forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Fri 27 Apr 12 12:53am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Homemade Yoghurt - Help Please..

Yes BritFinn the probiotics are the live cultures.
(This is how wikipedia names them: Dairy yogurt is produced using a culture of Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus and Streptococcus salivarius subsp. thermophilus bacteria. In addition, other lactobacilli and bifidobacteria are also sometimes added during or after culturing yogurt.)

It used to be that you couldn't buy one WITHOUT live culture in, but then they made the really sweet custardy ones that they still manage to call yoghurt....
Not sure how!

Get the best brand of plain unsweetened yoghurt, and the freshest you can find. You should be right!

wave

Likes (0)

#22 Fri 27 Apr 12 11:01am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

crossed  crossed for all yogurth adventures big_smile

Likes (0)

#23 Sat 28 Apr 12 3:42am

julieanne70

Member since Fri 20 Apr 12

crossed

Please let us know how you go with your yoghurt and good luck!

Julie   smile

Likes (0)

#24 Sat 28 Apr 12 10:42am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Thanks Joy, next time I'm at the shops I'll get some and give it a go.  And I'll definitely report back thumbsup

Likes (0)

#25 Wed 02 May 12 4:17am

julieanne70

Hi

I have made my second batch of yoghurt - yay!

However, it is a little lumpy, so was my first batch but thought perhaps it was just the milk I had used (ie supermarket brand milk), so second time around I used organic full cream milk. As the yoghurt is still lumpy I figure it is something I am doing wrong.

I could sieve it I guess roll

Any thoughts?

Thanks heaps.

Julie

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 02 May 12 8:51am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

when you start put two tbsp of yogurth in the bowl then a few spoons of milk at the right temp and whisk with a fork to dissolve the yogurth, then add milk slowly still whisking, I sometimes have a frotty surface on my yogurth

maybe this helps think  wink  crossed
ciao and congrats for your constancy I do not know the number of times this procedure has to be made to be sure it works (you know every recipe I asked for  a friend cook he told me after 2500 times you'll know how to do it properly, and the number varied every time) he did not make yogurth though  lol

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 02 May 12 10:36am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

That is the only thing I can think of too Julieanne, that the yoghurt starter wasn't mixed in well enough.
Goodluck for very smooth next time!

Likes (0)

#28 Wed 02 May 12 12:14pm

julieanne70

Thank you!

I used a fork to mix, I'll be more diligent with my next batch & let you know how I go.

Hopefully, this helps someone else trying to make yoghurt.

Feta cheese next!!

kind regards

Julie

Likes (0)

#29 Wed 02 May 12 1:07pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ

have ever tryed making paneer?

Likes (0)

#30 Wed 02 May 12 1:36pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

julieanne70 wrote:

Hi

I have made my second batch of yoghurt - yay!

However, it is a little lumpy, so was my first batch but thought perhaps it was just the milk I had used (ie supermarket brand milk), so second time around I used organic full cream milk. As the yoghurt is still lumpy I figure it is something I am doing wrong.

No dont seive it Julie it would become a bit runny.

Spured on by your post I also made a batch of yghurt yesterday , mine is also a little , ell not lumpy, but it does lack the super smooth texture of shop bought yoghurt.
( this is probably due to the things that they add to the shop yoghurt to stabilise and improve its keeping properties. )
I did see that the recipe included powdered milk, I did not have any and could not remember ever adding this before... so I ignored that part of the recip thnking that all it would do is to enrich the yoghurt.

I made plain yoghurt ,( next time I think I might add some cooked fruit  to the mix and see what happens. ).
I plan to add some chopped onion ,cucumber and mint  to some of the yoghurt that I made to accompany a curry for supper today.

Grandmadamada.. I have ade Paneer, but not for a long time.

Likes (0)