Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 14 Mar 12 11:35am

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Pink Slime

Hi everyone,

You may have seen this in the press recently - here is a copy of one of Jamie's tweets about it:

WELL DONE @thelunchtray for continuing the fight against #pinkslime in school food SIGN IT http://chn.ge/xSTtj4 #foodrevolution

There is a petition that Jamie is supporting, also Jamie's video from the Food Revolution show in the States that aired on ABC:

http://www.allergykids.com/blog/jamie-o … ink-slime/

Just wanted to keep you all in the loop as I know that not everyone is on Twitter ; )

Thoughts on the Pink Slime debate?

Danny

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 14 Mar 12 1:04pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Pink Slime

lukily  it is not something that is allowed here in Canada. Health Canada does not allow ammonia to be used in meat packing industry. It is used in other food products though.  In fact there is a cookie my mom used to make that used ammonium bicarbonate that was really good.  I am less concerned with the process than with the way it is hidden and unlabeled . People should be given the choice to avoid it if they so wish.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#3 Wed 14 Mar 12 1:40pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 14 Mar 12 2:17pm

Danny

From Jamie's Office

Not good - I have been reading more about it and one lobbying group who want to keep it (stating that the ammonium is not harmful) base their claims on research done in 1974! crazy

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 14 Mar 12 2:21pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We must stand up for what is right.  To make a profit on children with such products is just disgusting!

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 14 Mar 12 2:33pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Danny wrote:

Not good - I have been reading more about it and one lobbying group who want to keep it (stating that the ammonium is not harmful) base their claims on research done in 1974! crazy

research done in 1974 ..... Blimey that is totally crazy , technology  and how we interperate/ understand things has moved on a lot since 1974 and results these days might just be different.
Sorry but it sounds like they need to up themselves !

shocked

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 14 Mar 12 4:26pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Danny, Such outdated research is laughable.  Jamie was the one who alerted me to pink slime and alot of other US citizens.  We talked about it at my work just last week and I wasn't the one that brought the subject up.  I was so proud that people know about Jamie from reading and not from hearing me talk about him and what he does.  It made for a wonderful conversation.  smile

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 14 Mar 12 5:14pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Ammonia is not only in pink stuff.....

"Q:  In what foods is ammonium hydroxide used in processing?

A: The list of foods in which ammonium hydroxide is used as a direct food additive is extensive and includes baked goods, cheeses, chocolates, other confectionery (e.g., caramel),  and puddings.  Ammonium hydroxide is also used as an antimicrobial agent in meat products.

Ammonia in other forms (e.g., ammonium sulfate, ammonium alginate) is used in condiments, relishes, soy protein concentrates/isolates, snack foods, jams and jellies, and non-alcoholic beverages.

The World Health Organization has listed hundreds of food types that may be processed using ammonium hydroxide when used in accordance with good manufacturing practices.  These include dairy products, confections, fruits and vegetables, baked goods, breakfast cereals, eggs, fish, beverages such as sports drinks and beer, and meats."
http://www.foodinsight.org/Resources/De … Production

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 14 Mar 12 5:41pm

Danny

From Jamie's Office

we have set up a Facebook page as well to protest about Pink Slime:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-Pin … 5620543193

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 14 Mar 12 5:51pm