Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 01 Aug 11 11:36am

jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

What's cooking on your barbecue?

Hi Guys,

Hey, guess what? Summer has arrived here in the UK which leads me to this week's question which is - what are you cooking on the barbecue?

To get you in the mood here is a selection of my BBQ videos:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/videos/cat/bbq/7

Nice one

Jamie O x

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 01 Aug 11 11:50am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Re: What's cooking on your barbecue?

Absolutely nothing.

Hubby refuses to use the barbeque and so it just sits there. He used to cook all sorts of things on the bbq in the previous house but it was way out in the yard where the smoke could get away easily and it was safer with the hose close by.

He once cooked the whole barbeque, burned it to the ground does that count?

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 01 Aug 11 1:01pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

well....... if it could stop raining !

I have been thinking about gettinh the BBQ lit again today , I have a little St Lucia coalpot  , I think it will be used again tomorrow maybe some halloumi kebabs for me and some meat beased kebabs for my darling, a  few roasted veg and in the tajine on the majma (little charcoal cooking pot ) I might do a few peppers that are stuffed with a couscous that has little bits of veg ,  sultanas , spices and almond flakes added.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 01 Aug 11 1:59pm

Tzitzi

Member since Mon 01 Aug 11

Hi!
Well, the weather hasn't been great throughout July and most of June. But we had a great (very summerly) spring and BBQ a lot in April and May. In the previous years we used to cook a lot of meat on the BBQ (what a surprise). But this year we have discovered our LOVE for all kinds of barbecued Veggies and sweet potatoes wrapped in aluminum foil and baked directly in the coals (yumm). But the best thing EVER is a spontaneous "invention" of mine when some of our vegetarian friends were visiting and I was trying to figure out how to prepare a suitable BBQ:
Good Feta cheese cut into reasonable squares (not too thin) each on a small piece of aluminum foil. Tried tomatoes and black olives shred and cut into pieces and spread over the cheese. Salt and Pepper (I use sea salt with Italian herbs in it). Mix some good Aceto Balsamico with the best olive oil you can get. Sprinkle it generously on the cheese. Top off with fresh basil leaves cut into stripes (the way Jamie taught me in one of his books.) and fold the foil into nice little packets. Cook on the BBQ until the cheese is soft. Served with baguette and salad this is delicious!

So what I'm saying is, this year meat was rather a second or third choice on the BBQ. There are sooo many unbelievable tastes one can enjoy from the BBQ beyond your typical sausage (I live in Germany) and rump steak.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 01 Aug 11 2:19pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Used the weber Saturday to make pizzas and not your typical grilled pizza either.
I put the pizza stone on, put the lid on and open the vents until it's hot as the nether regions and then slide the pizza on and let the magic happen.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 01 Aug 11 2:30pm

lynnej

Occupation Web Designer
From Netherlands
Member since Wed 02 Sep 09

The sun has finally come out here too so I guess it would be silly not to take advantage of it and throw some meat on the bbq this evening. As usual I canít decide what to make, which isnít really a problem as we enjoy eating small bits of different things, so Iíll just make a variety  which I can eventually keep and use again later in the coming days. I just took a look at the bbq recipes here for inspiration and came up with the following:
For starters the fantastic tomato and fennel salad with flaked barbecued fish, followed by rib eye in a Jack Daniels glaze, lamb cutlets marinated in mint and garlic, the best barbecued sticky chicken with lemon and garlic and blackened barbecued pork fillets, with as sides baked potatoes, tomato salad, cucumber salad, couscous salad and something leafy depending what I can find that looks good. I have lemon cheese cake for dessert but I doubt weíll get that far...

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 01 Aug 11 3:04pm

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

Birdymum wrote:

Absolutely nothing.

Hubby refuses to use the barbeque and so it just sits there. He used to cook all sorts of things on the bbq in the previous house but it was way out in the yard where the smoke could get away easily and it was safer with the hose close by.

He once cooked the whole barbeque, burned it to the ground does that count?

I laughed so hard at this that the boys came to see what was the fuss about.     big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 01 Aug 11 7:17pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Nothing - sadly our barbeque has rusted through with the damp weather, and given the long range forecast I can see no point in getting another one just yet.  Summer really hasn't happened in this corner of the UK!

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 01 Aug 11 11:56pm

BrianMc7

From United States
Member since Mon 01 Aug 11

Looks like our menu will be chicken breasts with an applewood rub, zucchini with a bit of olive oil, cracked black pepper and possibly a touch of garlic and some red potatoes with oil, onions and a taste of garlic wrapped up in foil. Nothing all that fancy, but it definitely tastes good!

Last edited by BrianMc7 (Tue 02 Aug 11 10:42pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 02 Aug 11 4:28am

jwkbstrouble

Member since Tue 02 Aug 11

I wish we could cook on the bar b que but we are under an extreme burn ban and can not even cook on the grill without paying a 500.00 fine.

Likes (0)