forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1211 Mon 14 Oct 13 12:25pm

looneymum

Member since Mon 18 Oct 10

Re: Ask me a cooking question

can i use hard sheets of lasange in the Squash & Spinach Pasta Rotolo, as i am gluten free , if i can how do yous soften them to roll  out
or do you have a gluten free receipe for pasta

Likes (0)

#1212 Tue 22 Oct 13 1:48pm

sjholdsworth

Member since Tue 22 Oct 13

I have been watching your series Save with Jamie & bought the book, my question is:- If I am doing the recipes from your book do I need to reduce the cooking temperatures as I have a fan oven and if so by how many degrees?
Thanks
Jane

Likes (0)

#1213 Tue 22 Oct 13 2:54pm

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

Thistledo wrote:

Jamie's Food Team wrote:

Liz McHugh wrote:

Hello, I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles with your oven. I would suggest that you get an oven thermometer to test that your oven is running at the right heat. It might also be worth contacting your oven manufacturer to see if they can suggest anything to improve the function of your oven. Thanks

Can I butt in here, please?  You might as well call deep fried potatoes 'chips'.  Roast potatoes are traditionally roasted in meat fat in the oven.  Can I suggest that when you first put the potatoes in the roasting pan, to put them on a low heat on the hob and move them around whilst the roasting starts, finishing them off in the oven?

....also a butt-in, if I may.

I also have a "not very good" electric oven, like many people so you should make do with what you have.

Any oven....however bad it performs is good enough for crispy roast potatoes or crispy chicken etc.....you may just have to approach the roasting style a little different.

Try par boiling your spuds first by having a saucepan on the heat ready, then put in your potatoes and pour boiling water over them to cover. Boil for 10 minutes then drain the water off. Put the lid back on and shake them so they go slightly floury. Have a roasting pan already hot in the oven with goose or duck fat.....you can mix some vegetable oil with the fat if you want.....or just use veg oil, but never olive oil.....only enough(and a bit) to coat the potatoes. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes turning once or twice. (the roasting tin should be toward the top of your oven.

To get crispy skin on a roast chicken you must rub the skin with butter or oil etc. and put into a hot oven...perhaps 220c, then reduce the heat after 15 or 20 minutes to say 170c to cook the bird thoroughly. Baste a few times while cooking.

Terry

Likes (0)

#1214 Tue 22 Oct 13 7:42pm

momto4kids

Member since Tue 22 Oct 13

Hi,
My husband and I are volunteering in our children's breakfast program at school.  As you know, many of the kids don't get healthy food from home so what we make may be the only thing they eat with any substance.  Can you suggest a website or recipes that are fast, easy to make at school with limited resources, and appealing to kids that are healthy and may get the kids to try new things?  It has been a struggle to find things (other than smoothies and traditional breakfast items) that are quick, cost effective, healthy and appealing to kids.
Thanks,
Giannine Doyle
BC Canada

Likes (0)

#1215 Tue 22 Oct 13 10:23pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

welcome to the forum momto4kids  smile

why not smoothies ?
The school I used to help in had a weekly smoothie tuck shop , the smoothies were made from banana's apple juice and then things like strawberries if they were the right price and in season or other frozn fruits ( as they also chilled the mix )
but always banana and apple juice .

breakfast clubs here in the UK are often confined t toast and an unsweetened breakfast cereal with a drink.

What sort of thing gets given to the children at breakfast club where you live and what sort of budget do you have to work on per child

Likes (0)

#1216 Tue 22 Oct 13 11:34pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

sjholdsworth wrote:

I have been watching your series Save with Jamie & bought the book, my question is:- If I am doing the recipes from your book do I need to reduce the cooking temperatures as I have a fan oven and if so by how many degrees?
Thanks
Jane

By 20C, sjholdsworth smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#1217 Thu 24 Oct 13 9:59pm

bdarke

Member since Thu 24 Oct 13

I am seriously addicted to the Jamie Oliver Piri Piri Herb Crust. I live in the US, but bring back as much as I can find when I travel to the UK. Last time it was a measly 9 containers.

Is there any way to order cases of the stuff? Seriously.

Likes (2)

#1218 Fri 25 Oct 13 2:52pm

makhabbat

Occupation HSE
From Kazakhstan
Member since Fri 25 Oct 13

Howdy James!
   I dont have a questions! I just want to tell you that all Kazakhstan people loves you! We whatch our programs everyday! You so sweet and cool! God bless you! My family loves you especially when you smile:-)

Hope u'd have a good day!
xxxx

Last edited by makhabbat (Sat 26 Oct 13 7:15am)

Likes (0)

#1219 Mon 28 Oct 13 7:44pm

Teresa3681

Member since Wed 23 Oct 13

Hi Jamie

Any ideas how to cook pheasant? Last time I cooked it it was dry and we didnt like it.

We love cooking your recipes so your ideas will be appreciated

Thanks

Teresa

Likes (0)

#1220 Fri 01 Nov 13 5:24pm

MrsMoggy

Occupation Cook Manager
From England
Member since Fri 01 Nov 13

Hi, I made a bolognese sauce but it has turned out too herby, any ideas on how to fix this please?

Likes (0)