forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#121 Sun 20 May 12 12:03am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: Gardening ~ What are you up to?

This year I ventured in sowing many vegs starting from my own 2011 seeds or biologic bought ones, avoiding as we all did once all the ready grown plants that are availabel at the market or in the nurseries. It needs a lot of patience and care to follow them till they are ready to be transplanted in my orto or campo, in fact my husband keeps asking me when the terrazza will be free for us to sit there without stomping pots and boxes with all sorts of vegs that still need protection or have been sown later in spring. I have finished planting tomatoes or given them away to friends aand relatives, planted peppers and aubergines. Courgettes and cucumbers are out there but melons and peperoncini still in pots. I would need 24 hours for the gardening, 24 for the house, 24 for me and it would not be enough so I do all that random and at the end of a day I sometimes feel that I have spent my time as it had to be smile

Likes (0)

#122 Sun 20 May 12 11:41am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

After weeks of nagging, my gardener finally appeared today. In the dry cold season we only need him every month or so but now, the hot wet season, it's virtually every week. It took him two hours to locate and evacuate the Viet Cong prior to being able to start!

Likes (0)

#123 Sun 20 May 12 12:33pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

lol  Beerforyorky!
I bet it looked good after the work was done!

Mada, you are nearly a full time gardener too!

My garden is calling. I need to pull out the basil (which is flowering, but looking sadder and sadder as the days get colder), crop some more leaves from my stevia (which is in full flower too), cut back the mints....
Do you think that documenting this might mean I will actually do it tomorrow?

crossed  crossed  crossed  help  whistle

Likes (0)

#124 Sun 20 May 12 8:07pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Probably not !!!  lol

Today I have spent 2 hours strimming down all the weeds that have grown up over the past few weeks when the rain has prevented me getting onto the garden proper. It will make digging out the roots easier & will prevent them from seeding.

I have one large area that I want to turn into a large fruit garden, it has never been dug over in living memory, & judging by the number of old bricks excavated from the adjacent bed, it is going to be back-breaking work. I have already bought/acquired/liberated a number of currant bushes (black, white & red) so am committed to the work ahead or else lose them to summer drought. The Rhubarb crowns are also earmarked to be split later in the year, so space ahead of time has to be found for the new crowns. Another heavy bit of digging to look forward to!

On the upside, I have located a good source of spent organic mushroom compost, & have been offered a really good tonnage price. Big relief, as everywhere else was 'cost-a-bomb' prices.

Likes (0)

#125 Sun 20 May 12 9:52pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

shocked I had half a carriage for 20 euros in spring and i did not use it all even if there are little spaces in my orto whee I did not dig it into the soil.
one day I must take a pic of the sovescio in flower in my campo, I could just sit there and watch  smile

Likes (0)

#126 Mon 21 May 12 1:44am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

lol  Beerforyorky!

It suffered a little during the dry season.

http://freebeerforyorky.com/images/IMGP0140.JPG

Cheers

Y

Likes (0)

#127 Mon 21 May 12 2:59am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Pretty property bfy!  The clear skies are nice too!

Likes (0)

#128 Mon 21 May 12 8:54am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

beerforyorky wrote:

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

lol  Beerforyorky!

It suffered a little during the dry season.

http://freebeerforyorky.com/images/IMGP0140.JPG

Cheers

Y

thumbsup  big_smile

Likes (0)

#129 Mon 21 May 12 9:27am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Great garden B4Y! cool

PS Min was right, I did nothing in the garden today, even though it was a gorgeous autumn sunny day.
Maybe tomorrow?

Mada I cannot work out this 'half a carriage'? question 
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OH0slPfnwZg/T … gton08.jpg
or maybe
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3302/354 … 9ef576.jpg

question

Likes (0)

#130 Mon 21 May 12 2:41pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

lol  lol  lol  shocked cart think
www.google.it/search?q=carro+spandileta … v8gPi0tDcB
I think it was like the first pic smile
............ and by the time you say that's enough, the wheel has shot a mountain of smelly good stuff to be dug into your orto, 
I'm starting to see the effects of it in my flourishing roses, and in the amount of apples ( crossed ) hanging from my russet apple tree

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Mon 21 May 12 2:46pm)

Likes (0)