Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1091 Tue 18 Jun 13 12:01pm

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi Wine~0! Hope all is well over your way?!...Just a thought here - maybe, EvaFrentz, could contact you via your "high-lighted e-mail button" - which would be a safer option! wink Cheers! smile  ... p.s. hope your dinner-party is lots of fun this weekend, Eva!  thumbsup


Merry Christmas to you ALL! :-)
    Likes (0)

#1092 Tue 18 Jun 13 12:05pm

louisesamantha

Member
Member since Mon 17 Jun 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Thank you Wine-O I wasn't sure if it was a recipe that could be halved because of the nature of the rising etc....will do that next time smile

    Likes (0)

#1093 Tue 18 Jun 13 6:06pm

cherrylips100

Member
Member since Tue 18 Jun 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi there, looking for very simple but impressive Sunday lunch ideas catering for 8 adults and 8 children... I live in Scotland :-) Thank you :-)    help

Last edited by cherrylips100 (Tue 18 Jun 13 6:07pm)

    Likes (0)

#1094 Tue 18 Jun 13 6:08pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

wine~o wrote:

EvaFrentz wrote:

Hi Jamie!

I`m having 10-15 people for dinner this weekend (Its Midsummer here in Sweden). And I`m having a Jerk Ham, I have found a recipie, but I cant find fresh bayleaves, can I use dryed in stead? I saw you cook it on TV here in Sweden, some time ago, have tried to find the episode on the Internet, but I have not found it. Would like to see it again. But I found Jrk Ham Hog and its not the same.
Lots of Love, Eva in sweden!!!

You can use dried, but the flavour isn't quite the same...

How many bay leaves do you need ?

Post your address and i'll send you some...(You might want to delete your address once I've confirmed i've noted it...)

The flavour isn't quite the same if you use dried bay leaves its not quite so strong so you could just add more .

    Likes (0)

#1095 Tue 18 Jun 13 6:09pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

cherrylips100 wrote:

Hi there, looking for very simple but impressive Sunday lunch ideas catering for 8 adults and 8 children... I live in Scotland :-) Thank you :-)    help

Welcome to the forum cherrylips100 smile

Lunch for 16 is quite a lot of cooking , if your not used to it so its an idea to keep things fairly simple but tasty .
Deserts could be cold things eg pavlova as this can mostly be prepared before hand.

What sort of things do you enjoy eating for a Sunday lunch ?

    Likes (0)

#1096 Tue 18 Jun 13 6:22pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Kiwi Kris wrote:

Hi Wine~0! Hope all is well over your way?!...Just a thought here - maybe, EvaFrentz, could contact you via your "high-lighted e-mail button" - which would be a safer option! wink :

Good point, well made.... lol

    Likes (0)

#1097 Tue 18 Jun 13 6:28pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Ask me a cooking question

mummza wrote:

The flavour isn't quite the same if you use dried bay leaves its not quite so strong so you could just add more .

IMHO the difference in flavour is not compensated for by using more dried bay, the flavour is actually different, the oils in fresh Bay give a different aroma to dried....

If you think I'm barking up the wrong (Bay) tree........try cutting a dried leaf in half, rub it between your palms and smell......


Then try the same with a fresh leaf.....

    Likes (0)

#1098 Wed 19 Jun 13 8:56am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

wine~o wrote:

mummza wrote:

The flavour isn't quite the same if you use dried bay leaves its not quite so strong so you could just add more .

IMHO the difference in flavour is not compensated for by using more dried bay, the flavour is actually different, the oils in fresh Bay give a different aroma to dried....

If you think I'm barking up the wrong (Bay) tree........try cutting a dried leaf in half, rub it between your palms and smell......


Then try the same with a fresh leaf.....

I know its not exactly the same flavour wine-o , no dried herb tastes exactly the same as the fresh herb.
Bayleaves loose a lot of flavour as they dry as do all herbs.
But by using more dry leaves you get more flavour.

I have bought bay leaves back from my friends house in the south of France ,my friend was having a Hume cut back of the bay tree and I didn't want all the leaves wasted so I fought some back.
By the time we'd reached the UK the leaves that I bought back had mostly dried , I was surprised as they hadn't been cut long.
I presume this is why mostly they are bought from shops in dried form.

Last edited by mummza (Wed 19 Jun 13 3:28pm)

    Likes (0)

#1099 Wed 19 Jun 13 12:56pm

danielsydney

Member
Member since Sun 10 Jun 07

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi from Australia,

When I cook meat there is always a scum that seems to form around the meat during the cooking process.

Tonight I cooked pork chops and there was a white rubbery scum around the outside of it. What is it? roll

Last edited by danielsydney (Wed 19 Jun 13 12:57pm)

    Likes (0)

#1100 Wed 19 Jun 13 3:27pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Welcome to the forum danielsydney smile

I think it's the blood that has leaked out of the meat .
Do you buy your meat from a butcher or a supermarket ?
Do you buy frozen meat of fresh meat and freeze it ?

    Likes (0)

Powered by PunBB.