Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 24 Jan 12 5:05pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Advice needed

koukouvagia , you are compleetly misunderstanding what I am saying .

I was trying to asertain what the child might be buying at the same time as the pizza , the slices of pizza that you buy here in the UK are not anywhere near as large or heavily topped as those that we have bought when in America.
I was asking if they were buying crisps/ potato chips at the same time as they were buying the pizza .. thats all ...I was just trying to work out why the children were overweight .
There are usually several contibuting factors to a young person being overweight.

As for me mentioning that 'I hate to say this but the more you ban things from young people the more that they want to do it !!' I wrote this in response to what had already been written by Greggj and this was........
"I have a bit of a dilema in so far as I have banned my kids from eating them but I am not there to stop them. "
so yes... she had banned them
and from my experience , from when I was a child myself, from seeing how my friends and other children have behaved and from very sucessfully raising 4 children myself I know that the more that you say a young person can't do something ,the more they want to do it.

The last sentence that you picked out from my post that you heavily disagreed with was ..
'If this is an outside concern and not connected with the school then , they are quite entitled to sell to whom ever goes into the shop.'

please note I said ... ' IF 'this is an outside concern .

I am totally right and you have again taken this out of context , you needed to read fully the whole post...

I was saying that if the vendor was outside of the school grounds then and that the pupils are allowed out to go into that shop then the shop is entitled to sell to them.
If they have been allowed out of the school gates then this is generally on the permission of a parent ... forms have to be signed to give permission for this to happen.
Its like a young person going out and into any high street or local shop .
I NEVER said that I agreed with these shop keepers making money from these young people by selling them slices of Pizza, pannini or whatever .

I also trying to assertain wether the vendor was there in school grounds and therefore out of the schools juristriction or within the schools grounds and therfore within the school juristriction.
If its within the school grounds it puts a compleetly different perspective on the action that Greggj ight need to take.

I have had 4 children go through the British Education system , the last child only left high school  2 and a half years ago and so I am very aware of what goes on and how things work. I also work in a school.
I was in no way condoning the selling of these snacks and in my post I was trying to give some help but in order to do this I needed to find out some facts .

Vending machines in schools here also have been changed , I understand they sell water and fruit ( no juice ) . This happened quite some years ago but this also varies as to the education authority that the school belongs to.

I am sorry that you feel that you "vehemently contest " some of the points that I was trying to asertain.

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 25 Jan 12 3:12pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

mummza wrote:

...I was just trying to work out why the children were overweight .
There are usually several contibuting factors to a young person being overweight.

"I have banned my kids from eating them but I am not there to stop them. "
... I know that the more that you say a young person can't do something ,the more they want to do it.

I am totally right and you have again taken this out of context , you needed to read fully the whole post...

I am sorry that you feel that you "vehemently contest " some of the points that I was trying to asertain.

This is a topic I feel strongly about, in no way am I trying to attack you in a personal manner.  I am only speaking passionately about something that I feel is important so please, forgive me if it appears I am singling you out.  There are no hard feelings, let's just discuss the issue.

I assume that if this parent has enough insight to be concerned about food that is being offered to her child that she has enough insight to look at all aspects of her child's nutrition.  She has asked us for advice on this particular issue and perhaps it's unfair to make her feel as if it is her fault when she clearly wants to ensure her child's nutrition and well being.  Who knows though, maybe she plays a role in their poor nutrition but judging from the OP it seems like she's battling outside factors.

As far as banning, this concept applies to all of us.  We all rebel against being told what to do, we all want what we can't have and let's face it - bad food can taste oh so good!  I don't think she has done anything wrong by asking her kids not to eat junk food.  What do you suggest?  That she doesn't deal with the issue at all?

Let's face it, people are out to make money and they will target customers who will buy their products.  But even if these school vendors are parked outside of school grounds they are still close enough to cause concern.  Schools should ensure the safety and well being of students and if that means taking measures to ban junk food vendors from close proximity to the school then I think it's a worthy pursuit.

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 25 Jan 12 7:32pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

The pertinent issues on this thread seem to be :

What the policy regarding on-site, non-lunch food is at the OP's local school...........

Q: Are the school policies matching those laid down by the Education Dept.

If the answer is "No"............A: Lobby County Hall to deal with the issues at the school.
If the answer is "Yes"...........A: Lobby the School Governers to change the way school interprets County policy for the better, & lobby Parent/Teacher Association (PTA) for support.

Anything else we discuss here is not connected to the OP's original request for advice, & is purely personal.

Sorry, just needed to clarify for my own peace of mind. Thank-you  lol

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 27 Jan 12 1:41pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I appologise for the rant koukouvagia , as you know its not often I get so worked up but I really felt you had misunderstood all I had written.

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 27 Jan 12 2:04pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

mummza wrote:

I appologise for the rant koukouvagia , as you know its not often I get so worked up but I really felt you had misunderstood all I had written.

No offense taken, or meant to be given on my part.  But I do think we may have scared off the OP.  Did not mean to call him a she, I didn't read his screen name properly and thought it was a mother rather than a father.  Anyway, the OP has a valid concern about outside vendors selling food in or near his children's school.  Even the healthiest child falls danger to making the wrong choices so why have the option when it's not really necessary?

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 27 Jan 12 4:12pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I do not think that Greggj was 'scared off' , I think that Greggj was able to find out roughly what they needed to know and decide on a course of action.

I did think of one thing that I had forgotten... Dinner sittings are a differing times and sometimes the upils ' buy a lunch early' so that they have tome to get through the system , eat lunch and get back to class.
This could account for the early sale of the pizza slices.
I am well aware that pizza is not the best thing to ge sold from a vendor on the school grounds and I know that it should not be happening but we only know limited information and from what I read Greggj now has an idea who to complain to.

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 31 Jan 12 5:46pm

Greggj

Member since Mon 23 Jan 12

No, not scared off, just awaiting response. This has arrived just now and it's not quite the response I had hoped for. The feeling of the parents who visit school more often and have "an ear to the ground" was that so much revenue was being raised that the school wouldn't change.

Anyway, I will copy the message received (have deleted personal stuff) and as usual, would appreciate comments/advice

Thanks for your patience in awaiting my response.

xxx is the Area Manager who covers xxx and I have of course consulted her.  She visited the school on Friday to check the food on offer and also spoke to Mr xxx the Business Manager at xxx.  She told him in general terms that we had had an enquiry about the food on offer at break times.

We do have an excellent working relationship with the school and are proud that we are their chosen caterer. Even though they now have Academy status we are pleased that they are still committed to complying with the Government's Food-based and Nutrient-based standards since so much work has gone on over the last few years to improve the eating habits of students.

As you stated we do offer a break time service in xxx which is common practice in most secondary schools.  This is to offer a service for students who have early or no breakfast before travelling to school, and also to provide the opportunity for students to have an early lunch or purchase food for lunchtime particularly if they are taking part in lunchtime activities.  Having said all of that we are also aware that there are many students who just find themselves in need of an extra snack.

We offer a wide range of food at break times including Box Salads,  Fruit, Yoghurts,  Pizza, Hot Pasta pots, Bacon Rolls, Paninis, Sandwiches and Wraps and we accept that some of these might be higher in calories than others. However we endeavour to work with the school to encourage healthy eating  by the use of education and promotions and hope that students will recognise that the more calorie dense items should be occasional treats rather than a daily requirement.

We believe that we offer value for money within our school meals service.  Over the last few years the changes made within our kitchens has resulted in the majority of our dishes being cooked from scratch using quality ingredients and then offered at affordable prices.  The agreement that we have with the school is that we offer a break-even service however in the event of us making a small profit for the school this is then reinvested in the kitchen and dining facilities.

If you would like to have a meeting on site with Mr xxx we would be more than happy to arrange this.

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 31 Jan 12 9:34pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

So its a breaktime service for those that have not had breakfast...... hmmmm ....so the  Pizza for breakfast !!!!

I am not sure who govens the acadamies , if they come under the local authority or if they are classed as independant .. I have no idea.

It seems a bit strange to me that they are thinking that the pizza would be ok for someone to eat for breakfast, no wonder Mr Oliver is concerned about the school achademy meals ! shocked

Please let us know how all this pogresses and do please stay around the forum and join in some of the discussions and fun threads  thumbsup

Last edited by mummza (Tue 31 Jan 12 9:34pm)

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 01 Feb 12 2:41pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

What a very polite way to tell you to bugger off.  Hot pasta pots and pizza are not breakfast items.  An egg sandwich, a bowl of oatmeal or even a granola bar would do a better job of that and still provide better nutrition.  Salad is not exactly breakfast food either now is it?  So his reasoning doesn't match what is happening.  The fact of the matter is that they make money off this, and that's their bottom line.  What's yours?

Your best bet would be to garner support from other parents.  One parent doesn't have a voice, there is strength in numbers though.  Don't let this dismissal veer you off course.

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 01 Feb 12 8:17pm

Greggj

Member since Mon 23 Jan 12

These people are the caterers. Why would they not make a profit? I'm a little confused by this and thought I'd ask here first

Likes (0)