Subscribe to forums RSS

#1311 Sun 11 May 14 12:45am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Ask me a cooking question

eleagnus wrote:

I love watching TV cooking programmes, and admire Jamie Oliver for promoting healthy food. The puzzling thing for me is the lack of coverage for diabetic recipes, and look forward to the day when one brave TV chef addresses this condition.
My partner is Diabetic, as are thousands of others in the UK. For him sugar is poison, and also butters and fats could potentially cause problems.

However, my simple and probably dumb question is,  How can I make a little single cream float on top of a glass of coffee, when I can't add sugar ? - Is there a trick?

Most grateful thanks

Hi Eleagnus,
Welcome here!

Do you have good info and resources for diabetic recipes? There have been other people asking about it on these forums. You might find these threads interesting: http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 70&p=1
and
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31928

I agree that it would be wonderful if there were more cooking shows covering diabetic recipes.

No idea about the cream on the coffee!

Likes (2)

#1312 Sun 11 May 14 1:18am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

eleagnus wrote:

... my simple and probably dumb question is,  How can I make a little single cream float on top of a glass of coffee, when I can't add sugar ? - Is there a trick?

Most grateful thanks

Welcome to the forums, eleagnus wave

I haven't floated cream on coffee for decades (it was usually Irish coffee at the end of one of those mammoth 70s dinner parties) but I used to pour the cream slowly over the rounded side of a teaspoon. Hope that makes sense (and that it helps)  crossed smile.

Last edited by Maree (Sun 11 May 14 1:19am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (3)

#1313 Sun 11 May 14 2:41pm

eleagnus

Member since Sat 10 May 14

Hello Joy, thanks for the links, I will settle down and read them and maybe get some help.
There are some cookbooks for diabetics available here, but not too many, and the ideas are not always inspiring.
I was going back in time with the cream on the coffee, and have tried everything to achieve the 'float'. If I discover the secret I will share it with the world.
Thanks for your kindness.

Likes (0)

#1314 Sun 11 May 14 2:50pm

eleagnus

Member since Sat 10 May 14

Hi Maree,
I have tried the spoon, and admit the whole idea is probably more nostalgic than necessary. (Sadly I'm a fan of the fondue also.)
There is a reaction of some kind between the cream and the sugar, which I should be able to figure out, however If I don't manage this trick I will not suffer too much. It's probably more of a curiosity, than a need.
Your response is appreciated, thanks.

Likes (0)

#1315 Sun 11 May 14 2:59pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

You're welcome. I don't use sugar smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#1316 Mon 12 May 14 12:01am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

eleagnus wrote:

Hello Joy, thanks for the links, I will settle down and read them and maybe get some help.
There are some cookbooks for diabetics available here, but not too many, and the ideas are not always inspiring.
I was going back in time with the cream on the coffee, and have tried everything to achieve the 'float'. If I discover the secret I will share it with the world.
Thanks for your kindness.

Good luck with it!
I do know a lot of people can work out ways to adapt recipes to suit diabetes, but it is hard when you have to avoid the things that add such good taste and lusciousness.

Likes (0)

#1317 Tue 13 May 14 10:21am

Abby M

Occupation Community Manager
From Jamie Oliver HQ
Member since Sat 15 Mar 14

Hi Eleagnus. Because every case of diabetes is different and requires tailoring to the individual Jamie's nutrition team are unable to provide recipes that we can recommend across the board to all diabetics. Instead we offer advice on cooking with diabetes in our "special diet guidance" which is available here: http://jamieoliverprod.s3.amazonaws.com … idance.pdf

I hope that helps!

Likes (2)

#1318 Tue 13 May 14 11:18am

hurrypants

From Australia
Member since Tue 13 May 14

G'Day Jamie. I have decided that cleaning my oven, after cooking a roast, is for mugs. I am thinking about purchasing a stainless steel COVERED roaster. What is your opinion of these, and what hints do you have for cooking roasts (pork or lamb legs mostly) in them, along with roast vegetables? There seems to be as many negative comments online, as there are positive. Is this idea just a waste of money?
Regards
hurrypants
ps. Great website mate  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#1319 Mon 19 May 14 2:14pm

loullag

Member since Mon 19 May 14

Hi Jamie,

Any advise for two year old fussy eaters?  Do their taste buds change as they get older?  I'm told that at school my daughter eats very well but at home it is totally the opposite.

thanks,
Loulla Lote

Likes (0)

#1320 Tue 03 Jun 14 1:01pm

rebecca.baker.52090

Member since Tue 03 Jun 14

Hi JO,

I'm a long time watcher first time member & not much of a cook.  But u make it look simple & easy and I wanna give it a go.  I hope my food taste as good as yours looks.

This is my question, I am a vego, I only eat cheese if it has know rennet, and I only eat eyes if I can't see or smell them, know meat no seafood.
I see u cook and make a lot of veggie meals which is one reason why I enjoy your show also my partner is a meat lover.

Sorry my question, do u every cook or have veggie recipes that use veggie meat such as the product quorn?

Thanks again and thanks for helping a lot of kids out there, cheers to you.

Bbecca
Aust - brisbane, 'Go Qld, go for 9 in a row'

Likes (0)