Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#521 Tue 27 Nov 12 12:11am

CoastalKid

Member since Mon 26 Nov 12

Re: Ask me a cooking question

I have just joined so hi to everyone! I am a novice cook but very eager to learn as much as I can as I LOVE food and cooking thumbsup

Can I please ask for help with a christmas cake.  I am going to make Jamie's traditional cake recipe, which I'm sure will be gorgeous, but I would like to attempt a meringue topping (snow effect-hopefully!!).  My question is, if I cook the cake now and feed it for a couple of weeks, can I put it back in the oven to cook the meringue topping??

I'm being a little bit cheeky and using Lorraine Pascale's topping she used on her christmas wonderland traybake, which calls for 20-25mins in the oven!

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you're able to offer me.

Look forward to reading some interesting and helpful blogs you've all posted to date. smile

Likes (0)

#522 Tue 27 Nov 12 12:35am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum CostalKid smile

I am not sure that that sort of topping would work on a rich fruit cake.

When you make a Rich Fruit cake like a Christmas Cake you layer of marzipan on the cake before you ise it and this helps serve a few  purposes ,
it helps prevent any staining onto the icing from the cake
It gives a flat surface for the icing .
The icing on the cake also keeps well and heps to preserve the cake in good condition.

There are several different types of icing that you can put onto the cake , but the sort you see whipped up looking like snow is simple to make.
I havnt got the recipe to hand at the moment but its generally to be forund on the outside of the icing packets ( as far as I can remember).

I can also remember as a child my brothers favorite icing was some sort of american frosting that we had to boil sugar for and then beat up I really have no idea of the recipe as it was way back in the late 60's and we'd found the recipe once in a magazine I think . But that ising when we managed t get it to work ( as children without such eqiptment as a sugar thermemeter and with a degree of impatiience ) when we did manage to get it to work the result was a crisp light dried sugary icing not unlike meringue.

Likes (0)

#523 Tue 27 Nov 12 12:46am

CoastalKid

Hi Mummza,

Thanks for your reply, really helpful.

On Lorraine's recipe she does include sugar syrup and then the meringue topping on her fruit cake (no booze tho!).

To be honest, no-one in my family like the marzipan or icing hence I'm trying to come up with a nice alternative (that hopefully looks nice )

smile
Do you think I'll be ok going with this topping so long as add the sugar syrup first?

Thanks again so much for your help  neutral

Likes (0)

#524 Tue 27 Nov 12 2:31am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

My main worry would be staining. Especially if you've been feeding the cake, that brown oozy juice can seep like you wouldn't believe. That and maybe burning the cake on the second round in the oven - how long does it take to cook the meringue topping?

I think if you're going to do this, you'll be a bold pioneer, blazing a trail, complete with the risk that it might not work. If it works, I'm sure it'll taste good - after all, Royal icing is a mix of sugar and egg white and tastes similar to meringue - I'm just not sure I could give you good odds right now.

Likes (0)

#525 Tue 27 Nov 12 3:20am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

No I don't think it will work CostalKid , to me it sounds like a sort Italian meringue topping ... But then you said you would be rebaking it .

If you put the cake back in the oven it will be far too dry .christmas cake is an expensive cake to make and it seems a shame to risk ruining it.

What you could do as an alternative to icing is to top the cake with glacÚ fruits and nuts , this looks very pretty and enhanced the fruitiness of the cake .( I think Marks and Spencer's usually sell a similar thing if you want to see what I mean . )

Likes (0)

#526 Tue 27 Nov 12 10:10am

hippytea

From Scotland

Or make a meringue and stick it to the top?

Likes (0)

#527 Tue 27 Nov 12 1:13pm

CoastalKid

Hi hippytea & mummza,

Thank you both soooo much.  I know for sure now that I will not be re-baking so thanks for saving my cake from me  lol
I like the idea of making/baking the meringue and trying to put on top but really not sure I'll do that successfully!!
Did Lorraine's cake work out due to her not having any booze in (or feeding it) hence not so much liquid to stain?
What do you think......would the cooking of the meringue and then putting on top work and would it be pretty straight forward for a novice??
Thank you both for your help, really appreciate it.
Nb. Strangely Jamie does suggest a meringue as topping for this cake (1 of 3 suggestions in his Magazine - Issue 14 Nov/Dec 10)  I would just be adding Lorraine's sugar syrup and much more meringue on top as an alternative! Sorry to be a pain!!

Likes (0)

#528 Tue 27 Nov 12 1:52pm

hippytea

From Scotland

What about crushing up some meringue and sticking it to the cake with glace icing? (icing sugar+water). There was an interesting Christmas cake topping in this month's Delicious magazine, but I can't lay my hand on it right now. It was like a crumbly topping made with sugar lumps, easier than icing. If I find it I will let you know.

As for cooking a meringue and sticking it to the cake, I know I suggested it, but to be honest I've never baked a meringue! That idea should have come with a health warning: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Likes (0)

#529 Tue 27 Nov 12 1:54pm

hippytea

From Scotland

I looked up the recipe that was your inspiration and I'm putting a link so it might spark off some other ideas (from people that know something about meringues) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chris … nter_64957

Likes (0)

#530 Tue 27 Nov 12 1:59pm

CoastalKid

Bless you hippytea, not only Chief cook and bottle-washer....life saver as well!! I'll look on the link you've sent, thanks so much.  Have a little time up my sleeve whilst I feed the cake (and me whilst I'm at it!!!) lol
Thanks again,

Likes (0)