forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 28 Feb 12 1:39am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Spring is on its way. The frogs told me!

I was pre warned of spring by migrating fogs (I sh!t you not). I rescued two from possible death before they crossed the road. I help them to the other side. I think they come out of hibernation, from the moor, heading to the quiet bit of the river. They use the zebra crossing(again I sh1t you not). But the cars don't stop.
One frog had already been splattered on our road. I like frogs, cars are the curse of the modern age, we all get in one every now and again, but they can make some  problems, thatís for sure. Sometimes I am glad I ride a bike .
I wonder if we can eat our wild frogs. Obviously I would not if they were endangered. I believe most frogs legs come from factory/cruelty  farms, not in France.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 28 Feb 12 10:19am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Spring is on its way. The frogs told me!

I had a mass migration across a  highway I was driving down one warm spring night.  It was not good for the frogs or me.   It was slightly foggy and I didn't see the road completely( and I do mean both lands completely) covered  in tiny green frogs, til I was driving through them.   If you know what black ice is, this was green ice. evil  evil  evil  To this day I am still not sure how I kept my truck out of the ditch.

Last edited by Ashen (Tue 28 Feb 12 10:20am)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#3 Tue 28 Feb 12 11:55am

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

@nGoose1 wrote:

I was pre warned of spring by migrating fogs (I sh!t you not). I rescued two from possible death before they crossed the road. I help them to the other side. I think they come out of hibernation, from the moor, heading to the quiet bit of the river. They use the zebra crossing(again I sh1t you not). But the cars don't stop.
One frog had already been splattered on our road. I like frogs, cars are the curse of the modern age, we all get in one every now and again, but they can make some  problems, thatís for sure. Sometimes I am glad I ride a bike .
I wonder if we can eat our wild frogs. Obviously I would not if they were endangered. I believe most frogs legs come from factory/cruelty  farms, not in France.

Frogs on the crossing ? and no-one stops.. unbelievable..no-one cares! some just want to squash them and others want to eat them lol

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 28 Feb 12 12:46pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Great place to start up a new snack shack......

.........."fresh frog legs and french fries".  smile

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 28 Feb 12 1:08pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

MMM frogs. I've never had "farm raised" frogs. We always go out and get our own.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 28 Feb 12 1:18pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

I was hanging out my washing only last Saturday when I heard the distinctive frog cry, looked around to find my cat staring intently at one. Of course I grabbed the cat and put him inside.
He never hurts them, he just picks them up in his mouth but then he doesn't know what to do with them

We have a frog pond in the garden so was lovely to hear the first one of the year.  big_smile

Last edited by joobes (Tue 28 Feb 12 1:19pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 28 Feb 12 3:03pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We need photo evidence of these frog migrations! We used to collect the eggs in the creek and put them into a big fish tank.  My mother made us take them back to the creek when the tadpoles began to sprout legs.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 28 Feb 12 3:45pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I must investigate in the nelumbo and ninfea pots, they aren't covered with ice anymore  crossed  wink

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 28 Feb 12 4:15pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

There are signs to aware drivers that certain spots are ritual crossings for amphibians unfortunately they are difficult to avoid.
Some Town in GB had a tunnel made under one busy road to enable these creatures to reach the other side...signs up for the drivers so all was perfect....

...though the authorities omitted to inform the interested  yikes

Toad patrolling:
http://www.froglife.org/toadsonroads/

Why they migrate:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/51925.html

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 28 Feb 12 8:56pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

oh there is a design competition under way here to find like a logo for the "attention! frogs on the road!" campaign. I would like to participate but I dont have a very good idea what the sign should feature exactly. a frog with a stop sign  question

Likes (0)