forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 03 Feb 12 2:43am

thefluiddruid

Member since Fri 03 Feb 12

Rocket or Wild Rocket?

Hi,
I'm new here, but I've been growing my own food for much of my life (or gathering it in the wild).

I have a question.
My wife and I grow Arugula and I have heard that it's what the Brits call Rocket.
However I have also heard that Wild Rocket and Rocket are not the same plant.
Which one is what we call Arugula??

Thanks!!
Mike

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 03 Feb 12 3:49am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Rocket or Wild Rocket?

You are probably growing rocket

From Wikipedia

Rocket: Eruca sativa (syn. E. vesicaria subsp. sativa (Miller) Thell., Brassica eruca L.), is an edible annual plant, commonly known as rocket, roquette, rucola or arugula, not to be confused with Wild rocket. It is a species of Eruca native to the Mediterranean region, from Morocco and Portugal east to Lebanon and Turkey

Wild Rocket: Diplotaxis tenuifolia is a species of flowering plant in the mustard family known by the common name perennial wall-rocket. This plant is native to Europe and Western Asia. It can be found throughout much of the temperate world where it has naturalized.

smile

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 03 Feb 12 5:05am

thefluiddruid

Thanks!!

I wonder if Wild Rocket (Diplotaxis tenuifolia) is called something else here in the U.S.?

Mike

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 03 Feb 12 5:26am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I'm in Australia and I haven't heard of it here under any of its names!

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 03 Feb 12 3:25pm

thefluiddruid

Thanks!

My wife and I are very poor financially.
She's a vegetarian, and I'm a cardiac patient.
I'm looking for recopies that are healthier for me, and that I can leave meat out of 1/2 of for her.

We have a small garden plot, and like to grow our own veggies, so I'm looking to expand the types of veggies we grow and cook ethnic foods (especially the "peasant foods") from around the world.

Recently I had been studying Korean cooking (I make my own Kimchi, Chigae, and a few other things), and now I'm getting curious about old style European cooking styles.

I'm also really getting into doing traditional fermented veggies such as brine cured Sauerkraut, Kimchi, and various types of pickles.

Mike

It's a challenge to feed the two of us on $200 a month, but we make do, and as I learn more styles our diet becomes much heather and much less boring!!

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 03 Feb 12 3:39pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

To further confuse things, I believe that the various Eruca species can have either rounded leaves or pointed leaves, so they can look very similar to Diplotaxis tenufolia.  I think what I grew was Diplotaxis tenufolia, unless the Eruca's also have yellow flowers.  I wish I could remember, bought the seeds in Europe.  Anyway, it became a hideous, stinking weed as soon as the weather turned hot and humid which is usually mid-late spring in my area (D.C. area).  MrP resented the smell a lot more than me, but it was particularly bad when we stepped on the stray plants in the path.  I took too long removing it, my bad.

Good luck growing and experimenting.  I've been enjoying 'The Kimchi Chronicles'.  If you're able to get it where you are, check it out and you'll get some nice inspiration for Korean dishes.  I liked the food in Korea, the cold turnip soup was surprisingly good.  It's always a nice surprise when something you expect to eat hot is cold or something you expect to be very sweet is not (the latter is typical for Japanese 'sweets).

Forgot to ask you if you have a separate kimchi refrigerator?

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 03 Feb 12 3:51pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 03 Feb 12 4:20pm

thefluiddruid

Yep, I watch "The Kimchi Chronicles", it's a great show!!

We only have one small refrigerator, so I make small batches every month, and use the older more sour Kimchi to make Chigae. YUM!!

Making Sauerkraut is a similar process, and I make a killer Veggie **** with Nappa Cabbage (bok-choi or Chinese cabbage), head cabbage, onion, carrots, garlic, and a little flour to help fermentation.

I eat this fresh (rolled up in Napa Cabbage leafs and steamed), or put it in jars and let it ferment until it quits bubbling and turns sour.
Even the fermented sour veggies are good rolled up in a bit of flat-bread dough (think Hot Pocket or Calazone) with a bit of cheese and baked until the bread is done. dribble

Mike

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 03 Feb 12 4:21pm

thefluiddruid

?? Why did it edit the "****" part of VeggieKraut??

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 03 Feb 12 4:25pm

thefluiddruid

HMMM, I wonder how well Eruca would work in a ViggieKraut or Kimchi??
Has anyone tried it?

Mike

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 03 Feb 12 4:29pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Have you tried making any lightly pickled vegetables, such as the ones they use on top of various Korean dishes?  I'd like to try making them . . . perhaps we could begin a new thread on the topic if you have some recipes.

Likes (0)