Jamie Oliver

forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 15 Dec 11 12:22am

aaronjunited

From N.Ireland, Belfast
Member since Tue 27 Jan 09

Good frying pan

I would like some suggestions for a decent frying pan, I use the pan for a lot of my cooking. I fry all meat, bacon, eggs, onions, mushroom, make sauces after cooking meat and generally use the pan for everything i decide to fry.

I would like an oven safe pan, and would like it to be under 50 if possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 15 Dec 11 7:20am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Re: Good frying pan

We have a number of different pans for different purposes. A small and large pair of plain old frying pans. A heavy bottomed non-stick (Pyrex) a heavy bottomed pan with a dimpled finish and a cast iron pan. We also have a Griddle Pan (again Pyrex)

On the non stick side, I tend to buy a reasonable quality product - much depends on what is available when I am buying. I've found that most will wear out over time regardless of how well you treat them.

Our current non-stick is about ready for replacement, my thoughts are to buy a pan capable of being put into the oven, so the handles need to work for that. We tend to use the regular non-stick pans the most, though we use a stove top convection oven for cooking meats and rarely fry meat.

We also have a number of woks we use for certain types of frying.

I like the look of the pan in this set:

http://www.tefal.co.uk/NR/exeres/1C5253 … 79A995.htm

or this:

http://www.tefal.co.uk/All+Products/Coo … odised.htm

Availability and pricing will determine whether or not we actually buy either. We tend to buy from outside of Cyprus as things can be way cheaper elsewhere, even with the shipping. Prices do vary between the different Amazon sites, we've used UK, Germany and Spain. Amazon.es can be better pricing and have the best delivery times, though the product ranges are limited. Germany has the worst delivery times to us with the UK somewhere in the middle.

What is really stupid though is that most of the stuff from Amazon gets shipped from Germany anyway, regardless of where we order from - the only difference is how/when it gets delivered.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 15 Dec 11 10:15am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

The best nonstick frying pan that I have had in a long time has been a WMF one . I have now had this pan for a number of years and it has successfully put up with the abuse that my husband puts it through !!!
My darling thinks that the only way to fry things is over a mega heat and never thinks to adjust the temperature !
I have to say that this pan was expensive but I would buy another one again someday .

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 15 Dec 11 10:29am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

I would get a couple, a small tefal non stick for your eggs/ommelettes/pancakes and a heavy duty stainless steel (Not non stick) say 28cm diameter, for hob/oven use, and the meat cuts.

Last edited by wine~o (Thu 15 Dec 11 10:29am)

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 15 Dec 11 11:45am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

I've owned teflon coated pans that cover a large number of brands that range in price from expensive to dirt cheap. They all seem to last the about same amount of time before a replacement is needed. Of course, I do have the same problem as Mummza... my wife doesn't seem to grasp the concept of controlling the heat. Medium, medium MEDIUM!!!!!

Last edited by Pakman (Thu 15 Dec 11 11:46am)

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 15 Dec 11 11:55am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I am a function over form kinda guy, so my recommendation is well seasoned  good cast iron and black steel pans.   These aren't pretty, like shiny stainless but they work well,  take a beating and are cheap to replace.  I prefer cast iron, but black steel gives you a more responsive pan for when you need to change temps fast.     If you absolutely just have to have a non-stick, get one with the new ceramic non-stick coatings.

Last edited by Ashen (Thu 15 Dec 11 11:56am)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#7 Thu 15 Dec 11 3:02pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Le Crueset enameled cast iron - one of my favorite skillets - easy to clean, heats evenly and holds heat well.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 16 Dec 11 2:42pm

aaronjunited

From N.Ireland, Belfast
Member since Tue 27 Jan 09

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Much appreciated. That's my problem at the minute, the tefal pan i bought in tesco, 18 or something, has gone to the dumps, maybe because i use it for everything and anything.

Another question -  Is Stainless steel good for cooking meats? Is it not a sticky base, burn food easily and what not?

Thanks again for the reply's.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 16 Dec 11 2:54pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I have a stainless steel that I use all the time.  But also like good Calphalon pans.  Have a few of them.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 16 Dec 11 3:07pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

I have two Tefal Ingenio, they are 18 months old and still look brand new, i love them.

http://www.bhv.fr/boutique/produits/cui … 80333.html

Likes (0)