forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#331 Fri 07 Sep 12 10:12am

NewYorkcook

Occupation Medical Secretary
From Cambridge UK (& ex New Yorker)
Member since Sun 08 Jul 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Now is the season for autumn squashes.  I think we need to see more spaghetti squash in the stores and cooking programmes showing people how to prepare these wonderful vegetables.  A few years ago the butternut squash was not known and now it is absolutely everywhere.  I think you have a recipe for stuffed spaghetti squash Jamie but certainly this lovely and nutritious squash needs more exposure on TV.  You can use the spaghetti-like strands as a low carb substitute for real spaghetti so those on diets will find this amazing.  I usually serve it up with peppers, onions, garlic and chopped tomatoes all cooked quickly in a pan and tipped over the spaghetti strands.  Do you think you will be covering more squashes on your TV programmes in future?  Harlequin squashes are another lovely variety.  I do fear that the Butternut Squash rules the world right now - but we should be buying other lovely squashes, however I think people  are just not sure how to prepare them.  Exposure please!!!   smile

Likes (0)

#332 Fri 07 Sep 12 10:23am

NewYorkcook

Occupation Medical Secretary
From Cambridge UK (& ex New Yorker)
Member since Sun 08 Jul 12

MikeInTX wrote:

What's your favorite way to cook eggplant? I've only had it done up as eggplant parmigiana, and it's almost alwys ended up (I asume) somewhat overcooked and slimey.

Thanks!

Hi - not Jamie of course but thought you could try making eggplant rollatini or Pasta Norma which has roasted eggplant in it.  For the rollatini you could watch cook Laura Vitale make a healthier version which is delicious.  Go to www.laurainthekitchen.com and see how she makes this.  There are recipes for the Pasta Norma online if you google them.  You could also try making Ratatouille, or stuffed eggplant, for which there are numerous recipes.

Likes (0)

#333 Fri 07 Sep 12 10:57am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Paul,

My personal favourite uses feta and spinach with pine nuts but since you don't want to go down that route, I'll omit it.

Here's one I've tweaked from the fabulous Antonio Carluccio and the equally fabulous Gennaro Contaldo (one of Jamie's mentors) from their book "Two Greedy Italians".

It is meant to serve four. I'll only give the stuffing and the times as that seems to be what you want.

4 large (800g cleaned weight) squid. ***Reserve tentacles. (look at the cleaned weight more than the number of squid. Obviously, you don't want itsy bitsy squid as there will be nothing left once they've been cleaned and you'll have a nightmare trying to stuff them, if you can at all.

Stuffing:
Around 60g fresh breadcrumbs
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tabs pine nuts
About 50g Parmesan, freshly grated
2 eggs, beaten
2 tabs flat leaf parsley, chopped.
Olive oil.

Method:

Heat a grill pan, heavy fry pan or the BBQ.

Chop tentacles.

Mix all stuffing ingredients, including tentacles, together and season with salt and pepper.

Divide between the squid tubes but leave space at the top because the breadcrumbs will soak up the egg etc and expand.

Secure with a wooden cocktail stick/tooth pick.

Brush lightly with olive oil.

Place in heated pan and cook until done. I prefer a grill pan or grill plate depending upon the size/amount. I cook for about 3 mins per side until you have grill marks and the stuffing is cooked through. It depends very much on the size of the squid (and the amount of stuffing in same).

NB: Antonio and Gennaro cook theirs in a garlicky, anchovy, chunky passata with oregano.

I'm not a huge fan of this type of sauce.

But, in case you are, they cook the squid gently for 10-12 mins. They add the sauce to cover the squid and cook gently for a further 20 mins uncovered.

-----------------
This is a stuffing that I've used for years for baked snapper. It could be adapted to taste for squid.

Fresh breadcrumbs

Chopped raw/green prawns

Melted butter (enough to bind)

S and P (I also use freshly ground nutmeg. Up to you).

(For snapper, I use fresh dill. But squid could probably take something a bit stronger. Up to you but be careful not to over-power the delicate-ness of the prawns).

Lemon juice

Finely zested lemon zest.

For texture you could also add pine nuts or slivered almonds if you wish.

Cook as above.

Personally, I think this stuffing is too delicate for a gutsy tomato based sauce but them I'm biased as I'm not a huge fan of them. I'd do a lemon and butter (or olive oil) "sauce".

Hope this is of some help.

Good luck. crossed

Last edited by Maree (Fri 07 Sep 12 11:37am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#334 Fri 07 Sep 12 11:31am

Glen10

Member since Thu 06 Sep 12

Glen10 wrote:

Hi Jamie,

I make a pretty good sourdough bread but would like to be able to bake a loaf in the morning without staying awake all night with the repeated rising process required.

Any suggested method? Putting it in the oven by 9am would be great.

Hope you can help.

Cheers

Glen

Does anyone else have any suggestions to achieve a loaf of sourdough bread in the morning? Please?

Likes (0)

#335 Fri 07 Sep 12 11:43am

Maree

Forum super champ

Glen, I use a bread maker with a timer attached. I only use the dough cycle and remove, shape and bake in the oven. Easily achievable by 9am if you wish.

Check out the Leftovers Forum. There's a wealth of info there. Try the Diary of a Sourdough Loaf thread as a starter. There are several threads re sourdough on Leftovers.

Hope this is of some help.

Likes (0)

#336 Fri 07 Sep 12 12:14pm

Glen10

Member since Thu 06 Sep 12

Thank you so much. I will check that out.

Likes (0)

#337 Fri 07 Sep 12 12:16pm

andytrek007

Occupation mechanical and electrical manager
From hertfordshire
Member since Thu 28 May 09

Jamie firstly congrats on the feastavile it was a great weekend
I do have a question and a grip your saturday book signing was very short I was 38 in the que and had been in it for over an hour and was told you were doing no more signings I am upset enough as I am only in the uk untill the 28th of sept I leave for Canada and really only went to feastavile to meet you but worse than that were 3 Ozzie girls that had bought a day VIP ticket and they were in front Jamie you were on THIER bucket list and we showed this to a security guard who would not even ask you I'm 42 I'll get over it although I was annoyed but the three girls will never visit the uk again they were left in tears and then told they could not get a refund on your book they bought
Please advertise next year your intention and time as to not upset fans
I've tried to meet you 3times this year and ave Ben a fan since your acne days
I am gutted I didn't get to meet you and have my book signed but had a great chat with valantine and met genaro so it perked me up

Your a mega star Jamie but please my man try to get your organisers to be more frank next year

Sadly I'll be in Canada and won't be able to VIP campervan it next year
Or get to shake your hand

Good luck with all your charity work it's very important but then so are your fans my man

Kind regards

Andy hall
whistle

Likes (0)

#338 Fri 07 Sep 12 2:27pm

Bettsie_Darling

From Hampshire
Member since Tue 27 Mar 12

Good afternoon Jamie

I love your shows and cookbooks and your passion for food.
Here comes the but....
I'm vegan and I would love it for you to make a few dishes or a series for vegan maybe vegetarian but mostly vegan. Or just some ideas on here (nothing Oriental/Japanese I've mastered that)

Pretty please

Bettsie

Likes (0)

#339 Sat 08 Sep 12 11:03am

Maree

Forum super champ

Glen, the organisation of the forums/fora has changed since the bread threads were *really* active. So the bread threads may not be on Leftovers anymore. Maybe on Wine, Food and Dining.

The "search" function may help you.

I know that the breadmachine with a timer is not ideal but, like you, I searched for ways to have bread on the table at a reasonable time without the waiting around to knead, knock back etc.

I need to sleep!

I've only ever used the "bake" function once on the many bread machines I've used over the past 15 years. Wasn't happy with the results and don't like my bread to have a hole in the base.

If you have/ intend to buy a bread machine, you'll find that the dough cycle varies between about 90-100 mins. That covers the mixing, kneading, knocking back and proofing cycles.

If you place your ingredients in the machine in the order that the machine recommends and set your timer to turn the machine on at a time that syncs with when you want to pre-heat the oven, shape and bake, it sort of works.

The advantage/disadvantage (depending on your preference) is that the dough will increase in tangyness from the "sitting around waiting to start" part.

Good luck and all the best crossed

Likes (0)

#340 Sat 08 Sep 12 8:38pm

gcarroll

Member since Wed 01 Feb 12

I love your Tomato Soup! This year I have an abundance of tomatoes in my garden.  So, I have made loads of salsa, and canned lots of tomatoes.  Still... there are more.  So I was thinking it would be perfect to have ready made tomato soup in jars.  The kids could grab the right sized one for school, or larger jars would be handy for dinner.  Naturally I would want to use only fresh tomatoes (the recipe calls for some canned).  What would I need to do to the recipe to allow this? Any extra seasonings?   I would then process it like I would salsa.  I would love to know what to do.   help

Cora

Likes (0)