forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Wed 04 Jan 12 7:57pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: Why does Jamie include MILK in the Food Revolution?

DurocDiva wrote:

I drink raw milk from grass Jersey X Montebeliard cows and to the tune of almost a full American gallon a day including cream.  Don't tell me that Cow's Milk is evil.  It's not, have you seen the crap they spray on soybean fields that makes Soy Milk? I wouldn't drink a non dairy milk if you paid me.  I also have a degree in Livestock and Meat Science and I know that those cows aren't treated that bad.

If you are drinking a gallon of full-fat milk a day...........heaven help your arteries (not to mention your waistline!).

..............that aside, if you had read the previous posts you would understand what this debate is about...............it isn't about ALL milk being bad for you.............it's about educated choices depending where in the world you live.

Milk with added sugar, colours & flavourings isn't good for us (particularly the children it is often given to).
Milk that comes from cows that are "interfered" with by man, has inherent problems connected with those processes, & is of concern to many consumers.
Milk in its "raw" state is in many countries considered to have more than a few health risks connected with it & isn't allowed to be sold on the retail market.

Some of us on here are lactose-free either through choice, or more often due to health problems. They have found solutions as home-cooks & regularly share their findings with the rest of us. Respect should be given.
The rest of us make our choices, hopefully based on research rather than prejudice or knee-jerk reaction.   

You aren't the only "educated" person on these boards, nor are you the only one with a science background, please be polite.

Likes (0)

#32 Wed 04 Jan 12 7:59pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I am not saying that milk is evil but these organisms can sometimes be found in raw milk....

salmonella
corynebacterium ulcerals
tuberculosis
ecoli
cryptosporidia
brucella
campylobacter

Milk as you see is a fine medium for the growth of bacteria .

Pasturiastion  sustantialy reduces the amount of bacteria.

So that is why I do not drink raw milk and I avoid raw milk roducts.

Likes (0)

#33 Thu 05 Jan 12 8:44pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

DurocDiva wrote:

I drink raw milk from grass Jersey X Montebeliard cows and to the tune of almost a full American gallon a day including cream.  Don't tell me that Cow's Milk is evil.  It's not, have you seen the crap they spray on soybean fields that makes Soy Milk? I wouldn't drink a non dairy milk if you paid me.  I also have a degree in Livestock and Meat Science and I know that those cows aren't treated that bad.

Haha that's crazy, a full gallon of raw milk?  What for?  Thirst?

Likes (0)

#34 Fri 06 Jan 12 12:21am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I loved when I was living near Mt BawBaw years ago and we had a beautiful Jersey cow called Amber. When she had her calf she made enough milk to feed it and give us extra.
And we kept milking her. We must have got a couple of litres a day at least, and how delicious it was! I especially remember the beautiful yoghurt we made setting it by the slow combustion stove. The natural culture was enough to make it curd.

Shirley did the milking and was very conscientious about cleanliness, we never had a problem with dangerous bacteria. Even though it is a rich milk, it was still part of a beautifully healthy diet!

At other times I have had access to fresh goats milk and it was wonderful too.

I miss it.

Likes (0)

#35 Fri 06 Jan 12 12:24am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

koukouvagia wrote:

DurocDiva wrote:

I drink 2 1/2 gallons a week. Because I like it.

Likes (0)

#36 Fri 06 Jan 12 4:13am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

The White Rabbit wrote:

kiwi kris...it must be nice to have warm from the cow milk on your cereal....i had that once

Hi TWR, I hope all is well with you, hubby & baby?! smile
The doggies on the farm here, Rocky & Cody, are the only ones drinking lovely warm milk at the cowshed - our milk on our cereal is usually cold!!!!

I will have to find more info on Jamie's Revolution regarding MILK??...

(Hi!)Minerva, wrote further back about "sugar/flavours" being added to milk - which I can see would be a real concern with children consuming more calories/kilojules...

Tho! I would think adding some milo or bournvita to a glass-of-milk would be okay, as, the above contain vitamins/nutrients (even though it's chocolate) too - especially if it helped a child/teen to consume their "daily intake of milk" instead of none or very little?!

(Also, Minnie, that's terrible & unfortunate, that some British dairy farmers have had to cease milking due to little/no profits.)

As a teen, we lived across the road from a family whose children disliked eating their peas & their parents would get them to "wash the peas down with a glass of milk"!

Before I go...Welcome to Jamie's Forum; Duroc Diva! smile ...also, our cows welfare is paramount to us as dairy farmers too & they are fed on open grass paddocks!  thumbsup

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Fri 06 Jan 12 8:45am)

Likes (0)

#37 Fri 06 Jan 12 3:11pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

cohphanta wrote:

koukouvagia wrote:

DurocDiva wrote:

I drink 2 1/2 gallons a week. Because I like it.

Wow that's a lot too.  But a whole gallon a day is worse.  It's very rich.  But then again there are people who drink a whole gallon of soda per day so there's not much difference there.

Growing up on my grandparent's farm in Greece I have fond memories of waking up at the crack of dawn to milk our goat.  Then my grandmother would boil the milk and serve everyone a warm jug of it with bits of stale durham wheat bread in it.  The rest she would use to make butter.  Hmmmm, goat butter!

Likes (0)

#38 Sun 22 Apr 12 3:21pm

Ms Kira

Occupation freelancer
From Greenville, SC
Member since Mon 07 Jul 08

Well all I'm saying is that Jamie has a fabulous opportunity to really educate people about the non-necessity of having your children drink milk at school.

I'm not saying that if you drink a glass of milk, your brain will turn to mush and leak out of your ass. I'm saying that you could go the rest of your life with ZERO milk and be just fine. It's NOT necessary. It's for baby cows. It's not for babies of another species and not for adults of any species.

It IS full of chemicals, hormones, blood and pus, and has actually been said to be a CAUSE of osteoporosis. The ONLY reason we are told to drink milk is because the dairy association wants to make money. That's it.

Milk has vitamins in it, sure.  That's because they ADD vitamins to it. If you put vitamins in a jug of cat piss, you'd still have a beverage with vitamins in it. If you really, truly wanted to get calcium and nutrition for yourself or your family, you'd get goat milk. It is far more nutritious and is easier to digest.

Milk is one of the most processed foods in America and it's being given to kids at school on a daily basis. Jamie could really help those kids by spreading the word and letting them know it's not really good for them to have this. That was all I wanted to say, though it's probably seriously doubtful he would want to tackle such a task.

Likes (0)

#39 Sun 22 Apr 12 4:46pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Ms Kira sorry I would prefer t have a drink of cows milk anyday , I really dislike goats milk .

Likes (0)

#40 Sun 22 Apr 12 5:12pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

mummza wrote:

Ms Kira sorry I would prefer t have a drink of cows milk anyday , I really dislike goats milk .

Ewe's milk would be a good compromise, although I really enjoy the funk of goat milk. But the problem isn't the animal itself, it's the side effects of mass production. Anyone ever see goat milk flavoured with the sugar and artificial crap they put in cow milk? That's because the market is smaller and the consumers more discirning.  The problem begins when the animal is pumped full of hormones, antibiotics and other chemicals, and when it spends it's life in an environment that's more industrial than agricultural.

Likes (0)