Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Tue 03 Jan 12 2:14pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Why does Jamie include MILK in the Food Revolution?

Speaking as someone who is currently nursing my child in the US, and plan on nursing for a long a time, this is an issue of great concern to me.  I fear the day that I will wean and be forced, harassed and bullied to put my child onto cow's milk.  I do not trust that the AFDA does an adequate job in ensuring the people's health, I am afraid that dairy lobbyists are looking out for the financial benefits to their industry instead.

I can't bare the thought of cows in a perpetual state of postpartum, their young ripped away from them and denied their mother's milk just so that the human consumer can ingest gallons of it per week.  Speaking as someone who's grown up with jugs of milk in the refrigerator just like everyone else does not prohibit me from see something very wrong with this picture.  It's just another case of human exploiting animals for an oversupply of something that our bodies don't need in massive quantities.

I've never drank milk as a beverage, I do put it in my coffee and I do cook with it.  The best I can do is buy organic milk for the time being.

Likes (0)

#22 Wed 04 Jan 12 7:13am

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

I have heard that the lobby groups are very powerful in the US so I can understand why you would not trust the AFDA. If I was living in the US I really think I would feel that way too and about some other parts of the food industry too. I would buy organic too, although you could look at other alternatives to dairy milk.

Likes (0)

#23 Wed 04 Jan 12 7:33am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I still remember drinking a long drink glass of milk coming from the stable of the agriturismo where i worked fo a summer, offered by a kind boy telling me he still remembered how it tasted when he coul not reach the table ............... what a wonderful cocktail big_smile

Likes (0)

#24 Wed 04 Jan 12 1:07pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

We have the problem here of the larger supermarkets trying to circumvent our laws regarding milk..............it is classed as a "basic food" here which means the government cap the price (also bread) so that the poor can afford to buy it.
This means that since there is a ceiling at which a retailer can sell it.........to make max. profit they have to push the price down at which they can buy it.
This has seen British dairy farmers struggle to exist, & in many cases their herds have gone altogether as unaffordable to farm.

On the other side of things, our milk is some of the best in the world & animal-husbandry in Britain leads the world........
........result?
........there is a shortfall in the amount of home-produced milk, caused by market forces.
........answer?
.......the supermarkets try to buy Eastern European milk which is cheaper, & doesn't meet up with our stringent requirements (both ethically or quality).

The law keeps it out...................for now!

Likes (0)

#25 Wed 04 Jan 12 2:13pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

As far as I know there is a shortfall in the amount of milk that we produce as the price that the farmer gets  is very small and not always enough to cover the feed .

I beleive that there are still milk quotas in force, which set the level of the amount of milk that a farmer can produce in a year .
I do know that soe farmers are becoming artisan cheese makers as a way of using the milk , This is a direct result of the quotas and milk having to bee tpped down the drains to prevent the farmer going over the quota.

I also know that farmers leave cows dry some of the time to rest them.

It is a rediculous situation where farmers are restricted as to the quantity of milk that is produced and we then have to import milk from other countries.

Milk that we commonly buy here is pasturised .
http://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/Ra … ce/1031942
there are retrictions for the sale of raw milk in the uk
http://www.naturalfoodfinder.co.uk/raw-milk-legal

As a child I sometimes drank full cream raw milk from the farm , the top of the milk as laden with cream , we used to wander up to the farm , through the feild of cows and into the farmhouse where we would be sold the milk. Sometimes we helped to strain , scim and bottle the milk . We were children and this was exciting.
we also tried milking the cows occasionally.
The milk tasted great .

But nowadays I am a bit more carefull as I know about all the organisms that are pottentially harmful and are in the milk and so I buy the milk pasturised .
I avoid raw milk products.

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 04 Jan 12 2:25pm

minerva

Forum champ

The milk-quota/milk import policies are totally beyond sense.
Rules made by people with "bean-counting" backgrounds that have little or no connection with the land or what it represents.
Heavens protect the nation from Civil Servants.
I personally think the whole lot of 'em should be force-fed the crap they try to force us to consume 'til they explode!

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 04 Jan 12 3:27pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

jutta73 wrote:

Ms P I have heard the strawberries are also farmed with lots of pesticides. I can also get unhomogenised milk from my greengrocers and it is very good. I have read a bit about raw milk but it is illegal in Australia. Milk here must be treated to a certain temperature before it can be sold for food safety reasons. Although I have lived on a farm and had raw milk regularly without any bad effects but then I guess we were getting the milk super fresh. It's not that easy to get milk in glass bottles but I also think it tastes better. I can also get organic cream in glass bottles and it is fab but I rarely buy it as it is so expensive.

Yes, that's true about strawberry production.  I can buy top quality organic cream in a glass refundable bottle for not much more than the cost of the stuff in the waxed cartons.  I miss the milk delivery system.  That was a practical luxury.

Likes (0)

#28 Wed 04 Jan 12 4:47pm

minerva

Forum champ

Milkmen in little electric-powered "floats" clinking early in the morning, such a comforting sort of sound. It's no wonder kids are the way they are.............where are the nicer predictable certainties we grew up with?

There's a saying them at the top should listen to:
"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater"............. ie don't get rid of what's worth keeping when doing away with what you think is useless.

Likes (0)

#29 Wed 04 Jan 12 4:58pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

minerva wrote:

There's a saying them at the top should listen to:
"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater"............. ie don't get rid of what's worth keeping when doing away with what you think is useless.

Amen sistah!

Likes (0)

#30 Wed 04 Jan 12 6:25pm

DurocDiva

Member since Wed 04 Jan 12

I drink raw milk from grass Jersey X Montebeliard cows and to the tune of almost a full American gallon a day including cream.  Don't tell me that Cow's Milk is evil.  It's not, have you seen the crap they spray on soybean fields that makes Soy Milk? I wouldn't drink a non dairy milk if you paid me.  I also have a degree in Livestock and Meat Science and I know that those cows aren't treated that bad.

Likes (0)