Re: Bee Hives

magnolia flowers are crowded with bees if it doesn't rain

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 06 Jun 11 11:46pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

When the first rain storm arrived and then ceased all the baby bees were on the biggest leaves in the garden, it was wonderful to see them.

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 07 Jun 11 4:48pm

gillyfordatkins

Member since Thu 19 May 11

Thanks for all your help. I wanted someone to put one of their hives in my garden and maybe swap honey for veg?  Fingers crossed

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 07 Jun 11 4:54pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

crossed how big is your garden? if the beekeeper must come and check the hive, he will probably ask you to bring there more than one, otherwise it would be no worth for him to come and go for only 1. When one starts being interested in bees and honey, sooner or later he becomes a passionate, why not follow a course on bee keeping as a start and get thus in touch with this wonderful world

dai dai siamo con te big_smile  go go we are with you

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 07 Jun 11 7:33pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Surrey Beekeepers Association
http://www.surreybeekeepers.org.uk/

gillyfordatkins , I am sure the Surrey Beekeepers Association might be able to help in some way , have you been in contact with them yet ?

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 07 Jun 11 7:52pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

thumbsup  clap mummza wink

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 09 Jun 11 12:50pm

gillyfordatkins

Member since Thu 19 May 11

Hi Mummza

Thank you for your advise.
Have been in touch with them and I am awaiting contact from them.

My back garden is 180 ft long and 80 ft at the front.

The back backs onto farm land, and we grow increasing amounts of veg anf fruit, what we cannot eat I will freeze or make jams and chutneys some of which i give to my nephews families as a hamper at xmas.

I make a mean mango chutney and no we havent grown mango yet!!!!  wink

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 09 Jun 11 3:01pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Sounds like you had better join he W.I. and start making things to sell gillyfordatkins.
http://www.thewi.org.uk/section.aspx?id=9

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 15 Jun 11 11:52am

ipibnradio

From United States
Member since Wed 15 Jun 11

I heard that to cut down on allergies and reactions to honey that getting honey from a local keeper to your home location is the best honey for your body tolerance?  Is this true?  Also - GrandMa - I have never heard of Marasca honey... where is it from?  I live in N. Georgia (United States) and my favorite by far of honey is Orange Blossom...But I have to be good and hide it from myself - I've been known to sneak a spoonful or two at times (lol)  whistle

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 15 Jun 11 12:28pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

ipibnradio ciao and welcome
My daughter living in London reported what you say about eating honey from local keepers, I'll investigate what my trustful beekeeper friend says about it.
Marasca is a cherry tree growing on the Carso mountain, only in specific weather and exposure conditions, maybe also in some Adriatic islands along the Jugoslavia coast.
If you eat a teaspoon you taste baked apples taste, and at the very end almond .... even lightly bitter ............... heaven

I've been known to sneak a spoonful or two at times (lol)  whistle

I have seen you
wink  lol

Likes (0)