Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 02 Aug 11 1:55am

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

Re: Berries, Berries, Berries....

mummza wrote:

The wild blueberries that I used to pick from the very lowlying little bushes on the hills were very small Ms P , nothing like the larger tpe that I see in the shops.

We used to pick wild blueberries when we lived in Maine and the bushes were really low to the ground as well, Mummza.  Wild blueberries are soo much better than the cultivated kind.   yummy

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 02 Aug 11 2:04am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

The wild blueberries here are not the same as the variety you have in Wales mummza.  It is something to experience if you can, fresh or even frozen.  They don't lose their super-health giving properties after freezing or cooking.  They are special, like nothing else in this world.

We picked them on a remote island in N. Ontario one summer and used them in a crisp each night.  We had them in a B&B in homemade crepes in Quebec Province in Canada, beautiful.  There's nothing I've had anywhere in the world that compares, to be honest.

Most are sold frozen here as the season is very short.  Even frozen, they are to me, the most blueberry, maybe the best berry flavor in the world.

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 02 Aug 11 2:15am)

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 02 Aug 11 3:25am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I live in the land of wild blackberries and they are about a week from being ready at which time I'll tote my berry bucket down the road and start my jelly-making. (Jelly in the US is something you spread on bread like you would jam.  It differs in that it is just made from the juice of the fruit.)

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 02 Aug 11 3:51am

wildly organic

Occupation cooker,baker,gardener,captain,skier and bath bomb boss
From Dogville
Member since Fri 26 Sep 08

yummy! I am  a bit panicky at the moment as my "stash" of 10 gallons of wild blueberries is diminishing and I have not found out exactly where they are here.I know they are here,that has been confirmed, but need to go hunting! Tame ones are ready here for $1.75 a pound.The large round,easy picking is tempting but I feel the "guilt" already.Picked 13 pounds of strawberries....could use about another 50 pounds!

SonomaEddie: tell me about your jelly.... we have lots of wild blackberries here on the island.... they are not quite as ready as yours,another 3-4 weeks yummy

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 02 Aug 11 5:15am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

There really is only one berry  I don't have much use for,  Bakeapples(cloudberries) .

My favourite alltime is  tiny wild strawberries , but raspberries of any colour are a close second.

It is a great time right now though, blueberries, raspberries and currants  are all in season now. There are even some everbearing strawberries at the market still.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#16 Tue 02 Aug 11 7:57am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

I love berries and the background pic on the site is so cute Danny!  Wish I could afford fresh raspberries but they are $8.99 for a 125g punnet here.  I have to eat frozen.  We have gorgeous strawberries in the shops now too but also expensive, $3.99 a punnet.

I'm off to google "pick your own raspberries" and see if there's anywhere close to Sydney.

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 02 Aug 11 8:45am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

We pick lots of wild berries here.  Raspberries and blueberries are ready at the moment (last year my lovely FIL went and picked lots for me as I was to busy building the house).  We'll also be picking lingonberries and havtorn if we're lucky.  Most we will freeze to use throughout the year, some we'll make into juice, using a steamer, when we'll bottle and  freeze it, to use throughout the year either as juice of to make jellies and sauces.

It's funny though we get lots more berries growing wild here than we did back in the UK, I really miss blackberries.  So when our mess of a building site actually becomes a garden, that will be top of my list!

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 02 Aug 11 9:07am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

mummza wrote:

I know that once I got in trouble from my for staining my dress with the Mulberry juice from the fruits on the tree Grandmadamada so I guess you are right there, if I was not allowed to climb the tree ( unless of couse noone could see me !) then I must have eaten the fruits from the lower branches or from the ground as they fell from the tree ... so long ago I cant remember , all I remember is that it was a big house hat seemed dark inside and there was this magical tree that seemed to fill the garden to me . It was the only time as a child that I ever saw a Mulberry tree as they are not common in the UK.

they are common here they grew along the fields, the leaves were used to feed the silkworms ................ but this another story which brings me back in my nonna's house with soundtrack of silkworms weaving their thread roll

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 02 Aug 11 2:49pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Ashen wrote:

There really is only one berry  I don't have much use for,  Bakeapples(cloudberries) .

My favourite alltime is  tiny wild strawberries , but raspberries of any colour are a close second.

It is a great time right now though, blueberries, raspberries and currants  are all in season now. There are even some everbearing strawberries at the market still.

I like the desserts they make in Scandinavia with cloudberries, but I think that it influenced me tremendously to try them at The Grand in Oslo the first visit and we first met a very good friend who came looking for MrP and I as he was to be working with MrP.  I think of that night every time I hear the word cloudberries.

I'm with you on the tiny wild strawberries.  They are wonderful with a little sugar and lemon juice, of course, they're not bad on a fine pastry either.

I love the new background too.

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 02 Aug 11 2:50pm)

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 02 Aug 11 4:09pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

We used to have wild blackberry bushes all over our property when I was a kid.  We always had blackberry pies!!  It is hard to find blackberry bushes now!  To much land clearing I guess.  I have found a place that you can pick your own blackberries, about 20 minutes out of town.  Such a great find!

Likes (0)