forum: Food & Drink
- From New York
- Member since Fri 12 Dec 08
Re: What are some tips for weight loss for teens?
Hmmm, I remember my weight problems began when I was a teenager and if I knew then what I know now about nutrition I think I could have made a real big change in my life starting then. So here is my advice to you.
- Learn to love physical activity. Be active in a way that enhances your mind, your body and your spirit. Try different things like dancing, jogging, tennis, aerobics classes, hiking, just keep trying new things until you find the combination of activities that become part of you.
- Lead an active lifestyle. My past-times with my friends, boyfriends etc was eating, and going to the movies. Find something you can do with friends that is activity based like hiking or bike riding, or going surfing, make activities part of your social calendar.
- Do not diet. Dieting can lead to bingeing and other type of disordered eating. Instead, focus on avoiding foods with sugar, avoiding processed food, and eating as many fruits and fresh vegetables as you can.
- Pick a choice of 1 or 2 breakfast items and stick with those. For example, I eat yogurt with almonds every day for breakfast. I don't have to think about it, I don't have to find something else to eat, it's automatic pilot and I get my good breakfast in without fussing.
- Focus your plate on protein and vegetables. Starchy foods should be just a small side dish and nothing more. Limit carbs and starchy foods as much as you can, these have the most calories and cause the most sugar spikes.
- Avoid Sugar and watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z5X0i92 … ure=g-high