Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 13 Jun 11 3:11pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

Liver and bacon

On Saturday i want to make Liver and Bacon casserole and was wondering if it would be possible to prepare it in advance up to the point of putting it in the oven.  Then popping it in when were ready.

The recipe i have is by Delia Smith. I'm going to put the recipe up on here to give you and idea of what i'll be doing......

Serves 6.

1/14 lb (570 g) lambs’ liver, cut into ¼ inch (5 mm) thick slices
plain flour
1 oz (25 g) butter
1 tablespoon oil
2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
½ lb (225 g) new carrots, washed and cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) lengths
2 lb (900 g) new potatoes, scraped
1 lb (450 g) tomatoes, skinned and sliced
½ pint (275 ml) stock
½ level teaspoon dried oregano
1 level tablespoon tomato puree
Salt and freshly milled black pepper

Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C).160 fan

Begin by drying the liver slices with kitchen paper, then lightly coat the pieces in the seasoned flour. Next heat the butter and oil together in a frying pan and soften the sliced onion in it over a low heat for about 10 minutes.

Now arrange half the floured liver slices in the base of a deep ovenproof casserole and cover with a layer of onion, carrots and scraped new potatoes, followed by half the sliced tomatoes. Then repeat all over again, finishing up with a layer of tomatoes. Combine the stock, oregano and tomato puree together in a jug, season, pour this into the casserole, cover closely and bake for about 11/2 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.

I may not add the potatoes as I think some lovely creamy Mashed potatoes goes perfectly with liver and bacon casserole.

Plus i wont pour over the gravy toll its going in the oven.

There are only two of us and this serves 6, but as its a casserole its always nice, if not better, reheated the next day. So that's Sundays meal sorted aswell...  thumbsup  big_smile

Last edited by joobes (Mon 13 Jun 11 3:15pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 13 Jun 11 3:15pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Liver and bacon

That sounds heavenly, Joobes  dribble   However, I'd hesitate to prepare it in advance, as liver is notoriously rubbery if over-cooked, and I guess that would apply to reheating?

Just a quick question though - where's the bacon in the recipe?  Is it me being blind, or are you adding it as you go along?

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 13 Jun 11 3:24pm

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

Oooo yeah, there is no bacon is there, a moment of madness there i'm afraid  lol
I have lots of those  lol  lol

Yes this recipe is just liver casserole you are right, must admit i did'nt even think of that. So i think i Will do what you said and just add it as i go along, maybe fry it gently with the onion at the beginning. whistle

As for the liver it is only coated in the seasoned flour and put in the pot raw, so that shouldn't pose a problem.....I think/ hope

It sounds yum doesn't it, i love liver and bacon, so comforting, especially when its cold outside, and with the way our unpredictable weather has been lately probably not a bad idea...

Last edited by joobes (Mon 13 Jun 11 3:26pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 13 Jun 11 4:17pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

I love liver, too (especially with bacon!), but sadly I'm the only one in the family who'll touch it - so I sometimes have it with egg and bacon for breakfast, or with onion, bacon and gravy for supper when I'm on my own  lol

I think adding the bacon with the onion into your stew sounds perfect - making me feel hungry now .....!

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 13 Jun 11 4:28pm

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

Ahh thanks. I'll let you know how it went..

Yeah ive always loved Liver. Never a problem with me even when i was a kid.

Although i do find it strange that Delia doesn't deal the liver before adding it to the casserole. But then i think she knows what she is talking about so i will go with what she says, even though it does seem strange....  hmm

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 13 Jun 11 4:31pm

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

sorry that was meant to be seal the liver ..... not deal the liver  lol

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 13 Jun 11 4:58pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

joobes wrote:

sorry that was meant to be seal the liver ..... not deal the liver  lol

Sounded like an exciting new card game
lol   whistle

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 13 Jun 11 7:20pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

A place I used to work at served liver, bacon and onion pocket sandwhiches served with a sweet and sour sour cream sauce.  Besides the occasional customer who ordered one, I was the only person who liked them.  All the other cooks made a face when they had to make them. lol

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 14 Jun 11 5:47am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

Mum just rang to say she's done liver and bacon casserole for me to pick up on the way home from work  thumbsup   big_smile

If only I had some of your raspberries for after dinner Joobes  mrgreen  They are $9.99 for a 125g punnet here  shocked  so it's frozen for me.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 14 Jun 11 1:53pm

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

Luvmegrub wrote:

Mum just rang to say she's done liver and bacon casserole for me to pick up on the way home from work  thumbsup   big_smile

If only I had some of your raspberries for after dinner Joobes  mrgreen  They are $9.99 for a 125g punnet here  shocked  so it's frozen for me.

$9.99 for a 125g punnet..  shocked good grief.

I'm really looking forward to making my Raspberry and coconut cake, its heavenly....

Likes (0)