forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 30 Apr 11 8:22pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

New/old hobby... past time, what is yours?

I have always collected postage stamps, could never throw a stamp in the rubbish bin, i have them classed by country and value, one of my sons became interested ... for a while...

A more recent past time is making jewellery, earings and necklaces to sell and have sold privately 18 pairs of earings, i can spend hours mounting the styles which will finally please my taste and then hopefully please others...then to inspect a last time and finalise. Soon i'll sell them on the net (hopefully).
My sons girl-friend asked me how i could not keep them for my-self, and i answered that its a bit like working in a chocolate/sweet factory..!

Now i want to make my own liqueur wines, our English friends have offered me two 'demijohns' (always makes me think of mens undershorts)...strange!
So i bought a second hand book called "Wines from the Counryside" by Ben Turner when last in GB, and a few accessories from a great shop in Essex, my first liqueur will be made from organic apricots and vodka.

Meantime i do loads of gardening and cooking.

Id love to know of your hobbies smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 30 Apr 11 8:57pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: New/old hobby... past time, what is yours?

Bobbin Lace & Cushion Lace-making
Quilting
Tatting
Hooky Rug-making

..........all old-fashioned houseskills.

Mostly deemed unimportant by younger people who can buy inferior but very cheap, factory-produced equivalents. A shame.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 30 Apr 11 9:12pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

i love bobbin lace.

I collect china tea pots, I like to collect white linens especially with bobbin lace or embroidery.

I like jewellery making, drawing and customising clothes and shoes. I like painting furniture too.

oh and a bit of gardening.

Last edited by DebDiMaggio (Sat 30 Apr 11 9:12pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 30 Apr 11 9:21pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Wargaming (Warmachine & Hordes mostly), and by default miniature painting and terrain modeling. And I've been a DungeonMaster since I was 14. GO NERDS!  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 30 Apr 11 9:21pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I used to make country wines , but all that stopped when we moved to the city.
I have made a rug in the past Minerva , and ,also done many diferent needlecrafts.
I used to make earings also Kye , but have not done so for years.
I have a few embroideries and tapestrys that need finishing when I am able.
Tatting , I was at good at , it turned out more tatty than tatting !!
I got in a real tangle with lace making as well !
I long to get back to making leaded light windows , that was such fun once you got over the fear of handling the glass.
Pottery , I tried and was pretty bad at it !
I collected stamps as a child/teenager but my sister seemed at somehow 'aquire' the album full of stamps .
Knitting ...well you should have seen my efforts their ....best forgotten !
Paints, papier  machier, embossing , glueing and sticking almost anything together etc etc I still find fun.
I recently made wedding invites for a great nephew but card making is something that I have never really done much of.

I hope to get back to various handicrafts at some time but at the moment all these things are just being thought about !

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 30 Apr 11 9:38pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I used to do a lot of Aran & Shetland knitting.
The Aran grows very quickly being knitted on big needles, I could finish a man's jumper in 4-5 days (I knit the seams too, rather than sewing them).
The Shetland patterns are done on a circular needle so there is no seam in the yoke, & then knitted in one piece (then I knitted the seams together when the jumper was complete).................the more complex the pattern, the more I had to concentrate. It makes for murder or divorce if anyone speaks to you during the hard bits!!!

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 30 Apr 11 10:48pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Crochet mats, cuishions when i was a kid, learnt to knit alone and made all my kids jumpers and hooded capes in their baby years, little trousers and when they were older i did shetland too and other jumpers with Disney designs...until they told me to stop!

Hubby also had a lot of of Shetlands and my Dad too.

Just recently i have knitted mad woolen collers for a friend and she loves them so much....the type that you can wrap around your neck twice for extra warmth.

minni, i could never have had your patience for real Shetland, i followed zig-zag patterns for a sort of Scottish thing that worked well for me.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 30 Apr 11 11:43pm

Kye

Forum super champ

DebDiMaggio wrote:

i love bobbin lace.

I collect china tea pots, I like to collect white linens especially with bobbin lace or embroidery.

I like jewellery making, drawing and customising clothes and shoes. I like painting furniture too.

oh and a bit of gardening.

Dont know 'bobbin lace' i have yards of old lace pinned to the shelves of my ancient armoir...

Each time i go the GB i bring back an oldy style tea pot for my shelves.

Jewellery making along with clothes are my favorite pass times at the mo....along with ancient tapestry cushions and curtains.

I also love to visit car boot sales and second hand boutiques in GB/antique shops in France where i'll always find a little something that can be repaired, repainted and put to use in the house.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 01 May 11 1:09am

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia
Member since Sun 23 Nov 08

In the past I have done pottery, ceramics and folk art and now I go to a quilting class (lots of food, lots of chat and some sewing wink  big_smile ). I work very slowly but then there is no rush......
I have made an heirloom quilt with family photos on it, a cot quilt for my g/daughter, and another quilt that it in the cupboard that I made just because I like it thumbsup  I am almost finished another quilt for my g/daughter that looks like the rooms of a dolls house http://www.theozmaterialgirls.com/image … -400wi.jpg

When I have finished that one, I am making a quilt as a gift for my sons wedding.

Apart from quilting I love to cook big_smile  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 01 May 11 1:19am

Kye

Forum super champ

Such beautiful work janiz, really beautifully thought out and with so much love, i hope that one day it will become a wall hanging, a never to forget heirloom.  smile

Likes (0)