forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 09 Jun 11 4:46pm

nicolafay

Member since Thu 09 Jun 11

Dinner Party Leg of lamb, sides? red wine jus?

Hi,

I'm planning on cooking for my friends (4 including myself) leg roasted but not sure on which potatoes and how to cook? Was thinking of flourly potatoes with shallots and tomotoes in the oven?
How do i make a nice red wine jus? not the thick gravy kind - not a fan! I like it thinner than that.
All ideas are welcome!
Thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 09 Jun 11 6:21pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: Dinner Party Leg of lamb, sides? red wine jus?

New potatoes are in season, so just roasting them in the lamb fat with some salt, pepper and rosemary would be great. As for the jus, just seperate the fat (you'll need it for the potatoes anyway) heat the drippings in the roasting tray, deglaze with wine and cook for a few minutes to get rid of most of the alcohol.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 09 Jun 11 6:56pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

2 onions chopped, 240ml dry red wine, 2 minced rosemary leaves, a little minced thyme, a little chopped chives, 240 ml beef broth, a little butter, salt and pepper, to taste.

SautÚ onions until tender. Add wine and herbs and simmer until the wine has boiled down to a syrup....upto you to judge the way you want it.

Add broth and continue to simmer until reduced to about 200 ml. Stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper. Serve sauce apart or pour over the lamb.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 10 Jun 11 1:14pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Since lamb is pretty strong and fatty, and the jus will be full of lamb flavour I disagree about cooking the potatoes in the lamb drippings.  I second the idea of red new potatoes though.  Simply boil until tender and then toss with salt/pepper, olive oil and freshly chopped dill.  It's very elegant and goes beautifully with the lamb.

For the jus, it all depends on how you roast your leg.  When I roast lamb I usually include some shallots, garlic, carrots, celery, lemons, and herbs (rosemary, thyme) in the roasting pan from the getgo.  After you remove the leg, place the roasting tray on the burner and use a potato masher to obliterate the roasted veggies in the tray, making a pulp.  Add a bit of wine and/or chicken stock to the tray and reduce until desired consistency.  Strain well and skim the fat off the jus.

Likes (0)