

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia
Member since Sun 23 Nov 08

The White Rabbit wrote:

janiz wrote:

So how do you go with things like butter and cheese (like on sandwiches)?

Providing I do not lay the butter on too thick (but atm we are not eating bread so no butter wink ) I am fine thumbsup  Cheese...I can eat cheese in reasonable amounts, not making a pig of myself with no problem. I find that some pastas, that I have eaten when out, that are cream based make me not well, so I do not choose them. I know that I have "overdone it" within about 30 minutes of eating the wrong thing...I get to  enjoy it  hmm  as it comes back up oops  oops  oops not nice

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 27 Jan 11 5:54am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

no, not nice....will keep this in mond when cooking for the gall bladder less

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 27 Jan 11 6:43am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

I guess if he likes a hamburger with fries, and won't yet eat plenty of vegetables, you could start by making him a burger with lean meat, an unbuttered burger bun, and serving it with oven-cooked chips.

He could sometimes have a chicken burger instead of a red meat burger (especially if the doctor wants him on chicken rather than red meat).  You can just beat a skinless chicken breast fillet flat, season it, and cook it in a non-stick pan with a smear of oil.

But really, if someone 'hates veggies' and just won't eat them, I think there's not a lot anyone else can do to help him have a healthy diet until he decides and accepts he needs to change.

I can never quite accept, though, that someone simply 'hates veggies'.  There are enormous numbers of veggies in the world, and multiple ways of cooking them.  There may be some veggies they don't like, or ways of cooking some vegetables that they don't like, but to say you 'hate veggies' is too all-encompassing and just sounds like prejudice, perhaps because you think they're healthy and therefore 'must' be boring.

I think people who say they don't like veggies are more willing to eat them if they're cooked as a gratin, baked with a tomato or bechamel sauce and a cheese/breadcrumb topping.  You can make a low-fat bechamel by just whisking flour or cornflour directly into cold milk before cooking it, rather than mixing the flour with butter (just don't forget some salt!).  You can also use half chicken stock and half milk, for extra flavour.  You can use low-fat cheese, or just a tiny bit of Parmesan, mixed with breadcrumbs, for the gratin topping.

I think there are many ways of reducing fat in cooking, even in traditional recipes.  It makes the food a bit different, but not worse.  What does he eat apart from burgers and fries?  If you have any dishes that you know he likes, if you post the recipes, we could see if we can make suggestions about how to reduce the fat in them.  But I do think it's up to him to make a decision to eat more vegetables.

Last edited by cengland (Thu 27 Jan 11 6:43am)

Likes (0)