forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1291 Mon 05 May 14 8:07pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Welcome to the forums, Dellwood smile. It's called a "Flavour Shaker".

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#1292 Thu 08 May 14 10:14am

Abby M

Occupation Community Manager
From Jamie Oliver HQ
Member since Sat 15 Mar 14

More info and details on where you can purchase the Flavour Shaker here Dellwood...
http://www.jamieoliver.com/products/hom … our-shaker

Likes (0)

#1293 Thu 08 May 14 11:18am

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Morning Dellwood, I have had one for years and use it all the time - treat yourself

Gem

Likes (0)

#1294 Sat 10 May 14 10:47am

kitchen warrior

Member since Sun 26 Jan 14

Hi Jamie my name is Wayde Sorensen

how do I stop my lasagne from drying out and going hard on top and in the middle I put loads of meat sauce on top and in the middle but it still goes hard I set my over to about 180 to 200 as it not fan force or gas is there soming I am doing wrong please help me!!

all the best Kitchen Warrior

The Kitchen Warrior
    Likes (0)

#1295 Sat 10 May 14 11:13am

eleagnus

Member since Sat 10 May 14

I love watching TV cooking programmes, and admire Jamie Oliver for promoting healthy food. The puzzling thing for me is the lack of coverage for diabetic recipes, and look forward to the day when one brave TV chef addresses this condition.
My partner is Diabetic, as are thousands of others in the UK. For him sugar is poison, and also butters and fats could potentially cause problems.

However, my simple and probably dumb question is,  How can I make a little single cream float on top of a glass of coffee, when I can't add sugar ? - Is there a trick?

Most grateful thanks

Last edited by eleagnus (Sat 10 May 14 2:01pm)

Likes (2)

#1296 Sun 11 May 14 12:37am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

kitchen warrior wrote:

Hi Jamie my name is Wayde Sorensen

how do I stop my lasagne from drying out and going hard on top and in the middle I put loads of meat sauce on top and in the middle but it still goes hard I set my over to about 180 to 200 as it not fan force or gas is there soming I am doing wrong please help me!!

all the best Kitchen Warrior

Hi Kitchen Warrior. Jamie doesn't generally manage to answer questions, but others of us might be able to help. I presume you are using the dry, precooked pasta sheets? You might need to make your sauce a bit wetter so there is enough moisture for the pasta sheets to suck up and become soft.

Does your recipe have a cheese or cheese sauce topping? That is something else that could stop the top from drying out.

The other things to consider are that the pasta hasn't had time to soften because the oven is too slow (ie the temperature isn't correc - I have to have my oven up a bit higher to get the temperature right).  Or that you need to keep it in longer, so there is time for the pasta to soften.

Good luck! Once you get it right you will have it for the rest of your life!

Likes (0)

#1297 Sun 11 May 14 12:45am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

eleagnus wrote:

I love watching TV cooking programmes, and admire Jamie Oliver for promoting healthy food. The puzzling thing for me is the lack of coverage for diabetic recipes, and look forward to the day when one brave TV chef addresses this condition.
My partner is Diabetic, as are thousands of others in the UK. For him sugar is poison, and also butters and fats could potentially cause problems.

However, my simple and probably dumb question is,  How can I make a little single cream float on top of a glass of coffee, when I can't add sugar ? - Is there a trick?

Most grateful thanks

Hi Eleagnus,
Welcome here!

Do you have good info and resources for diabetic recipes? There have been other people asking about it on these forums. You might find these threads interesting: http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 70&p=1
and
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31928

I agree that it would be wonderful if there were more cooking shows covering diabetic recipes.

No idea about the cream on the coffee!

Likes (2)

#1298 Sun 11 May 14 1:18am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

eleagnus wrote:

... my simple and probably dumb question is,  How can I make a little single cream float on top of a glass of coffee, when I can't add sugar ? - Is there a trick?

Most grateful thanks

Welcome to the forums, eleagnus wave

I haven't floated cream on coffee for decades (it was usually Irish coffee at the end of one of those mammoth 70s dinner parties) but I used to pour the cream slowly over the rounded side of a teaspoon. Hope that makes sense (and that it helps)  crossed smile.

Last edited by Maree (Sun 11 May 14 1:19am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (3)

#1299 Sun 11 May 14 2:41pm

eleagnus

Hello Joy, thanks for the links, I will settle down and read them and maybe get some help.
There are some cookbooks for diabetics available here, but not too many, and the ideas are not always inspiring.
I was going back in time with the cream on the coffee, and have tried everything to achieve the 'float'. If I discover the secret I will share it with the world.
Thanks for your kindness.

Likes (0)

#1300 Sun 11 May 14 2:50pm

eleagnus

Hi Maree,
I have tried the spoon, and admit the whole idea is probably more nostalgic than necessary. (Sadly I'm a fan of the fondue also.)
There is a reaction of some kind between the cream and the sugar, which I should be able to figure out, however If I don't manage this trick I will not suffer too much. It's probably more of a curiosity, than a need.
Your response is appreciated, thanks.

Likes (0)