Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 16 Jul 11 3:21am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Tapioca Flour Vs Tapioca Starch

I'm delving into something I have never even eaten before let alone made..Brazilian cuisine.  The first thing I'm making is a cheese roll (Pao de Queijo) that calls for Tapioca flour.  All I can find is the starch.  Looked at a few things on line but not sure if they are one and the same.  Anyone know?

Likes (3)

#2 Sat 16 Jul 11 5:08am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Tapioca Flour Vs Tapioca Starch

I pretty sure it is the same thing, also could be called cassava starch or flour.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#3 Sat 16 Jul 11 5:13am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I believe it's the same thing. It's often used in gf cooking and I've only seen one product.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 16 Jul 11 5:38am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
From Northern California

Thanks!  Now I just have to wait for my friend in Brazil to sober up so he can tell me what kind of cheese I should use.   lol

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 16 Jul 11 6:43pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

It's like "cornflour" & "cornstarch" in English/American recipes.............I have often wondered if there's a difference?

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 16 Jul 11 7:11pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

It is manioc if you can find the right type.  Here's a good explanation of what type to buy:
http://leitesculinaria.com/32757/recipe … rolls.html

Tapioca starch is arrowroot.  Tapioca flour is manioc/cassava.

eddie:  I bet you can find it in San Francisco, but if not, let me know.  There's a Brazilian market just down the road from me and I'd be willing to ship you some, but it's going to be silly expensive that way.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 16 Jul 11 7:21pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 16 Jul 11 7:26pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Just a note, a friend of mine in Brazil showed me how to make pancakes with a very fine manioc flour.  All she did was spread the manioc on a hot skillet in a fine layer and it magically became a crepe.    Their family likes to eat those pancakes with butter and sugar or maple syrup.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 16 Jul 11 7:27pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 16 Jul 11 8:52pm

Steadam2011

Occupation Business
From Seattle
Member since Sat 16 Jul 11

Ah, it looks like you're baking for someone who is gluten free. If you're going to use alternative flour than wheat flour, you'll need to get more than just one kind of flour. Because all purpose flour is actually a blend of different flours, your cakes, cookies, and other baked goods won't rise properly without some kind of mix. If you're using tapioca flour, I've found that if you do a third tapioca, a third of corn starch, and a third of potato flour, you have a great mix to use for gluten free dishes.

Good luck!

Last edited by Steadam2011 (Fri 26 Aug 11 11:28am)

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 16 Jul 11 11:22pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
From Northern California

Not aiming for gluten-free cooking.  Trying my hand at Brazilian cuisine. 
Ms P.  it is cassava so I'm in luck.  Hopefully, my friend will get back to me with some help.  (I'm afraid he was on quite a bender last night. lol )

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 04 Oct 12 4:59pm

Bearsfan

Member since Thu 04 Oct 12

Concerning Tapioca starch and tapioca flour, in the United States, they are both the same.  The reason goes back 40 years and too long to post here.  If you ask anyone in Thailand for example they will tell you the difference between the flour and the starch is that the starch is the flour without the fiber and the flour is the starch with the fiber.  Tapioca starch is the purified starch portion from the cassava root.  Flour would traditionally encompass processing the whole root (and thus capturing the fiber).  There is a new product made with the fiber and to avoid confusion is called Premium Cassava Flour (designed for gluten free baking) and called so to avoid the current tapioca flour confusion.  BTW the traditional Pao de Queijo is made with sour tapioca starch, but can be made with regular tapioca starch with adjustments.

Likes (2)