Subscribe to forums RSS

#1161 Sat 31 Aug 13 10:40am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Hi rstannard and welcome to the forums.

Depends ... If glass or ceramic I wouldn't risk it, personally smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#1162 Thu 05 Sep 13 4:55pm

weston800

Member since Thu 05 Sep 13

So I'm making Jamie's lamb rogan josh for the first time and what I want to know is if I make it now and freeze it, will it still taste as good when I come to use it next week? I have guests coming over but don't want to spend all day cooking on the day - I'd rather cook it all now and defrost it.

I am also making a chicken and potato curry and would like to make and freeze that too.

Any comments are greatly appreciated smile

Emma

Likes (0)

#1163 Fri 06 Sep 13 8:56pm

nataliepriceuk1

Member since Fri 06 Sep 13

Hi Jamie

I have a giant marrow (1ft) a man from work has grown.  Any receipe ideas?

thanks

Natalie Marshall

Likes (0)

#1164 Fri 06 Sep 13 9:31pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

rstannard wrote:

Can i use any oven dish on the stove top or do i need to buy one that can be used for both??

welcome to the forum rstannard smile

I agree with Maree, its not worth the risk.
Oven proof dishes are just that for oven use.
Some but not all are freezer proof as well.

I have a terracotta tagne that is designed  to be used on the stove top as it was designed for that sort of use but it can only be used with a heat diffuser underneath it . I learned this the hard way and with my original Tagine I didnt use one so on the first use it cracked dramatically ,luckily  I managed to buy a replacement dish for the top cone shaped lid of the tagine and made sure I only ever used it with a heat diffuser underneath it after that.

Likes (0)

#1165 Fri 06 Sep 13 9:40pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

miriamh wrote:

Dear Jamie,

Here is my question. I am miriam van Houten, from the Netherlands, and a big fan of course.
My husband has suffered from a heart attack last week and he is only 38 years old.  We are now looking for healthy foods, which are safe for him to eat. Can you help us with healthy recipes with low fat etc?

many thanks, miriam

Welcome to the forum miriamh smile

Goodness how scary for your husband and also for you  .

I am sure the hodpital dietetion will be able to advise you on the very best diet to use in the first instance and I would say that its imortant that you stick to the diet given to you by the hospital to start with.

in the UK the British Heart Foundation has various booklets and advice on diet that is worth reading .( this information might also be on their website, but  have nt checked this out ).

What sort of things do you usually eat ?
Are there any particular likes and dislikes ?
It would be easier to suggest some recipes once forum members know.

Last edited by mummza (Fri 06 Sep 13 9:42pm)

Likes (0)

#1166 Fri 06 Sep 13 9:50pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

weston800 wrote:

So I'm making Jamie's lamb rogan josh for the first time and what I want to know is if I make it now and freeze it, will it still taste as good when I come to use it next week? I have guests coming over but don't want to spend all day cooking on the day - I'd rather cook it all now and defrost it.

I am also making a chicken and potato curry and would like to make and freeze that too.

Emma

welcome to the forum weston800 smile

I am not sure if it can be frzen but if you have a slow cooker I am sure you can set it to cook in that earlier in the day or even cook it the day before and put it into the fridge over night .

I have never found freezing potato very sucessfull so I would not freeze the chicken and potato curry.

Likes (0)

#1167 Fri 06 Sep 13 9:56pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Penny1968 wrote:

My son always goes on about hating pasta, can you help me? I want to make a yummy pasta, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME! 

Any great recipes??????

One of my daughters disliked pasta for many years , she did not like tomato based sauces either .
If I wa making a meat ragu ( sauce) to go with pasta I wuld pop a baked potato into the microwave (  for speed ) ad she would have the sauce with the potato. But often if it was a meat based sauce I had cooked it in the oven so I Oven baked the potato.
Childen as well as adults have their own particular likes and dislikes and their tastes change as they grow.
My daughter now eats pasta , shes still not keen on tomato based sauces but pasta she does eat .

will your son eat pasta of it is in a lasagne ?

Likes (0)

#1168 Fri 06 Sep 13 10:01pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Daphnekasgr wrote:

Hello Jamie!
I am a food lover from Greece and i really enjoy your cooking and your attitude in the kitchen.
On thing in particular that i love is the presentation of your dishes in all these lovely wooden boards etc..
My question for you may seem a little stupid, but since the manufacturers suggest that wooden boards should not get under running water, i was wondering how you clean them? Do you have a secret for cleaning them or some natural way for bacterial protection?..
Thank you very much and i'm looking forward for your new book and show!

welcome to he forum Daphnekasgr smile
I  rinse my boards under running water but I do not soak them in water.
I then put them on their side to drain and dry.

Likes (0)

#1169 Sat 07 Sep 13 6:41pm

Martinejones

Member since Sat 07 Sep 13

I would like to do the mothership beef but can only get silverside.  Will that be ok?

Likes (0)

#1170 Sat 07 Sep 13 8:53pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

mummza wrote:

weston800 wrote:

Emma

welcome to the forum weston800 smile

I am not sure if it can be frzen but if you have a slow cooker I am sure you can set it to cook in that earlier in the day or even cook it the day before and put it into the fridge over night .

I have never found freezing potato very sucessfull so I would not freeze the chicken and potato curry.

The rogan josh should freeze just fine.  The chicken and potato curry, if it is in a yogurt or cream-based sauce may separate or split (form clumps).

What issues have you had with freezing potatoes mummza?  Do they oxidize or get too mushy?  Just curious, because I have heard people say they had issues.  I've had success freezing baked and mashed potatoes . . . even twice-baked with a sour-cream sauce without it splitting.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 07 Sep 13 9:00pm)

Likes (0)