Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 28 Feb 12 11:08pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: who's knocking at the kitchen door

Tea for me please mada big_smile I have a little pack of noisette café if needed...

Open the door and let them in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orAkeA7j … re=related

Is your kitchen on the top floor yikes

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 29 Feb 12 7:33am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

halfway

Danny could you please load a pic of the backdoor of Jamie's kitchen for us to bring coffee and teas without passing through the introduction door

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Wed 29 Feb 12 1:28pm)

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 29 Feb 12 11:07am

williamszz

Member since Wed 30 Nov 11

Our kitchen doors open out to the terrace and garden......handy to pick herbs & fresh veg when cooking as well as for casual outdoor entertaining with friends. I used to like it when the kids were small as I could watch them play while getting dinner ready.

Last edited by williamszz (Wed 29 Feb 12 11:09am)

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 29 Feb 12 1:01pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

minerva wrote:

kye in france wrote:

It really is not correct to show people the back door when they come visiting....unless they are already old friends or family wink

It used to be traditional here that the backdoor was the 'tradesman's entrance', & the frontdoor reserved for 'polite society'..........
........however, I don't use my frontdoor at all.........everyone who is anyone comes to the back of the house, the tradesman are left knocking in vain at the front!

The best gardens are at the back, the wine is poured at the back, the kitchen door leads directly to patios, paths, seats, flowers & open countryside.......the front is north-facing & cold even in summer!

My front door opens from a passage out of our kitchen and into our front garden, it is really quite pretty and semi-enclosed from the street, the back door opens into a storage room that has to be crossed before getting to the garden outside. What does that say about how the house was designed? Odd!

Mostly friends come in the front, go to the kitchen, and feel at home.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 29 Feb 12 1:33pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

front and back doors how we use them and how people coming to see us  behave with them say a lot about our lives  think  big_smile

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 29 Feb 12 2:06pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I reckon so, love.........I'm so NOT polite society............just rough trade!!!  lol

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 29 Feb 12 2:24pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

thumbsup  lol ciao Minni I'll never ring the bell coming with a tray covered with a heap of fresh tagliatelle, I brought some to my sister today, and with the first sclupit of the season (what was your word for that?? tango? champion? something like that think

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Wed 29 Feb 12 2:25pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 29 Feb 12 7:13pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

I dont have a door bell wink i ripped it out when the kids played with it too many times years ago.

Only friends enter the garden gate to knock on the door, when no answer they go around the corner and peep into the front living room to see if i am there...though that room is often empty roll  lol

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 29 Feb 12 7:37pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We have a simple home, no grand entry and everyone uses the front door.  Since we have never owned the key to the lock on the kitchen door, we don't use it for fear of locking ourselves out.  Both the kitchen door and another door near it lead to the shady back garden that is enclosed by a wood privacy fence and surrounded by very old, large white oak trees on nearby properties.

Last edited by MsPablo (Wed 29 Feb 12 7:41pm)

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 29 Feb 12 9:59pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

well.... my kitchen door opens to the basement. in the country. so. I guess the ones knocking at the door are ...monsters? jam monsters?

Likes (0)