mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Ask me a cooking question

wine~o wrote:

mummza wrote:

The flavour isn't quite the same if you use dried bay leaves its not quite so strong so you could just add more .

IMHO the difference in flavour is not compensated for by using more dried bay, the flavour is actually different, the oils in fresh Bay give a different aroma to dried....

If you think I'm barking up the wrong (Bay) tree........try cutting a dried leaf in half, rub it between your palms and smell......

Then try the same with a fresh leaf.....

I know its not exactly the same flavour wine-o , no dried herb tastes exactly the same as the fresh herb.
Bayleaves loose a lot of flavour as they dry as do all herbs.
But by using more dry leaves you get more flavour.

I have bought bay leaves back from my friends house in the south of France ,my friend was having a Hume cut back of the bay tree and I didn't want all the leaves wasted so I fought some back.
By the time we'd reached the UK the leaves that I bought back had mostly dried , I was surprised as they hadn't been cut long.
I presume this is why mostly they are bought from shops in dried form.

Last edited by mummza (Wed 19 Jun 13 3:28pm)

Likes (0)

#1112 Wed 19 Jun 13 12:56pm

danielsydney

Member since Sun 10 Jun 07

Hi from Australia,

When I cook meat there is always a scum that seems to form around the meat during the cooking process.

Tonight I cooked pork chops and there was a white rubbery scum around the outside of it. What is it? roll

Last edited by danielsydney (Wed 19 Jun 13 12:57pm)

Likes (0)

#1113 Wed 19 Jun 13 3:27pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Welcome to the forum danielsydney smile

I think it's the blood that has leaked out of the meat .
Do you buy your meat from a butcher or a supermarket ?
Do you buy frozen meat of fresh meat and freeze it ?

Likes (0)

#1114 Wed 19 Jun 13 6:20pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

danielsydney wrote:

Hi from Australia,

When I cook meat there is always a scum that seems to form around the meat during the cooking process.

Tonight I cooked pork chops and there was a white rubbery scum around the outside of it. What is it? roll

Sounds to me like cheap supermarket meat, may have injected with a water/protien/gelatine mix...

Likes (0)

#1115 Thu 20 Jun 13 6:54pm

vale.olguin.58

Member since Thu 20 Jun 13

Hi Jamie! I'd like to get the recipe of what I've seen you cooked on your programme today: chicken with vegetables and gratiné potatoes. It looked like so tasty... Nice of you if you can publish it for me. Thanks and best regards!

Likes (0)

#1116 Thu 20 Jun 13 7:37pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

vale.olguin.58 wrote:

Hi Jamie! I'd like to get the recipe of what I've seen you cooked on your programme today: chicken with vegetables and gratiné potatoes. It looked like so tasty... Nice of you if you can publish it for me. Thanks and best regards!

You do realise that Jamie doesn't ever pop his head in here any more?????

Best ask in the relevant forum...useful info would be what country, what channel, and if you can...name the programme.. (15mm, 30mm etc....)

Likes (0)

#1117 Sat 22 Jun 13 3:24pm

Elfje.jk

Member since Sat 22 Jun 13

Hi everyone,

I'm from the Netherlands so my Englisch is not that good :-)

But I have A Quiestion,
I just purchased  a Jamie Oliver Pizza Stone.
We put it in the oven for the first time just like the description.
Today we want too bake A Pizza on it for the first time in the BBQ (Weber dome)

I would love too see A Film of Jame using the pizza Stone he sels..
Were can I find that?

And if ther is no film, do you have anny triks and tips?

Greetings,
Jessica

Likes (0)

#1118 Sun 23 Jun 13 8:45am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Welcome to the forum Elfje.jk smile

I have not seen a film of Mr Oliver using the pizza stone .
I have some pizza stones , I usually leave them in my oven as I use them quite a lot , not always for pizza but for baking things on.

You have to allow the pizza stone to get hot for a while before you use it .( it takes quite a while to get really hot , which is what you need )
When I cook pizza for the first time on a pizza stone I have noticed that jut sometimes a little patch might stick , don't worry about this as the more the pizza stone is used the more it 'seasons' . It will also darken thee more times it is used .

Likes (0)

#1119 Tue 25 Jun 13 10:20am

gloomyEd

Member since Tue 25 Jun 13

Hi everyone my name is Eddy and i'm from Armenia : )))
sorry if my english is poor : ))
i want to ask a question about Empire roast chicken.
Jamie said that if you put a really hot stabbed lemon in chicken , it will speed up cooking!
and when me and my girlfriend tried that recipe i'm not sure why but chicken wasn't cooked properly   sad 
after that my girlfriend told about it to her friend Chef and he said something like " lemon can't speed up cooking, no way !! if you want to speed up cooking you can use some kind of cooking stone or hot potato but not lemon. it's simple physics" i can't tell you the exact words but this is the general meaning of his words. so after that i had an argument with my girlfriend about whether Jamie was wrong or right.....  and now i really need an answer  sad

plz help me Jamie  help

Likes (0)

#1120 Tue 25 Jun 13 1:10pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

gloomyEd, he does indeed state that:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chic … t-potatoes

In this case, he added a hot lemon he'd used to cook potatoes with and because it was hot going in to the chicken, it may indeed have speeded up the cooking just a tiny bit because it started out hot and steaming, rather than cool which is how you'd normally add a lemon to the cavity of a chicken.

Likes (0)