forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1201 Wed 02 Oct 13 5:35pm

Jamie's Food Team

Member since Mon 21 Jan 13

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Liz McHugh wrote:

DebDiMaggio wrote:

I can't get things crispy when I roast them, like chicken, or potatoes. I think it's because my oven is electric, but even when I use the old, heating up the fat in the oven and then putting the spuds in- trick I can't seem to get them to go crispy. My friends suggested I cheat and do roast spuds in the deep fryer but it's not the healthiest option. Everything I roast ends up looking poached.

hmm

Hello, I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles with your oven. I would suggest that you get an oven thermometer to test that your oven is running at the right heat. It might also be worth contacting your oven manufacturer to see if they can suggest anything to improve the function of your oven. Thanks

Likes (0)

#1202 Wed 02 Oct 13 11:51pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

kiri260180 wrote:

Hi Jamie, Please Help!!
I have two boys and they are Autistic.  I love them to pieces every second of the day, but when it comes to meal times, they really do test me.
I am not a great cook and we do not have a lot of money, but I have tried my best to cater for their needs, but I am pretty much down to two meals which they alternate on every other day which is Pizza and Sausage & Toast. 

I feel completely inadequate as a mother because I feel that I am failing miserably with the fight to get them to eat a decent meal and it is extremely worrying thinking they might not be getting the essential nutrients that they need.  I don't know if you are able to help with menu ideas, but I know that there are a lot of other mothers who are in the same position as me, with Autistic children who are pulling their hair out same as me.  So welcome to the forum if you could offer any guidance it would be very much appreciated. help

welcome to the forum kiri260180 smile

First of all please dont feel inadequate as a mother as I am sure from what you have written that you are far from that
thumbsup
You have 2 very special sons who have a particular set of needs . I know that all chiildren who are autistic react differently to all manner of things and food  often seems to be an issue
For some its the texture, for others it might be the strength of flavour and for others it might simply be down to the colour of the food .
This might seem strange to some people but to many who have the peivalidge to know these very special children will recognise some of  these issues.

What sort of things do the boys drink ?
Will they drink things like milk or fruit juices ?
How old are the boys ?

Im not going to suggest to you that you put a little vegetable  on top of their pizza's as I am well aware that the extra vegetables
are likely to be removed and the pizza topping put back to how it usually is , or worse , the pizza would be ignored !

Are there any different foods that they will tolorate if , for example ,they go to granny;s house ?

You might gradually be able to introduce a third meal like this . and eventually end up with a rotation of 3 days of different meals.

Now I know what they are eating at the moment is not ideal , but they are eating which can only be a good thing.

I shadowed a boy with similar problems at a school once and for lunch every day he has a peanut butter sandwich on the same type and make of bread , he  had a packet of crisps that he would open carefully in the same manner making sure the bag was almost blown up so that he could slide his hand into the bag without touching the side of the bag ...hes an adult now  a very tall adult and hes doing fine ,  I am sure he will probably still be eating peanut butter sandwiches and crisps at lunch time in the same manner as he has always done.

so try not to worry too much , the boys will 'get there in the end' 

big_smile

Likes (0)

#1203 Sun 06 Oct 13 2:44pm

Violety

Member since Sun 06 Oct 13

Hi Jamie i was just wondering do you have any ideals what i could or maybe can cook for next sunday when i have my grandma coming round and would i need to put anything with it so that it looks nice Thanks Violet  help

Likes (0)

#1204 Sun 06 Oct 13 4:50pm

Kienmo

Member since Sun 06 Oct 13

Hello Jamie,

This summer we went to Londen and had a great lunch at your new restaurant in Covent Garden. one off the disshes we had was the garlic mushrooms. They were the best we had ever eat.
Now i bought the book with all the britisch recepies, offcourse in dutch. But unfortunatly there is now recipe off the best mushrooms ever.
Can you telle me where I can find it?
Would be really great.

THanks and greetings from the Netherlands smile

Likes (0)

#1205 Sun 06 Oct 13 10:56pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

mummza wrote:

kiri260180 wrote:

Hi Jamie, Please Help!!
I have two boys and they are Autistic.  I love them to pieces every second of the day, but when it comes to meal times, they really do test me.
I am not a great cook and we do not have a lot of money, but I have tried my best to cater for their needs, but I am pretty much down to two meals which they alternate on every other day which is Pizza and Sausage & Toast. 

I feel completely inadequate as a mother because I feel that I am failing miserably with the fight to get them to eat a decent meal and it is extremely worrying thinking they might not be getting the essential nutrients that they need.  I don't know if you are able to help with menu ideas, but I know that there are a lot of other mothers who are in the same position as me, with Autistic children who are pulling their hair out same as me.  So welcome to the forum if you could offer any guidance it would be very much appreciated. help

welcome to the forum kiri260180 smile

First of all please dont feel inadequate as a mother as I am sure from what you have written that you are far from that
thumbsup
You have 2 very special sons who have a particular set of needs . I know that all chiildren who are autistic react differently to all manner of things and food  often seems to be an issue
For some its the texture, for others it might be the strength of flavour and for others it might simply be down to the colour of the food .
This might seem strange to some people but to many who have the peivalidge to know these very special children will recognise some of  these issues.

What sort of things do the boys drink ?
Will they drink things like milk or fruit juices ?
How old are the boys ?

Im not going to suggest to you that you put a little vegetable  on top of their pizza's as I am well aware that the extra vegetables
are likely to be removed and the pizza topping put back to how it usually is , or worse , the pizza would be ignored !

Are there any different foods that they will tolorate if , for example ,they go to granny;s house ?

You might gradually be able to introduce a third meal like this . and eventually end up with a rotation of 3 days of different meals.

Now I know what they are eating at the moment is not ideal , but they are eating which can only be a good thing.

I shadowed a boy with similar problems at a school once and for lunch every day he has a peanut butter sandwich on the same type and make of bread , he  had a packet of crisps that he would open carefully in the same manner making sure the bag was almost blown up so that he could slide his hand into the bag without touching the side of the bag ...hes an adult now  a very tall adult and hes doing fine ,  I am sure he will probably still be eating peanut butter sandwiches and crisps at lunch time in the same manner as he has always done.

so try not to worry too much , the boys will 'get there in the end' 

big_smile

Kiri. Welcome.  My son was a nightmare to feed when young & this forum saved my sanity.  So much hep from such caring people.

I have posted it here in the recipe section but I make a tomato sauce that has a tonne of hidden veg - its blended & when my kids were little I made it while the were sleeping so they didn't know it was full of things they didn't like.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=32730

Likes (0)

#1206 Mon 07 Oct 13 1:38am

armadale358

From Queensland
Member since Mon 07 Oct 13

Morning
Am recovering from a total colectomy and have to be on a low fibre diet.  I am desperate for some help adapting your recipes to low fibre.  Th thought of having pureed/mashed food blaaagghhhh.   HELP
Suzanne

Likes (0)

#1207 Mon 07 Oct 13 1:50am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Did they refer you to a dietician? That might help more than we're able to. Meat and dairy are likely to be fine for you. It's working out what fruits and vegetables you can have. Eggs for breakfast?

Likes (0)

#1208 Thu 10 Oct 13 9:45pm

stefanopanella

Member since Thu 10 Oct 13

Have you never thought to open new restaurant in centre of Italy in front of the sea, in a sunny land rich in fresh ingredients as fish, meat, vegetables and cook tradition? I live in Paradise lost and i can introduce you all!

Likes (2)

#1209 Sun 13 Oct 13 2:02pm

acrdva

Member since Sun 13 Oct 13

Jamie I saw a recent 15 minute meals program where u prepared black bean burgers with asian noodles but cannot find the recipe or youtube link.  Can u help me locate the recipe?

Likes (0)

#1210 Sun 13 Oct 13 3:03pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Jamie's Food Team wrote:

Liz McHugh wrote:

DebDiMaggio wrote:

I can't get things crispy when I roast them, like chicken, or potatoes. I think it's because my oven is electric, but even when I use the old, heating up the fat in the oven and then putting the spuds in- trick I can't seem to get them to go crispy. My friends suggested I cheat and do roast spuds in the deep fryer but it's not the healthiest option. Everything I roast ends up looking poached.

hmm

Hello, I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles with your oven. I would suggest that you get an oven thermometer to test that your oven is running at the right heat. It might also be worth contacting your oven manufacturer to see if they can suggest anything to improve the function of your oven. Thanks

Can I butt in here, please?  You might as well call deep fried potatoes 'chips'.  Roast potatoes are traditionally roasted in meat fat in the oven.  Can I suggest that when you first put the potatoes in the roasting pan, to put them on a low heat on the hob and move them around whilst the roasting starts, finishing them off in the oven?

Likes (0)