Likes (0)

#2 Wed 26 Oct 11 4:08am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Tomatoes, an interesting history

That was too long, Ms Pabs.  Do we have to know ALL of it?  I do grow some heirlooms and think they taste superior to supermarket brands.  In fact, I picked  a couple of Brandywines to slice for my burger tonight.  They will be the best part of the sandwich, I'm sure.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 26 Oct 11 5:11am

dmfootycoach

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Mon 11 Jan 10

Interesting to say the least. Missing some interesting points though. The tomato was used mainly as an ornamental plant in Northern Europe until the Napoleonic era because it was considered poisonous or posed mental issues I do remember reading about a Britsh officer creating a spectacle eating a tomato roughly around 1812, to convince townsfolk that they were otherwise.
This closes the gap on the rise in its popularity in the mid 1800's
I'm with Eddie tho a good heirloom is no where near as mushy and comes across as richer than the stuff I buy at the local grocer come winter time.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 26 Oct 11 9:00am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I have saved all the plants growing from compost in my orto's paths and without knowing what kind they were I transplanted them to my campo, I did not give them any support, just a little watering at the beginning, just a stick to remembeer where they where, they have spread around producing little cherries, larger ones, i noticed they were the healthiest plants compared to the bought ones, they mixed and shared sun and shade with melons, I'm not sure this is a good consociazione but it worked for me this summer smile

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Wed 26 Oct 11 9:01am)

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 26 Oct 11 2:57pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

It's interesting that the various types don't inter-breed.  I had both heirlooms and  hybrids in my garden.  The heirlooms taste better and have a better texture, but the hybrids are generally more productive and disease-resistant.  My favorite type of tomatoes to buy are heirlooms or small grape tomatoes.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 26 Oct 11 6:51pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Love the little grape tomatoes.  Great to snack on while watering and weeding!
Mada, some people were talking the other day about growing tomatoes without watering.  It's getting popular and is known as dry gardening.  They say the tomatoes don't get as big as watered ones but have a much more intense flavor.  I may experiment with that this next year.

Last edited by SonomaEddie (Wed 26 Oct 11 7:17pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 26 Oct 11 10:21pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Yes I have experienced this in my orto aswell, where I could water them day and night, but if you do not after they have started growing after transplanting, they develop very deep roots and I found also they are stronger agaisnt deseases ..... when August comes I cannot stand it anymore and finally I water them as if they would not survive, who knows???

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 06 Nov 11 6:15pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

We planted tomatoes outside and inside the ones outside have grown slowly with not much taste  ( we did not give them any tomato feed ) the varities in the polytunnel which where feed and watered where much tastier and the skins where much thinner we used gardeners delight, cherries, golden sun and another different cherry.

I would like to try some old varities next year but will only grow indoor and now we have got a green house I am sure the crop will be much better.

But it is a most marvelous fruit so adaptable in both hot and cold dishes  I rate

10/10

cookinlovebird  thumbsup  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 22 Dec 11 5:59pm

Ms Kira

Occupation freelancer
From Greenville, SC
Member since Mon 07 Jul 08

I have an heirloom. It's a relative of the potato and eggplant, strangely enough. It seems to be doing fine inside for the winter. I hope to get more next year. Can't really do much with a few tomatoes every other week or so. : )

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 22 Dec 11 6:11pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

wave Ms Kira!  Nice to have you back.  You might try rooting some of the sucker branches.  I heard that will produce a more productive new plant, not sure if it works, never tried it myself.

Likes (0)