Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 30 Mar 11 11:55am

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

Ricotta cheese alternative

I'm going to make a Ricotta, tomato and spinach Frittata but were not keen on Ricotta although I love the sound of the recipe. Is there an alternative i could use say like Mascapone or Creme Fraiche maybe. I'll pop on the recipe below to give an idea of what's also in it

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion , finely sliced
300g cherry tomatoes
100g spinach leaves
small handful basil leaves
100g ricotta
6 eggs , beaten
salad , to serve

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the onion for 5-6 mins until softened and lightly golden. Add the tomatoes and toss for 1 min to soften.

Remove from the heat, add the spinach leaves and basil, and toss together to wilt a little.

Transfer all the ingredients to a greased 30cm x 20cm rectangular baking tin. Take small scoops of the ricotta and dot over the vegetables.

Season the eggs and beat well, then pour over the vegetables and cheese. Cook in the oven for 20-25 mins until pale golden and set. big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 30 Mar 11 2:46pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Re: Ricotta cheese alternative

What about some sort of fetta or would you think it too salty?
I would like a sheeps milk fetta in a recipe like that one. yummy

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 30 Mar 11 2:46pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

try it with small cubes of a good melting cheese  scattered over the top.  fontina, gruyere , even just some good mozzarella.

It will taste good, although I am not sure if I would classify that as a frittata.  It is more like an oven baked egg casserole.  Still nothing wrong with that , as it  should taste good.

I will probably get a  reaction to that . lol

A simple analogy should some up my thoughts though, a smart car and a ferrari are both cars, but a smart car will never be a ferrari.  wink

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#4 Wed 30 Mar 11 3:18pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

.....A simple analogy should some up my thoughts though, a smart car and a ferrari are both cars, but a smart car will never be a ferrari.  ......

Wise words there Ashen but very true    big_smile

'Im liking the sound of the Mozzerella scattered over the top.

Sheeps milk Feta, ive never tried that, i do like Feta cheese though so i maywell like that.

But i think this time i will stick to Mozzerella. thumbsup

Last edited by joobes (Wed 30 Mar 11 3:18pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 31 Mar 11 1:44pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Feta cheese would be my first choice, just make sure you adjust the rest of the recipe in terms of salt since feta tends to be very salty.

Second choice is cream cheese.  It melts great and adds a gooey tartness you can't beat.

Definitely no creme fraiche or mascarpone, these will melt into nothingness.

Likes (0)