forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#321 Thu 06 Sep 12 7:16pm

featherwink

Member since Thu 06 Sep 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

DebDiMaggio wrote:

I can't get things crispy when I roast them, like chicken, or potatoes. I think it's because my oven is electric, but even when I use the old, heating up the fat in the oven and then putting the spuds in- trick I can't seem to get them to go crispy. My friends suggested I cheat and do roast spuds in the deep fryer but it's not the healthiest option. Everything I roast ends up looking poached.

hmm

Putting butter under the skin of the chicken will make it nice and crispy, i rem watching jamie cooking roast potatoes afew yrs back and he puts the potatoes back in the pot after straining them and shakes them about, this makes them fluffy and crispy

good luck:) crossed

Likes (0)

#322 Thu 06 Sep 12 7:21pm

Burnsland

Hi Jamie,

Do you have favourite sweet/dessert recipe using basil?

Ps....the new resturant in york is fab

Suex smile

Likes (0)

#323 Thu 06 Sep 12 7:24pm

thecadet

Member since Tue 13 Oct 09

Hi Jamie, when travelling in Greece and Cyprus one of my favourite meals is stuffed squid. Any tips on what to use in the stuffing and cooking times. I'm not too fond of the feta cheese option and decent recipes are hard to come by.
cheers
Paul

Likes (0)

#324 Thu 06 Sep 12 7:56pm

innsbruck

last christmas I prepared your graved salmon - very good! I heard that it is also possible to prepare graved beef, but I cannot find a recipe - do you know one?

Likes (0)

#325 Fri 07 Sep 12 12:55am

reeso2005

Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Hi Jamie, my Hubby has just been diagnosed with Diabetes, and he is really missing his fruit cake, I always made this with soaked dried fruit but this is not allowed now, any suggestions? mind you any sort of cake would be welcome,  thanks

mary.

Likes (0)

#326 Fri 07 Sep 12 1:46am

hepajo3

Member since Fri 07 Sep 12

My partner has been diagnosed as Gluten Intolerant.  I love cooking from the 30 minute meal cook book  but I am having trouble exchanging for glutern Free alternaives in particular for filo pastry.  Any suggestions?

Likes (0)

#327 Fri 07 Sep 12 7:09am

MHope1

Member since Fri 07 Sep 12

Hi Jamie,
   Love cooking your recipes!! However, I have a dilemma. My boyfriend doesn't eat pork, but I adore many of your proscuitto based recipes. Do you have any suggestions how I can substitute pruscuitto or bacon for something as delicious? It seems like nothing can compare.
                            Sincerely and Hoping,  crossed
                                    Miriam

Likes (0)

#328 Fri 07 Sep 12 7:38am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Paul, I'm not Jamie (obviously). I'm "out" at the moment but when I get home, I'll post you some.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#329 Fri 07 Sep 12 8:37am

dhartley

Occupation Office Wallah
From Yorkshire / E Sussex
Member since Thu 15 Mar 12

featherwink wrote:

DebDiMaggio wrote:

I can't get things crispy when I roast them, like chicken, or potatoes. I think it's because my oven is electric, but even when I use the old, heating up the fat in the oven and then putting the spuds in- trick I can't seem to get them to go crispy. My friends suggested I cheat and do roast spuds in the deep fryer but it's not the healthiest option. Everything I roast ends up looking poached.

hmm

Putting butter under the skin of the chicken will make it nice and crispy, i rem watching jamie cooking roast potatoes afew yrs back and he puts the potatoes back in the pot after straining them and shakes them about, this makes them fluffy and crispy

good luck:) crossed

Chuffing up the parboiled potatoes in the pan before roasting works a treat. Then cook them on their own on the top shelf with plenty of fat or oil for a lot longer than you would expect, turning them regularly.

Likes (0)

#330 Fri 07 Sep 12 8:38am

Yascork

Member since Sat 13 Jan 07

Hi Jamie,
I like to make a seafood linguine that incorporates olive oil, chopped onion, garlic, white wine (reduced), cream (reduced), chopped parsley and fresh Lemon juice. I do worry that the lemon will curdle the cream. It doesn't appear to because the parsley makes it hard to see. My question is when is the best time to add Lemon juice to a hot sauce that contains cream?
Thanks in advance
Yasemin

Likes (0)