Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Mon 02 Apr 12 1:35pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Re: Pink Slime

"pink slime" rules!

To recover from the PR nightmare created by the media what can companies that produce AMR do?

Alton Brown has used ammonia/water bath to clean kitchen utensils and I seem to remember for a food product as well. Maybe if Alton declares it "Good Eats" it will placate the silly public who want to know where their food comes from.

Too bad Nickelodeon award show uses green slime maybe the stars could have been slimmed with pink instead?

Or maybe just require that the companies that use the AMR product label the respective products that it is used in accordingly? Hmmm... sounds too logical. Since the product only effects those who don't buy the higher grade of meat maybe it doesn't really matter?
think

Last edited by Pakman (Mon 02 Apr 12 6:50pm)

Likes (0)

#52 Mon 02 Apr 12 7:19pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia

I sorry but BPI needs a new PR representative "Like any responsible member of the meat industry, we are not perfect."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31 … wanted=all

At least Jamie says in his less than real depiction of the AMR process that it is HIS idea of how it works.  whistle

It's really funny to see how much impact Jamie's effort to get school kids real food for lunch and what a couple of former USDA scientists turned whistle blower have had on the industry.

Scientists = 1
Jamie = 0

whistle

Likes (0)

#53 Mon 02 Apr 12 9:45pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia

Maybe instead of "mocking him" you should be dealing with the problem and trying to save the jobs of the 200+ people at the 3 "suspended operation" plants.

Maybe that's too logical too think

Likes (0)

#54 Tue 03 Apr 12 11:57am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Still not debate.. Just name calling and trying to ridicule.  I suggest you actually read all of my posts in this thread before you go on ranting about how I am afraid of the process. whistle

My response to your assertion that Jamie somehow owes these companies an apology and is responsible for the reactions of the consumers, is still the same. The industry  brought this upon themselves by their own ethically questionable  actions.

You have an issue with the demonstration Jamie used.
Let us look at it then.

He takes trimmings and uses a blender to grind them up.
As a representation of the first step of the process , it gives a good visual picture  with the limited equipment he had on hand .   I am sure he can afford a $20 K centrifuge , but the blender got the point across well enough I thought.

Next he pours Ammonia hydroxide on it .   

Did he add to much ?
Maybe  but how do you or I know for sure. If you can find exact amounts of how much Ammonia gas is added in the process , I would love to see a link to that info.

Should he have used ammonia gas? Really not a great  option. It would require some very specific safety equipment and  procedures , as ammonia can be very dangerous in a gaseous state.

In the process the ammonia gas combines with moisture in the meat to form ammonia hydroxide, so using ammonia hydroxide  in solution really isn't that much of a departure from the procedure in a demonstration.

So really the only quibble I can see about it  is the amount of ammonia hydroxide he added. BPI claims this is more than their process but I certainly have not been able to find info of the precise amounts they use . Jamie may or may not have tried to find that out but at the end of the day ,your basic complaint is they that you don't like his RECIPE.

I personally don't see anything that requires an apology.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#55 Tue 03 Apr 12 12:59pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

I suggest that from now on we only feed the trolls with pink slime, they apparently love it.

Likes (0)

#56 Thu 05 Apr 12 8:43am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

You see, eating too much Pink Slime turns people into rabid trolls defending their right to eat Pink Slime. Each to his own I guess.

We on the other hand prefer to eat real food.

Here's one especially for all the trolls out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkfVdrtL … re=related

Likes (0)

#57 Thu 05 Apr 12 10:05am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Thankyou Falconcy and god bless for that extraordinary link! lol  lol  lol  clap  clap  clap  help

Likes (0)

#58 Thu 05 Apr 12 10:13am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Thanks for sharing that Falconcy.... lol

Likes (0)

#59 Thu 05 Apr 12 11:58am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia

Joey McGee wrote:

Pakman wrote:

I sorry but BPI needs a new PR representative "Like any responsible member of the meat industry, we are not perfect."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31 … wanted=all

What are you even talking about? How does this give the company a bad name?

Never said it gave the company a bad name. Said they need a new PR rep.

Joey McGee wrote:

Yes, I believe the representive was making the case that they are not flawless, omnipotent, omniscient beings. But at least their facilities are the best possible and they have NEVER had an outbreak, NEVER had anything contaminated leave their factory. I don't see you all calling for Maple Leaf to go bankrupt, how many people did that KILL?

That is your take on it (and then misdirection to some other company).

Looking at the sentence "Like any responsible member of the meat industry, we are not perfect." If trying to read between the lines you could derive all sorts of motives for saying something like that.
But it has nothing to do with the problem and the remedy to the problem. That is why I think it is pointless to say something like that and is counter-productive to consumer/company relations.

People are not all idiots and when treated with respect and forthcoming they will most likely become loyal clients (maybe even advocates).

Joey McGee wrote:

You telling me that this is some kind of admission is just you confirming that anything you see in reality instantly gets meshed into your conspiracy theory.

This form of communication is why people are calling you a "troll".

Likes (0)

#60 Thu 05 Apr 12 12:27pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia

AFA bankruptcy
"Despite reportedly being in financial trouble before the “pink slime” controversy stormed the mainstream and social media universes, another ground beef processor is now crying uncle because of it.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mickeymeece … afa-foods/

LA Times Article on it. I find this part poignant.
"All of the meat processing companies have been slow to grapple with the growing pink-slime hullabaloo, even though there doesn't seem to be much evidence that their products are particularly unhealthy, said Bill Marler, a Seattle lawyer who specializes in food safety and food poisoning cases.

"My only complaint about this product is I think they could have been more up-front with the public," Marler said. "When companies are not open about what their product is and what it contains, positive and negative, people get concerned and assume the worst."

The meat industry failed itself by not staying abreast of social media and online forums for signs of trouble, said Jonathan Bernstein of Bernstein Crisis Management in Sierra Madre.

"They lost control of the message," he said. "Perception is everything. If enough people perceive that something is wrong, it's wrong. Reassurances that something's safe from groups that are now distrusted are useless at this point."
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-p … 5002.story

Likes (0)