forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1021 Thu 09 May 13 11:03pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Welcome No Copha. I'm Australian. "White Christmas" (*only* at Christmas) was an occasional treat as were Chocolate Crackles (birthday parties) for me growing up (Australian).

Both rely on Copha. I'm "afraid" my kids (now in their 20s) "missed out" on them for the same reason as you give (at least at home). No, sorry, can't think (and couldn't) of a healthier alternative.

Where do you get "mixes"?

Wine~O, for Copha think Crisco or another solid white veg fat  puke. For white Christmas think Rice Crispies, coconut and "what have you" held together with white fat. For chocolate crackles think "cocoa" dusted Rice Crispies with the above   puke

Last edited by Maree (Fri 10 May 13 12:16am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#1022 Sat 11 May 13 11:16am

Yorkshire baker

Member since Sat 11 May 13

Hi,
I have built a large outdoor oven two years ago and have used it to cook mainly pizzas, which have been great. However, I am wanting to have a party for about 80 friends and cook a hog roast. I have looked for information on how to cook a large pork joint, but not found anything.
Has anyone got any helpful tips on temperature for cooking pork in an outdoor bread oven? And whether to cook it with the door closed, or without the embers or with? And the big question, how to get great crackling?
Thanks
Graeme

Likes (0)

#1023 Sat 11 May 13 7:14pm

janelle5115

Member since Sat 11 May 13

Hi, I'm not sure if this question has been asked before. I am Australian but live in the United States I know that when I moved here I had to convert measurements to cook my Aussie recipes, do I have to do the same for yours?
I have just visited home (Australia) and my two girls love your 30 min meal videos, have your books and now have me hooked, love your recipes!!

Likes (0)

#1024 Sat 11 May 13 8:25pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

wine~o wrote:

Welcome NoCopha...haven't got a clue what "Copha" is..never seen it in the UK

Also never heard of "White christmas mix"

If you can tell us what white christmas mix is/is for and what ingredients it contains...somebody might be able to help....

http://www.food.com/recipe/white-christ … ies-490333

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/desse … ookie.html
and
this one has Copha and goes on to add ,,,,'a shortening made with coconut oil -- DO NOT use Crisco: shortening in the US/Canada is not an appropriate substitute for Copha'

http://www.christmas-cookies.com/recipe … stmas.html

Likes (0)

#1025 Sat 11 May 13 11:20pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

janelle5115 wrote:

Hi, I'm not sure if this question has been asked before. I am Australian but live in the United States I know that when I moved here I had to convert measurements to cook my Aussie recipes, do I have to do the same for yours?
I have just visited home (Australia) and my two girls love your 30 min meal videos, have your books and now have me hooked, love your recipes!!

Hi Janelle wave ... It depends on which version of the book(s) you've got (quantities in metric will be familiar but versions for the US market may be in Imperial and will require converting).

Welcome to the forums.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#1026 Sun 12 May 13 3:40pm

karenlesley

Occupation Retired
From Blandford Forum, Dorset
Member since Sun 26 Sep 10

Wino, for the "White Christmas" mix how about getting the solid ingredients - rice crispies, coconut etc. and mixing them with melted marshmallow (as in the 'crispy cereal treats' that the bakers on the american cake programmes use.
Karen smile

Last edited by karenlesley (Sun 12 May 13 3:41pm)

Likes (0)

#1027 Sun 12 May 13 5:04pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

englishgraz7 wrote:

Hi Jamie Oliver community,
I'm from Austria and I'm new here and I am astonished what's going on in Jamie Oliver's life - incredible. I wonder how he has or has not changed the stereotype of bad / unhealthy British food.

Let me know what you think about it.

It is nothing extreme - it should be the NORMAL direction for peoples´ food to head. Local, fresh, home-cooked and sustainable. we cannot continue as we have for the past few decades.
all people in the world have to become more aware of where their food comes from, how much processing it sees and how far it has to travel to get to you. the more we use natural, unprocessed, un-packaged food, that comes from 50 km radius, the better. That means having to learn to cook from scratch, knowing what to do with produce, learning about seasonal food and making healthy food the fun option.

now if there was more of environment friendly, clever biological packaging , we´d be half way to home base.

Likes (0)

#1028 Tue 14 May 13 7:57am

toscanarestaura

Member since Tue 14 May 13

Hi, James
This is DEIRDRE BYTYQI owner of Toscana restaurant Ireland, We have recently stumble upon your site and have found you have covered wide range of recipes. We are proud to say that we believe in farm to table concept and we are happily serving our customers over a decade and all our recipes and food menus are prepared with our own growing at wick-low farm house.

We are very much enthusiastic in covering our farm- to- table concept on your reputed platform
we have got near about near about 55 picture of our farm house growing as well as food prepared.
Let me know your response whether you will cover this concept or recipes or both.
Looking forward for your response.
Thanks
DEIRDRE BYTYQI

Likes (0)

#1029 Wed 15 May 13 1:06pm

suzieg11

Member since Wed 15 May 13

hi there can you use single cream and creme fraiche together when making a curry

Likes (0)

#1030 Wed 15 May 13 6:33pm

MRandall

Member since Wed 15 May 13

Hi Jamie,

I have a question regarding beef. I sometimes experience a taste of liver in meat which I dislike very much. While living in Australia I found it a lot, and now in Europe I find it from time to time.

I have not been able to identify a a specific cut (last time it was in top blade) that would have the taste or be free from it. I usually spend a bit extra cash on good meat, but no butcher has been able to tell me if it is the meat, or my cooking that causes the flavour. I haven't been able to identify a cooking method that causes it either.

Are you familiar with this, and could you explain where this taste comes from so that I can avoid it?

Thanks
Markus

Likes (0)