forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#991 Wed 17 Apr 13 3:06pm

guillermo.zarzo

Member since Wed 17 Apr 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi Jamie
wrote you an e-mail about the bad translation in spanish of Jamie´s 15 minutes meals.I hope people don´t mess up the recipes and blame you because of this
Sunny greetings
Guillermo

Likes (0)

#992 Wed 17 Apr 13 5:05pm

Tournesol

Member since Sat 25 Feb 12

A few years back I came across a recipe for an orange salad dressing, it was fantastic but now I've lost it. I know it contained orange zest, orange juice and oil. It created an unctious dressing that clung to everything it touched. Have you heard of it or can you give me the recipe? Cheers from France. Thanks Colin P. mrgreen

Likes (0)

#993 Thu 18 Apr 13 10:11am

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

RedfoxEstonia wrote:

maybe Jamies´ gardener Pete can answer this: what would YOU do when in april it is still -5C and snowing and the ground is iced over? when it does melt, will it be too late to plant anything? what can a gardener do until then?

cause the winter just won´t leave Estonia alone. there is a foot of snow in the south part as well.

Hey! Pete sent over an answer this morning:

'I am not familiar with growing in Estonia and how long the growing season extends into autumn but there are a few things you can try to improve your chances of a good season, despite the over-long winter. While you are waiting for the snow to melt and the ground to thaw, sow as many of your favourite crops indoors in pots or modules as you can or even buy them in from a nursery or garden centre. As soon as the snow disappears, get the ground warming up by covering it with black plastic sheeting, weed control fabric or cloches. Keep potting up your indoor-raised plants until conditions are favourable for planting out, though remember to harden them off first. Have a look at a book with growing instructions relevant to where you are. Most crops have a window of a few weeks in which to sow or plant. If you are still within that window, you should be fine. Spring usually happens fast when it does arrive and things try hard to catch up. If you miss the window for some things, don't panic - just sow faster maturing crops instead. You can extend the season in autumn a bit with the use of cloches. Another good tip is to ask old relatives of neighbours for growing advice. They are likely to have experienced a winter like this before. Hope this helps.'

Likes (0)

#994 Thu 18 Apr 13 12:58pm

kerryanne.doughty

Member since Thu 18 Apr 13

I love to cook and try different recipes, and I really enjoy Asian food. My problem is that I absolutely loathe Coriander. That's fine if I go out to restaurants, as I can ask them not to put Coriander in my food. But many recipes that I'd like to try at home have this ingredient, and so I'm missing out on trying some amazing dishes all because of it. Does anyone know a different herb that I could substitute for Coriander without ruining whatever I'm cooking? javascript:emoticon('help')

Likes (0)

#995 Thu 18 Apr 13 3:31pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

thank you Pete for the answer! we are ready for action now, although it is still cold during nigths and ast some parts snow hasn´t melted, the daily temperatures are in the + and there is quite a lot of sunshine and few clouds.

indeed, it seems the plants themselves compensate for the negative effects of that extended winter.

It would have been a great year for inventing recipes out of snow and ice though. some peoples said "Let´s eat snow!" LOL

Likes (0)

#996 Thu 18 Apr 13 4:19pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

guillermo.zarzo wrote:

Hi Jamie
wrote you an e-mail about the bad translation in spanish of Jamie´s 15 minutes meals.I hope people don´t mess up the recipes and blame you because of this
Sunny greetings
Guillermo

Hi Guillermo, to where did you send the email?

Thanks,
Merlin

Likes (0)

#997 Thu 18 Apr 13 5:46pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

RedfoxEstonia wrote:

some peoples said "Let´s eat snow!" LOL

Redfox...Handy hint no1...

Never eat yellow snow.. big_smile

Likes (0)

#998 Thu 18 Apr 13 9:48pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

wine~o wrote:

RedfoxEstonia wrote:

some peoples said "Let´s eat snow!" LOL

Redfox...Handy hint no1...

Never eat yellow snow.. big_smile

thank you for that joke. do you know it was excavated first together with a nest of dinosaur eggs? (no offence)

Likes (0)

#999 Sat 20 Apr 13 8:14pm

shuchun.tse

Member since Sat 20 Apr 13

Hi Jamie,

I watched 15 minutes meal - episode 27, you used sesame oil to fry steaks and the stir fry. I do think that sesame oil is pretty potent stuff, it is used like truffle oil for flavor in chinese cooking (though you can cook sesame oil), so how do you make that work?

Likes (0)

#1000 Sun 21 Apr 13 11:23am

nessie18

Member since Sun 21 Apr 13

Hi Jamie, can you tell me which is the best pan to cook a roast in?  smile

Likes (0)