forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 06 Sep 11 2:41pm

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

Re: Acceptable "Passive Racism" or "Humour"?

I would say take the joke and go on and watch something better.
@falconcy
You could just let him eat Ikea food hahaha. wink
You know im thinking about this ,i think it has notting to do with food but with not accepting it from the person.What if a good Chef would have said it as a joke?.
whistle

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 06 Sep 11 2:52pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I don't believe a GOOD chef takes the p*ss out of another chef's/nation's food..........I think they would embrace that which is good & ignore that which is not.

Every place I go I try to pick up not what they think the tourist wants to eat, but the best that the "natives" of that place eat. I have eaten some truly fabulous food (& endured some that wasn't) & have been made welcome wherever I have gone (often invited into professional kitchens because I have expressed an interest in what chef is creating).

Most of you know I am a natural p*ss-taker, so am not in any danger of taking to heart what an idiot has to say...........I was just interested to know what you guys made of it.

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 06 Sep 11 4:40pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

minerva wrote:

Bet he had the sauce in his hand luggage.
Would have been fine in the hold in his suitcase.

That look is part of the qualifications for being employed by "Customs" in any country!

No, it was in the bag he was going to check, not the carry on. They also made him get rid of his aftershave, shampoo etc. Must be a British Airlines thing since I wen't to Poland this year and had no problem transporting 7 bottles of vodka in my luggage (except for getting the **** thing closed). And I suppose that if I wanted to blow the plane up, 7 bottles of vodka would do the job much better than 5 bottles of HP.

minerva wrote:

Ps that look couldn't possibly have been directed towards the sauce unless the officer had been a foreigner........HP is a religion in its own right!

I don't think it was directed towards the sauce, rather to the idea that a foreigner would be head-over-heels in love with it. It's not like worchester sauce which is known and enjoyed around the globe. Who knows, maybe they had just confiscated a bunch of sausages and tins of baked beans and decided that 5 bottles of brown sauce would make the meal complete. roll

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 06 Sep 11 4:48pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

The rules vary.  We had to take liquids out of the checked luggage in Asia, can't remember which airlines, probably a Japanese one.  The concern is that if the jar breaks or opens during transit, it could ruin other people's possessions, not just your own.

I once saw a whole flight of luggage on the belt in Paris coated with smashed rambutan fruits.

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 06 Sep 11 5:38pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Ah but HP have got round that knotty problem............Flexi-plastic bottles!

There probably was a Customs fry-up going on somewhere!

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 07 Sep 11 12:25am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

erm, was he slaging off English food? If he was, then he is not that knowlegable. We have a small country, but a huge amount of michelin stars. Our produce is sort after worldwide, thats why top french chefs like  Alain Ducasse set  up in the UK. We invented Creme Anglaise, the base for many deserts. I am British, so is Gordon Ramsay (the best chef in the world). We are not called "Great Britain" for nothing. Jamie Oliver is British, I need say no more.
That said I really like Eat Street. There has been some tasty stuff on the last two episodes I watched. I did not really notice the presenter.

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 09 Sep 11 5:15pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

There was some amazing Mexican food being served. Also crab and lobster sandwiches, from another stall. I was quiet pleased to find the programme on Travel Chanel which the T.V. I watch picks up.
As for the original topic: piss taking chefs are similar to comedians, a joke is a joke.
Listen to Gordon Ramsay; he has said some brilliantly funny stuff, that some have taken the wrong way. Jamie to for that matter, his famous apology to the lady from the north of England, was as a result of an off the cuff remark.
Jesus, I am for ever saying, the wrong things. I mean no harm. I am sure the presenter is doing similar.

Likes (0)