Subscribe to forums RSS

#1261 Wed 19 Feb 14 11:37am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Thistledo wrote:

How do you store spring onions in the fridge? 
A chef I knew years ago used to prep his and put them in a screwtop glass jar with the root ends in a tiny drop of water.  Can't remember whether it worked for me or not.

Whilst on storage;  I've found the best way to keep cucumber is to wrap in tin foil, carefully sealing it before storing in the fridge.  Lasts very well.

I often let spring onions sit in a vase on the bench top, but even more often I cut off the roots and bottom inch, plant that bit out side, wrap the tops loosely in a plastic bag and put in the vegetable crisper section of the fridge. And remember to use them in the next couple of days! The green tops are great in stock.

Next I can keep cutting the ones outside as they grow.

Likes (0)

#1262 Tue 25 Feb 14 12:03pm

Misia G.

Member since Tue 25 Feb 14

Hi there!

I would like to share with you my experience and feelings about Fifteen in London.
I went there recently and must say it was the best food experience in my life…

This forum is to ask Jamie a cooking question, right? So there is:

Could you please share the secret of one dish who created strong emotions when we all tasted it during our visit last sunday in Fifteen?
I don’t remember the exact title but I can describe it:

It was a wonderfully smooth puree which accompanied perfectly a smoky, sticky and « fondant » beef rib.
The puree reminds me a little bit Joel Robuchon’s one and the rib flavor is still on my palate.
I imagine you cannot give me the full recipe but the list of ingredients would be great.
I will try to re-create it by using all my cooking knowledge which I acquired by watching Jamie’s videos and reading his books. I guess the meat is slowly cooked in the oven for several hours and the puree contain a lot of butter and some milk…OMG! I become hungry just when thinking about it!!!

Let’s get back to my emotions regarding Fifteen.

We had the pleasure to have Carole as a waitress - A young and dynamic french woman. Smiling, charming and enjoying her work. I was there with two french guys and I speak french as well so we had great discussions with Carole.
I was observing the staff and I could see passionated people who are happy to be here even on a sunday evening. I had the feeling that even if Jamie is not always present in Fifteen (which is completely understandable), the crew represents him and we can feel like he is there.

When we were en route to Fifteen we were discussing about the fact maybe we will be disappointed?.. Jamie is not present in the kitchen, so he will not prepare the food.Of course, it’s his restaurant but he is certainly not often there. We were scared he cannot keep an eye on the good quality of cuisine and service.

We were wrong! It was 100% great. The food, the service and the atmosphere were fantastic!

I will not say I’m Jamie Oliver’s fan because it’s a strong word and I don’t like the idea of being fan of somebody, but he definitely contribute to my huge passion to cooking…. And eating by the way smile I’ve learned a lot from him and I feel a big respect to food thanks to him.

By demonstrating a great cuisine on TV, Jamie made a kind of promise. That means Fifteen’s (or other Jamie’s restaurants) customers have hight expectations when visiting them. - I can assure that the promise is kept. Well done!

After this visit, I’m more than inspired and motivated to cook and to make happy people with my cuisine.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Natalia

Likes (0)

#1263 Sat 01 Mar 14 6:15am

lmbathome

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member since Fri 21 Feb 14

Last year I watched a program on the tv where Jamie prepared a "deconstructed salad"  on a large wooden board. I think it was from his 15 minute meals series (?)  I think I remember it having lettuce, avocados, cherry tomatoes & cucumber? Then he added shrimp and (blackened chicken?). Jamie served it with a fresh flat type bread made in a pan, then ripped into pieces. He also had several dipping sauces too. I haven't been able to find this recipe in any of Jamie's recipes. Could you please help. I remember it looked truly amazing and I've wanted to make it ever since!
Thanks in advance.

Likes (0)

#1264 Mon 03 Mar 14 12:43pm

Sheila Cosgrove

Member since Mon 03 Mar 14

Is it OK to freeze cooked cauliflower and cheese sauce?

Likes (0)

#1265 Mon 03 Mar 14 2:40pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I would think so, although it might go watery when reheated.

Likes (0)

#1266 Fri 21 Mar 14 12:04am

RB65240

Member since Thu 20 Mar 14

I am trying your recipe for roasted whole salmon.  This is the first time I have tried one of your recipes.
What temperature did you have in mind for the term "full whack" or perhaps it was 'full wack'.

Ron
Red  Deer, Alberta
Canada

Likes (0)

#1267 Fri 21 Mar 14 12:08am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi RB65240, and welcome to the forums.

"Full whack" means up as high as it can go smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#1268 Sat 22 Mar 14 9:45am

LittleT

Member since Sat 22 Mar 14

Hey Jamie
My name is Danielle Trudgett, I love to cook, you are my biggest inspirations when it comes to cooking.
I’m in yr12 at Berwick Secondary Collage in Australia, I’m doing a food technology project and I have to base it round a theme and I was going to do a English theme.
Considering your English, I was wondering if you had any good ideas for dishes or advice on how to make and present the best English dish I could do.

Hope you can help

Danielle

big_smile  big_smile

Likes (0)

#1269 Sat 22 Mar 14 11:24pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi Danielle, Jamie is so busy he usually can't answer.There are some great British cooks here though, and they might help with your question.

I am from Melbourne, but have you looked at this?: http://www.sbs.com.au/foodsafari/cuisin … /n/English

Good luck with your project!

Likes (0)

#1270 Tue 25 Mar 14 10:41am

lmbathome

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member since Fri 21 Feb 14

I am from Melbourne, but have you looked at this?: http://www.sbs.com.au/foodsafari/cuisin … /n/English

Hey Joy Yam Daisy just wanted to say thanks for posting that web site . I just spent the past hour happily browsing through it & collecting recipes. I even watched a video about making a truly delicious ploughman's lunch-Yummy!  smile

Likes (0)