Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 23 May 12 3:19pm

jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

Ask me a cooking question

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all of the great work that you do here on the forums helping each other and making this a great website to be a part of. I want to help out as well so I have started this thread to answer any cooking questions that you may have. I can't promise that I will be able to answer all of them but I will give it my best shot! So ask away....

Nice one

Jamie x

Likes (13)

#2 Wed 23 May 12 5:04pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

Re: Ask me a cooking question

I can't get things crispy when I roast them, like chicken, or potatoes. I think it's because my oven is electric, but even when I use the old, heating up the fat in the oven and then putting the spuds in- trick I can't seem to get them to go crispy. My friends suggested I cheat and do roast spuds in the deep fryer but it's not the healthiest option. Everything I roast ends up looking poached.

hmm

Likes (2)

#3 Wed 23 May 12 6:26pm

MikeInTX

From North Texas
Member since Wed 23 May 12

What's your favorite way to cook eggplant? I've only had it done up as eggplant parmigiana, and it's almost alwys ended up (I asume) somewhat overcooked and slimey.

Thanks!

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 23 May 12 6:35pm

KarinCleary

What is the best method to cooking pizza in a conventional oven so that the crust turns out crisp?

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 23 May 12 6:41pm

batmom417

What types of food  are cooked on each of the levels in the oven??So confused by it all. hmm

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 23 May 12 6:44pm

Lemon-Thyme

Occupation Staying Happy
From N.Vancouver, BC Canada

Hi Jamie..Okay, everytime I make a beurre blanc, it's almost too vinegary tasting..I whip it into submission thinking that it should break down some of the acidity. I have tried so many vinegars. What vinegar do you use? I am not giving up!  tongue

Thanks!
Anne-Marie

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 23 May 12 6:51pm

Carmenellie

Ever since I saw a guy on Chopped fail at making a champagne ice cream, I've wanted to make a really good one. I have no idea how to go about blending champagne and cream together without it breaking. Any ideas? Thanks!

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 23 May 12 7:10pm

mramanzini

I bought Asafoetida and I am worried to use it since it says that can cause vomits if not ''fried' enough. Any recipe with Asafoetida? Any advice on how to use it? Cheers from Argentina

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 23 May 12 7:19pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

have you a fool proof sorbet recipe for me please, I sort of gave up trying to make sorbets some years ago as they were turning out a bit too sweet and had a few too many big ice crystals in .

(Ice cream... well I have not made that for a while either but will get back on the case soon !)

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 23 May 12 7:35pm

dhartley

Occupation Office Wallah
From Yorkshire / E Sussex
Member since Thu 15 Mar 12

Hi Jamie, seeing as you're offering; when I bake bread the second rising is always an epic fail. Why is this happening?

Is there anything you'd like to ask us? I can field questions on art, music and fixing things!

Cheers!
(",)

Likes (0)