forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 18 Mar 12 12:08am

dhartley

Occupation Office Wallah
From Yorkshire / E Sussex
Member since Thu 15 Mar 12

What are you growing this year?

Tomorrow (perhaps a couple of weeks too late) I'm going to sow all of this years herbs, chillis and salad leaves. I'm a bit limited because I don't have a garden and have to do it all on windowsills, but the sage and chives from last year are doing well so I won't be doing more of those, and I'm knocking basil on the head this year.

The big experiment is with cumin, as I've never grown it before so that could be a laugh. What are you growing this year? Anything new or unusual? Any new techniques you're going to try? Do tell guys and gals!

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 18 Mar 12 1:30am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: What are you growing this year?

Where to start with what I grow, it would probably be easier to tell you what I don't grow!
I grow most of my fruits/veg/salads needed for 9 months of the year, the other 3 is limited to winter 'greens', root veg in a 'clamp' in the garage, & the stuff I've preserved in the freezer or as jams/chutneys/liqueurs & so on.

This year's new projects include constructing 2 new raised beds for soft fruit & salads, landscaping a medium-sized garden for someone who lives near me, & growing melons in the open air (just to see if I can).

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 18 Mar 12 11:35am

christian_halfm

Occupation Sometimes I would like to know myself (or like to change it).
From Germany
Member since Thu 17 Mar 11

I try to do some tomatoes and rocket on the windowsill. In the garden I just put in some rhubarb. Outside I will have some salad, carrots, and time will tell what else.
Just for fun I put two small lemon plants outside that I got from the seed of some organic lemons I had last year. I guess, though, it will lead nowhere, since the climate is not suitable. However, I already have a bigger lemon plant on the windowsill. I simply enjoy looking at it.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 18 Mar 12 11:57am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

christian_halfm wrote:

Just for fun I put two small lemon plants outside that I got from the seed of some organic lemons I had last year. I guess, though, it will lead nowhere, since the climate is not suitable. However, I already have a bigger lemon plant on the windowsill. I simply enjoy looking at it.

Did you realise that the Lemon plants won't bear fruit?
They need to be grafted from live wood to do that.
Still, they make a lovely foliage plant, with a citrussy smell.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 18 Mar 12 3:13pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I'm trying to follow the biodynamic calendar for sowing my certified bio-seeds this year, but when it's too stressing I just follow my instinct and take advantage of the weather and my mood conditions having the same tune wink  lol

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 18 Mar 12 5:03pm

mark's kitchen

Occupation Head cook, Mark's Kitchen & Smokin' BBQ
From santa rosa,california,usa
Member since Mon 21 Jun 04

My first try at growing herbs, bought some starter Italian parsley, thyme,oregano. The basil won't be ready till mom's day. I have no clue, the folks at Imwalles said the parsley needs shade and the others sun, oh and keep them away from the dogs, I asked if the dogs would eat them and she said," maybe, but they most definitely will pee on them and you don't want to eat that". Hmmmmmm
Should be fun.

Mark

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 18 Mar 12 7:06pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

All the herbs........pots and pots of coriander and mint (we use a lot and offer to a friend).

onions, garlic, tomatoes, radishes, various salads, melons, butternut, chillis, peppers, kol-rabi, potatoes, rhubarbe, sorrel, celery, rutabaga, crosne...... and also some beetroot for our elderly neighbour....

Our Lemon tree caught cold, it has been trimmed but it will probably take another three years before we have more fruit.

what have i fogotten hmm

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 18 Mar 12 8:59pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Going to have another go at tomatoes!

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 18 Mar 12 11:41pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I still must decide what goes where, since I digged lots of manure in my orto, I think I would better grow tomatoes peppers and aubergines, pumpkins, later fennels there, while carrots and salads should be grown in my campo with potatoes and maybe mais again think  think

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 19 Mar 12 8:43am

dhartley

Occupation Office Wallah
From Yorkshire / E Sussex
Member since Thu 15 Mar 12

dhartley wrote:

Tomorrow (perhaps a couple of weeks too late) I'm going to sow all of this years herbs, chillis and salad leaves. I'm a bit limited because I don't have a garden and have to do it all on windowsills, but the sage and chives from last year are doing well so I won't be doing more of those, and I'm knocking basil on the head this year.

The big experiment is with cumin, as I've never grown it before so that could be a laugh. What are you growing this year? Anything new or unusual? Any new techniques you're going to try? Do tell guys and gals!

All sown. I've got rosemary, thyme, cumin, habaneros, jalapenos, coriander, lollo rossa, rocket and two types of leaf lettuce. I've sown nasturtiums too in an attempt to attract hoverflies and keep those bugs at bay!

Likes (0)