#22 Sat 03 Mar 12 7:43pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: who's knocking at the kitchen door

Grand_Ma wrote:

the first sclupit of the season (what was your word for that?? tango? champion? something like that

Campion..............That's the common name for it here.........Silene is it's Latin name

Likes (0)

#23 Sat 03 Mar 12 10:36pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

From our front door you can see straight through the house & into the yard.. the hall widens in places but it is straight as an arrow.

No one can access the back door as the yard is fenced.

Our last home was one where no one used the front door.. we had a really loud bell there just in case strangers came.

The kitchen here is a bit awkward for people to visit in.. I miss that about my old kitchen (the one in my avatar) as there was a bench with 2 stools there.

Likes (0)

#24 Sat 03 Mar 12 11:25pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

frizz1974 wrote:

From our front door you can see straight through the house & into the yard.. the hall widens in places but it is straight as an arrow.

That's how our house is, too. It would be disconcerting to me if someone came to my back door, as that would mean he/she would have to walk all the way around our house and into the kids' play area in the backyard. I probably wouldn't mind it if it was someone I know, but if it was a stranger, I'd probably freak out a little.  hmm

My kitchen has 2 doors - the back door mentioned above and the door that leads to the garage.

Likes (0)

#25 Sat 03 Mar 12 11:47pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

No one could come through to our back door.. long before they got there I would be running to see what all the barking is about.

Our gates are locked as dog theft is not unheard of in this region...and you would have to be pretty confident to jump over as our dogs are quite agro with strangers & even with people they know if they jump the gate.

Last edited by frizz1974 (Sat 03 Mar 12 11:50pm)

Likes (0)

#26 Sun 04 Mar 12 3:04am

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

We don't have a gate or a dog, but we do live on a cul-de-sac, and if anyone came all the way around our house to get to the back door, it would be way out of the way. So I think if someone were to do that, he must be up to no good. We are surrounded by dogs, but most of them just wag their tails when they see a person, so they're no help.  roll  lol

Likes (0)

#27 Sun 04 Mar 12 12:52pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

We are all cat-people here, only one dog for miles!

All the backs of our properties open onto arable fields so are accessable should anyone be bothered, so there's no point in making the perimeter like Fort Knox.
Instead there are security cameras all over the village, linked to the local police station, so if anyone has anything nicked the police just pick them up on camera, find the registration of the vehicle, cop 'em & give us back our property.
Well, that's the theory............but since installing the cameras no-one has tried to nick anything!

Likes (0)

#28 Sun 04 Mar 12 7:34pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

minerva wrote:

kye in france wrote:

It really is not correct to show people the back door when they come visiting....unless they are already old friends or family wink

It used to be traditional here that the backdoor was the 'tradesman's entrance', & the frontdoor reserved for 'polite society'..........
........however, I don't use my frontdoor at all.........everyone who is anyone comes to the back of the house, the tradesman are left knocking in vain at the front!

The best gardens are at the back, the wine is poured at the back, the kitchen door leads directly to patios, paths, seats, flowers & open countryside.......the front is north-facing & cold even in summer!

'Back door' in France being the back entrance, which is totally private...bay windows, living room openings onto patios often built high above the cellars, i dont know anyone that actually has a 'back door' or side door that is so popular in GB dating from the time that tradesmen delivered the goods....apart from really big estates..mansions, chateaux.

Arriving to visit family, we knock at and enter the front door on arrival, the back openings are used once we are inside....if they are open.

I suppose, though am not sure that further in the north of France when i see the houses in Calais that look very much like houses in Dover, there might be a back door...or side as there are passages along the side of the houses.

My own gardens are also at the back of the house and around the sides, the front being like yours, not having very much sun.

Likes (0)

#29 Sun 04 Mar 12 10:17pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

let us put it in another way, are there habits like walking through a path in your garden, which is not the paved one? I mean I often walk following a designed path in my campo, and do not know why, i could walk everywhere but have created unwillingly a net of steps leading to water or to my tools, when I want to rationalize this instead of simplifying my work I make it more confusing.

the same must be with rooms and doors, the door I use frequently is one going from our livingroom to the terrazza and the garden

I'm a cavewoman after all lol

Likes (0)

#30 Sun 04 Mar 12 10:41pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Hello cavewoman
my path is full of holes !
caused by the bad weather , I have to be careful not to trip.

in the garden behnd the house there are old victorian paving bricks like these
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=victor … 1&ty=1
quite a few of them I found in builders waste skips but many of them were put in place when the house was built over 100 years ago.
the garden behind the house is small , its a walled garden and the walls are made of old stone.
The snails that like to eat their way through my little garden live between the stones of these walls.
I had managed to grow some Antirrhinum plants in the cracks of the wall between the stones , they grew well for a few years but last winers heavy snowfalls and frosts killed the plants.
I will try again to plant some more this year , they looked so pretty and as we get a lot of rain here in Wales they were always well watered !

Likes (0)