Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Sat 06 Aug 11 8:14pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Berries, Berries, Berries....

Eaton mess for desert today made with strawberries that were chopped a bit and sugared s they made their own syrup.thumbsup

Last edited by mummza (Sat 06 Aug 11 8:15pm)

Likes (0)

#32 Sat 06 Aug 11 10:12pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

the street border along my campo is upholstered with blackberries which ask to be cropped roll

Likes (0)

#33 Sun 07 Aug 11 11:30am

ovineyards

Occupation winemaker
From Carcassonne, France
Member since Mon 25 Apr 11

Blackberries are finally in season and my mom has plans for this tomato and blackberry confit.  It sound a little crazy and a lot of delicious.  I'll let you know how it turns out and what wine we slurp with it wink

Likes (0)

#34 Sun 07 Aug 11 8:03pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

MsPablo wrote:

I almost forgot about the Sea Buckthorn berry.  MrP and I bought the pure juice in Helsinki first at the Herring Festival and later from Stockmann's Dept. Store which has two grocery store levels.  It's also made into candies, is very sour and loaded with vitamin C.

That's what's we know as havtorn, apparently only 3 berries will give you your daily dose of vitamin C.  When they've been plentilful my MIL will eat a couple each day, instead of taking a suppliment.  I've also used the juice to make havtorn curd (like lemon curd) which is delicious.  I did try using it in pannacotta, but it turned out quite grainy, almost like it was trying to curdle the mix, probably because it is so acidic.  You can buy it in the stores, but it's quite expensive, so when we plant the garden I'm going to give it a go, though they're supposed to be a bit fussy! hmm

Likes (0)

#35 Sun 07 Aug 11 9:06pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Yes, and it's sold as 'tyrni-mehuu'.  I don't remember how that translates.

Likes (0)

#36 Sun 07 Aug 11 9:14pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

you know how I picked my red currants this mornī? I shaked the branches of the bush and they just fell. they were so over-ripe

Likes (0)

#37 Sun 07 Aug 11 10:29pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

RedfoxEstonia wrote:

you know how I picked my red currants this mornī? I shaked the branches of the bush and they just fell. they were so over-ripe

Yum  big_smile

Likes (0)

#38 Tue 09 Aug 11 4:46pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Fresh berries are wonderful.....................but I love the way that there's so many other interesting things to do with them..................& that by preserving them, I can enjoy them long after the sunshine they grew in has become a distant memory.

Likes (0)