forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sun 01 May 11 4:59pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: New/old hobby... past time, what is yours?

I have done needlework - embroidery and crewel, crocheted, learned to throw pots on a wheel, but didn't have time to become good at it; painting (oils, acrylics and I've dabbled in watercolors) jewelry-making and now I'd like to try beading clothing and other items; gardening; I collected Thai woven silks and Japanese printed papers during the travel years.

Likes (0)

#22 Mon 02 May 11 10:47pm

SmellyCat

Occupation Musician, arts admin
From Birmingham, UK
Member since Wed 22 Dec 10

I would love to go back to horseriding if I ever start earning enough. I got quite good at it in my teens and early twenties.

Likes (0)

#23 Mon 02 May 11 11:05pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

Likes (0)

#24 Mon 02 May 11 11:08pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

I loved horse riding when i was a kid, did four years 12-16, wonderful memories.

I also write a lot.

Likes (0)

#25 Mon 02 May 11 11:13pm

Kye

Forum super champ

DebDiMaggio wrote:

Kye this is bobbin lace

http://www.sights-and-culture.com/Germa … pillow.jpg

Oh wow Debs!! you do that? i have seen women in markets, and also men with their bobbins. Not where i live but more into the mountains, i remember them well when we visited local stalls and such.

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 02 May 11 11:14pm

Kye

Forum super champ

MsPablo wrote:

I have done needlework - embroidery and crewel, crocheted, learned to throw pots on a wheel, but didn't have time to become good at it; painting (oils, acrylics and I've dabbled in watercolors) jewelry-making and now I'd like to try beading clothing and other items; gardening; I collected Thai woven silks and Japanese printed papers during the travel years.

What is 'crewel' Msp?

Likes (0)

#27 Tue 03 May 11 10:05am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I've always loved making and designing things - these days I do petit point (but I've got about six projects on the go, none of which progress very quickly), lots of sewing (cushion covers, curtains, blinds etc), and I'm about to embark upon teaching myself how to do basic upholstery and recovering chairs, sofas, etc.  I also collect wallpaper samples and cover items with them - such as shoe boxes to give away as gift boxes for Christmas and birthdays, which can easily be varnished to make an extra present - and I also cover photo frames with fabric scraps, gift wrap, wallpaper, etc to make individual and unique presents, some of which I sell at local craft fairs. I also cover my own lampshades.  And papier mache and decoupage arefun hobbies of mine as well.  That is not to mention cooking and baking which seem to take up most of my time. And, of course, photography!  Keeps me busy, I guess!

Edited for spelling  oops

Last edited by oliviascotland (Tue 03 May 11 10:07am)

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 03 May 11 10:08am

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

kye in france wrote:

DebDiMaggio wrote:

Kye this is bobbin lace

http://www.sights-and-culture.com/Germa … pillow.jpg

Oh wow Debs!! you do that? i have seen women in markets, and also men with their bobbins. Not where i live but more into the mountains, i remember them well when we visited local stalls and such.

no I don't do it, it's really hard. I like to buy second hand pieces that people don't know how to value and discard in chairty shops and flea markets.

Likes (0)

#29 Tue 03 May 11 12:54pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

SmellyCat wrote:

I would love to go back to horseriding if I ever start earning enough. I got quite good at it in my teens and early twenties.

Oh, I miss horse riding, too.  I did it for years growing up and only stopped when I was 14 and we moved to a city and I didn't have access to horses anymore.   sad

Likes (0)

#30 Tue 03 May 11 1:56pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

kye in france wrote:

MsPablo wrote:

What is 'crewel' Msp?

It's a type of embroidery using wool.

Likes (0)