Jamie Oliver

forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 10 Apr 12 11:50am

wootia

Member since Tue 10 Apr 12

Tips for roasting a good lamb.

This is the piece of meat I can't deal with or get it right. Any advises on a good choice of lamb and maybe an answer why it turns out to be so "tired" and dry?Thank you!!!

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 10 Apr 12 12:04pm

Nikisha

From Vienna, Austria
Member since Mon 20 Dec 04

Re: Tips for roasting a good lamb.

We had lamb on Easter Sunday and it was delicious. We always buy lamb at a muslim butcher, I have the impression that their way of slaughtering makes the meat a lot more tender and it gets rid of that "sheep smell/taste" that you sometimes get. But in general lamb is a meat where quality really shows. We had a deboned leg of lamb, rolled it together and marinated it overnight with thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and lemon zest. Then we roasted it for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours at medium heat, depending on the weight/size of the meat. Then put it in tinfoil and let it rest for about 10-15 minutes. We served it with roast potatoes and some braised fennel and carrots. yummy!

When we barbecue lamb we marinate it the same way but also add lemon juice which makes it even more tender!

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 10 Apr 12 8:24pm

wootia

Member since Tue 10 Apr 12

Nikisha, Thank you so much. I should give it a go-your way!!!!And and the "smell" bothers alot! Good stuff. Thanks

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 10 Apr 12 8:46pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

My favorite is Lamb confit with honey, garlic and rosemary

2 tsp tablespoons lavender honey
2 cloves garlic
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 tsp soy sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
Pepper

In a bowl, mix honey, soy sauce, oil and pepper.

Using a sharp knife, make notches in the meat. Peel the garlic cloves and slice them thinly. Fill half the cuts by thin slices of garlic and the other, with small sprigs of rosemary.

Place the lamb in a lightly oiled baking dish. Using a brush, coat the mixture wth the honey, soy sauce, oil.

Bake for three quarters of an hour. Every quarter of an hour out from oven to coat the pan juices over the meat.

Slit the meat to check that it is cooked (to your taste), we eat Lamb when still very pink but not bloody...matter of taste.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 11 Apr 12 3:02am

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

My preceptor in newborn nursery in Syracuse, NY was Iranian (she said Persian).  She said their sheep had a fat pad on their back by their tail and not much elsewhere which made them tastier, and easier to butcher in the Halal manner.  I wouldn't know personally, but that's what she told me.  I asked for a few recipes, and got an amazing recipe for their rice with the "tadighe" or crispy bits on the bottom.  I think I may have seen something similar on Jamie's recipes.

She was a very knowledgeable nurse, and a wonderful person who taught me much in all areas.

Last edited by nanstertoo (Wed 11 Apr 12 3:04am)

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 11 Apr 12 1:25pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

The easiest thing in the world to make is roast shoulder of lamb.  Don't be afraid of how weird it looks.  Buy it, season it as you wish, put it in a deep roasting dish and cover it with foil.  Throw it in a medium oven 325F for 4hrs.  Don't peek at it, don't open the oven, don't mess with it just leave it alone.  After 4 hrs take it out, let it rest for 30 minutes covered and then voila, perfect lamb right off the bone. 

Some seasonings I love include lemon/rosemary/garlic or a spicy moroccan rub with cumin/coriander/fennel seeds/cayenne/cinammon and a bit of lemon.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 12 Apr 12 4:33am

kate789

From Sydney
Member since Thu 12 Apr 12

I have done the lamb shoulder exactly as listed above, but for seasonings I have used about 5 tsp cumin seeds, 2 tsp black peppercorns and 5 cloves garlic smashed together, added salt and rubbed into the meat.  Then put it in the backing tray on top of a bed of sliced onions and top the meat with about 5 halved pears (sounds weird I know but its lovely)

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 12 Apr 12 12:38pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

I've never cooked a big cut of lamb, but OH grills lamb chops sometimes. We usually use seasonings similar to Nikisha, but normally use rosemary instead. So, olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon, garlic, and rosemary.  yummy

Edit:  Oh, and I agree about using a halal butcher, if you have one near you. Much better meat.

Last edited by mommyof2nc (Thu 12 Apr 12 12:40pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 12 Apr 12 2:26pm

lynnej

Occupation Web Designer
From Netherlands
Member since Wed 02 Sep 09

kye in france wrote:

My favorite is Lamb confit with honey, garlic and rosemary

That sounds really good, I think I'll try it this weekend.

What temp do you roast it on Kye?

Last edited by lynnej (Thu 12 Apr 12 2:27pm)

Likes (0)