forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 26 Oct 11 3:04pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Outdoor herbs in the winter

I have a beautiful rosemary plant that's doing well outside and a very pathetic anemic mint that I'm having trouble with.  Now that it's getting cold outside can I bring these plants indoors and if yes/no, how do I care for them?

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 26 Oct 11 3:13pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Outdoor herbs in the winter

I had success with rosemary indoors, except last fall because powdery mildew took hold of it.  It needs bright light.  I fertilize my herbs ever so lightly.  They are planted in sterile potting mix.

Minerva suggested putting a tray of wet gravel under potted mint because it prefers more moisture than most indoor plants.  Mine was never productive indoors, but we have forced air heat and the air just becomes too dry for some plants to do well.

Last edited by MsPablo (Wed 26 Oct 11 3:13pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 26 Oct 11 5:56pm

luckiest1

Member since Fri 19 Jun 09

I have a large pot of mixed herbs that I purchased from a garden centre early in the summer.  Since we are starting to get frosts at night here, I brought it in the other day and put it in the sunniest spot in the kitchen I can find.  So far so good, the main thing I would like to keep alive is the rosemary.  I hate paying for fresh herbs at the market in the winter!

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 26 Oct 11 11:00pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

The wet gravel goes into the bottom of the pot or underneath it?

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 26 Oct 11 11:18pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

In a tray under the pot, usually wider than your pot.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 27 Oct 11 10:55am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I have tried numerous times but I just keep killing any  rosemary  I try to overwinter inside.  I have given up and now just  grown extra through the summer , cut the whole plants around this time of year wrap in cheesecloth and hang upside down inside to dry.  Not quite as good as fresh , but so much tastier than bought dried rosemary.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#7 Thu 27 Oct 11 12:15pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Maybe the variety of Rosemary that we have here in the UK is more hardy . My Rosemary is planted in the ground and usually goes through the winter ok .
Last year I did loose one of the plants but we had a lot of snow on the ground for a long time .

The mint also survived the harsh winter as did the sage that was in a wooden planter but the sage that was in the ground died ( which did not  make sense to me !!!

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 27 Oct 11 1:53pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Rosemary isn't reliably hardy in my latitude mummza and koukouvagia is farther north.  Our winter low temperatures are much colder than yours mummza.

Some types of sage and mint are hardy in these zones.  Some types of sage are rather tender, usually the culinary types are mostly pretty hardy here.

I wonder if your sage died from wet feet in the winter or 'heaving'.  It's one of the main issues in our area which happens to be very prone to the soil becoming frozen and thawing repeatedly.  The solution is to have friable, well-draining soil that is high in organic matter and preferably the planting bed is a little mounded.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 27 Oct 11 2:26pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I just checked..     mummza would be a zone 8   whereas  I live on the edge of zone 5/6 .

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#10 Thu 27 Oct 11 2:28pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

We are Zone 6b.

Ashen, I'm curious, where'd you find a zone map that includes G. Britain?

Zone 8, that's a big difference!

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 27 Oct 11 2:30pm)

Likes (0)