forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 03 Jun 11 5:05pm

gillyfordatkins

Member since Thu 19 May 11

Bee Hives

I am trying to find someone who wants to put a bee hive in my garden, Have tried the local bee keepers site with no luck!  help

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 03 Jun 11 6:38pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Bee Hives

Friends here in France have three beehives that they ordered and had delivered, installed around their lake. They then realised that they were so easy to build that they made two more.

Where are you living?

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 06 Jun 11 2:14pm

gillyfordatkins

Hiya. I live in Surrey in England. But what I would like is for a Bee keeper to use my garden, maybe exchange some honey for garden produce. I have contacted the local Bee Keepers Ass, but no one has taken up my offer or request. angry

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 06 Jun 11 2:39pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

ask someone else and you'll be more fortunte, in Italy there are beekeepers that go far away with their bees to collect pollen or honey, do not give up, that's a good idea you had and giving space to bees is a winning move for us all clap  thumbsup
google beekeepers associations in other counties and let us know wink

http://www.bbka.org.uk/

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Mon 06 Jun 11 2:41pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 06 Jun 11 2:44pm

gillyfordatkins

Thank you Grand_Ma  will do smile

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 06 Jun 11 8:09pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Good luck.  I so miss having bees here.  I miss the best honey I'd ever eaten and so does my family at Christmas.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 06 Jun 11 8:29pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I have just tasted  marasca honey Eddie and believe me, you must hide it otherwise you would eat the whole jar. It's quite expensive and stored in little jars to let you think it has to be eaten with religion smile  roll  roll

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 06 Jun 11 11:04pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Have found an adopt a beehive thread, perhaps you will find something to help you:

http://www.adoptabeehive.co.uk/  perhaps contact them to talk about your idea...

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 06 Jun 11 11:12pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

My friend has just bought a bee hive for her garden , she had to go on a  short bee keeping course , and , to my suprise the bees are arriving by post very soon !

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 06 Jun 11 11:23pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Wonderful news, id love to do the same, but just to let them do their thing without having to approach the hive, i would have to hire someone. I have two different families in the garden, one of which lives just in front of my bay window in the kitchen,

the baby bees are sceptic when they arrive and when i have changed something about, the table or chairs or even deplacing a bucket will cause a little chaos, they fly back and forth until they remember where they live, sometimes arriving on my kitchen floor too and they search about and head for outside.

Likes (0)